Was just liberated - have a few postop questions

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
jilthepil
Family Member

Was just liberated - have a few postop questions

Post by jilthepil »

I was liberated 7/21 in NY. Angio of the left IJV + two adjoining stents placed in the azygous. (Which the doctor told me that my azygous looked like a twist-a-balloon from a birthday party).

Anyway - surgery went well on Wednesday a.m. I am having significant postop discomfort in my right upper back/chest area. It has changed since the first few days postop. It is now radiating down into my right breast bone and right rib cage area. Additionally, I have shortness of breath with exertion. I don't feel short of breath all the time - but occasionally if I do too much/too fast.

Can anyone else share with me their pain and discomfort story, the type of symptoms and how long it lasted postop if you had azygous stenting?

Thank you!!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

have you discussed this with your Dr?
jilthepil
Family Member

Post by jilthepil »

I did email him the evening following my surgery and told him about my back/chest discomfort. He said that was normal and should go away within a few days. A different CCSVI friend told me it would take a few weeks. (She had azygous stenting).

My pain level has decreased since Thursday postop, but it has also "shifted" positions a bit and is a bit different now. It seems to be improving compared to Thursday, but I still get moments of discomfort and have trouble getting comfortable with my position when sleeping, etc.

I am wondering if I am just doing too much. I'm never a good postop patient. I want to do normal things right away. :) It also hurts to take a deep breath or to laugh or sneeze. ??

Any insight from a veteran would be great.
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

My wife only had ballooning on the azygous and said hers hurt for a week or so after the procedure. She said she can still "feel" where the balloons were today (1 month later).

Just a heads up ...
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

If I were you, I would get this checked out to make sure there's no thrombosis or stent migration.
jilthepil
Family Member

Post by jilthepil »

How would they check this out? I had this done out of state. I was told by my doctor who did the Liberation that I only needed follow up care with Doppler once a year for my IJV.

Additionally - I was out of it when we spoke postop and I forgot what he said about following up my azygous. I would think that could only be done with venogram again. Right?

I feel like some of my discomfort is probably NORMAL postop pain - but I am a little concerned about the shortnes of breath.
Rosegirl
Family Elder

Post by Rosegirl »

jilthepil,

Congrats on joining the "liberati"! Can you tell us what your symptoms were before the procedure? And have you noticed any changes other than the pain you described?
jilthepil
Family Member

Post by jilthepil »

My symptoms preprocedure were ringing in ears. That is gone. Brain fog. Now gone. Headaches - haven't had one yet. Severe fatigue. Haven't dealt with that yet, just normal fatigue.

My gait is the same and my numbness and tingling seem to be about the same. I can live with that. The ringing in my ears is a huge improvement for me as is the fatigue disappearing. If that is as good as it gets, I will be a happy girl.

My pain seems weirdly located to me. It is now in my right rib area and is sharp at times. Perhaps this is normal. Also - my breathing could be best described as me taking "big breaths" periodically. I get short of breath when I climb the stairs now and it takes me a while to catch my breath. However, I notice that I need to occasionally take very deep breaths to feel relief.

Very weird.
Onthelake
Family Member

Post by Onthelake »

I think you should call the Dr that looked after you and give a full report, I would rather you be safe than sorry. I am hopefully heading to Albany in a few months...best of luck. :)
Onthelake

I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.  Stephen L.