blood thinners (and my aha! moment)

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
laura383
Family Member

blood thinners (and my aha! moment)

Post by laura383 »

I have been doing research on blood thinners, as my Liberation date gets closer so I can understand more about what might be prescribed.

A common one is Coumadin (Wafarin, etc), which inhibits the blood's ability to clot. It's an anti coagulant.

I found you're not supposed to take anti-fungal medications while on it because they make it less effective. They can make the blood clot more and therefore are an antagonist to an anti coagulant. A thickener, not a thinner.

I was taking an anti fungal medication at the beginning of my last attack. It seems to me that it could be a direct cause of the attack, by thickening the blood especially in light of CCSVI.

May or may not be the case but it made sense to me.

Laura
malden

Re: blood thinners (and my aha! moment)

Post by malden »

laura383 wrote: ...I was taking an anti fungal medication at the beginning of my last attack. It seems to me that it could be a direct cause of the attack, by thickening the blood especially in light of CCSVI.

May or may not be the case but it made sense to me.

Laura
It make sense to me to.

I go one step further: last month I started with Aspirin 500 mg 2x per day, 5 days, then reduce it to 1 per day, 10 days, and now I am on 200 mg per day.

Suprisingly, I feel better (less morning fatigue, less sluggishness, able to focus on work, more stable on legs, less stagering...)

Btw, I didnt take any medications before this Aspirin cure.

Best regards,

M.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

So was I (taking an antifungal just before a relapse) Nystatin, but I didn't think that could cause blood clotting??
(I also had my neck clicked by chiro at the same so put my relapse down to that eventually)
Last edited by LR1234 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Wow, Malden, the aspirin cure seems to be working for you. Seems it's all about the blood these days! Thin and it flows more, thick and it flows less.
I wonder of the "thick" idea is really good science, but thick or not something gives the blood a slightly different property that affects at least some of us.
LR1234, there are non prescription blood thinners if you want to try them. Garlic, fish oil, ginger. Also aspririn and a Japanese soy derived compound. And of course maybe the Nystatin was just a factor among many.
I'm going with garlic. I'm one week away from leaving for my procedure so I don't want to do anything too drastic.
malden

Post by malden »

laura383 wrote:Wow, Malden, the aspirin cure seems to be working for you....
So far, so good. And the cost is low, cca 24$ per year. Plus twice a year simple blood test.

M.
Bethr
Family Elder

Post by Bethr »

I did the aspirin thing last year when I was heavily fatigued and sleeping heaps during the daytime. It worked quite well for a few weeks, I was taking 2 x 500mg per day. Then I started to have stomach problems from it, like I had an ulcer sort of feeling, so I stopped.

I still take an aspirin now but in much lower doses. It certainly helped when nothing else did to help keep the fatigue at bay.

Of course, now I've done two full phlebotomies and that worked a whole lot better. I have quite thick blood because of high hemoglobin, high iron, and very high lymphocyte levels.

So a combination of aspirin and phlebotomy seems to work for me (for whatever reason).
alby
Family Member

Post by alby »

Bethr wrote:I did the aspirin thing last year when I was heavily fatigued and sleeping heaps during the daytime. It worked quite well for a few weeks, I was taking 2 x 500mg per day. Then I started to have stomach problems from it, like I had an ulcer sort of feeling, so I stopped.

I still take an aspirin now but in much lower doses. It certainly helped when nothing else did to help keep the fatigue at bay.

Of course, now I've done two full phlebotomies and that worked a whole lot better. I have quite thick blood because of high hemoglobin, high iron, and very high lymphocyte levels.

So a combination of aspirin and phlebotomy seems to work for me (for whatever reason).
Aspirin tend to cause ulcer. take it with food. i take 150mg a day. i dont know, isn't 500 high?
malden

Post by malden »

alby wrote: Aspirin tend to cause ulcer. take it with food. i take 150mg a day. i dont know, isn't 500 high?
There are many different dosage forms for aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) products:
BRAND NAMES: Aspirin, Andol, Arthritis Foundation Safety Coated Aspirin, Bayer Aspirin, Bayer Children's Aspirin, Ecotrin, Ascriptin, Bufferin, Cama, Easprin, Empirin and many others.

Some have special coatings or contain buffers and some are long acting.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist for recommendations on the best product for you.

I am now on one of them, 300mg acetylsalicylic acid with buffer, per day.

M.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Interesting posts--
I had severe liver problems 15 years ago--ended up bleeding too easily, could not take aspirin, and when took too many vits and antioxidants, ran into probs with the bleeding.
Have "cured" the cirrhosis part (with diet and supplements-and time), but still have diffuse parenchymal liver disease--liver needs special care (again diet and supplements), and does not do well with meds, and works on and off at its own pace (still not sure what that is 8O ).

But prior to lliver probs, had Dark Field test done--rouleaux effect, clumping of blood cells, so too thick.

Yesterday, had phlebotomy done, and the technician doing the bloodletting had to use a sort of pincer device with bearings to squeeze the blood along thru the tubing--it was hard to start it flowing, and hard to keep it rolling thru the tube--so again, thick blood.

What i was just thinking-- way before the liver problem, had severe optic neuritis, lost vision in one eye for a few weeks, and extreme pain--typical MS scenario--so thick blood then seen in the Dark Field test (no correlation made with the MS, just that needed more Vit E, niacin).
Then for a while with the sever liver probs, blood actually too thin.
Then resolved the cirrhosis, yet still with liver probs, and again with thick blood.
The MS symptoms over the years waxed and waned--not sure if at this point could easily go back and try to correlate the fluctuations to the thick/thin blood--but certainly now has me wondering. There is definitely a connection here.
kc
Family Elder

Post by kc »

Laura,

I am right with you. For the last couple of years I have been taking krill oil which I felt soo much better on. Well I looked it up and among other things it thins the blood. I can tell if I miss one dose of it. Definitely one of the things I would grab if my house was on fire. \

k :o
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

Krill oil sounds great, kc. In fact I just ordered some to try. What wonderful results. Impressive you can actually tell if you miss one dose, it's really making a diffference.

Yes, shye, it seems there is something to the blood thing for some of us and it only makes sense in the light of CCSVI. That's pretty good, how you figured out all those fluctuations and symptoms and were able to see what caused each thing, and treat it separatley.

Well, my liberation got postponed because the Dr who was going to do it got shut down by his hospital. So I'm going to thin my blood as much as I can while I search out new options. Garlic oil doesn't seem to be doing much in the thinning department for me, on to krill oil!

Hey all, I finally went over to facebook and found lots more info. It's worth checking out.