.."read it in the paper, so it must be true"

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
PCakes
Family Elder

.."read it in the paper, so it must be true"

Post by PCakes »

“Journalists do not live by words alone, although sometimes they have to eat them”
Adlai E. Stevenson

<---Winner of today's 'Preposterous Penguin' award ;)

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/wast ... story.html

Paula Simons (columnist)
(780) 429-5266 psimons@thejournal.canwest.com
TMrox
Family Elder

Post by TMrox »

Wow, what are the credentials of the person signing this piece? Is she a neuro, a scientist of some sort?

The title of the piece is "Don't waste medical research money chasing unicorns"
To deny funding to legitimate local research, the better to chase Zamboni's unicorn, would be grossly irresponsible -- to MS sufferers most of all.

What is her definition of legitimate local research? I better ask her...
Diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in December 2008. Inflammatory demyelination of the spinal cord (c3-c5). No MS, but still CCSVI.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Maybe I should stop responding to this stuff. Deaf and dumb people everywhere. The press ain't what it used to be. "And what's more it never was." -Lee Hays
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

more ink for CCSVI . Great :!:

Tomorrow ..... that article will have a proper use ..... wrapping fish :wink:

As can be detected by the tone ...... someone is panicking at the notion of CCSVI taking hold..... Unicorns .... really ..... :twisted:

Most important of all to remember : Newspapers and the media in general ...... must generate CONTROVERSY .... and SENSATIONALISM .... in that they may sell their product.

I do agree with ONE thing in the article . Research funds are to be used wisely . And based on what has evolved in the CCSVI world so far ......

The money spent on CCSVI is worthwhile.

Mr. Success
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

that was originally in an edmonton paper . i'm guessing they copied it to irritate and sell papers . that name Paula Simons is burned in my brain . what a witch .
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

erinc14 wrote:that was originally in an edmonton paper . i'm guessing they copied it to irritate and sell papers . that name Paula Simons is burned in my brain . what a witch .
An award winning witch ;

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/ ... imons.html

Someone is feeding her crap and she is eating it.
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

I guess the new enemies are the journalists?
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

scorpion wrote:I guess the new enemies are newspaper writers?
What is disconcerting for me is she seems to be a very successful writer and most likely has a good sized readership and yet spews this crap. How do these people come with these bizarre conclusions?
I think her opinion was just for trying to be sensational and in the process looks foolish IMO. I like a lot of reporters who write like this

http://www.torontosun.com/life/healthan ... 12086.html
less bias and more professional.
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

erinc14 wrote:that was originally in an edmonton paper . i'm guessing they copied it to irritate and sell papers . that name Paula Simons is burned in my brain . what a witch .
Wow. A witch for expressing her opinion? You guys just keep pushing people away....
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

scorpion wrote:
Wow. A witch for expressing her opinion? You guys just keep pushing people away....
Doubt anything I would say to her or about her would push her or anyone "away" . Her opinion reeks of propaganda it's so distorted and misleading. Her opinion to her blind following is more deadly than your stinger .
concerned

Post by concerned »

So if it's against CCSVI, it's propaganda. If it's for CCSVI, it's...?

Oh wait, I read about CCSVI in the newspaper so it must be true.
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

concerned wrote:So if it's against CCSVI, it's propaganda. If it's for CCSVI, it's...?

Oh wait, I read about CCSVI in the newspaper so it must be true.
it's...placebo

not what I'm saying at all.
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

garyak wrote:
scorpion wrote:
Doubt anything I would say to her or about her would push her or anyone "away" . Her opinion reeks of propaganda it's so distorted and misleading. Her opinion to her blind following is more deadly than your stinger .

First of all I loved the stinger statement! The feeling is probably not mutual but I think I would love to have a couple of beers with some of you guys. Propaganda is defined as :Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position. Hmmmmmm....
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

I would enjoy shooting it over a few beers -seriously . I gave up alcohol in march because my ms was way worse afer a drink. Maybe my alcohol intolerence will improve post liberation:)
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

pcakes, i just gotta tell you, i love your penguins!! the little fellow that keeps getting slapped in the back of the head reminds me of me and life after i got ms. we trudge ahead -get slapped down-but we stand back up to life even if we are in wheelchairs-get another slap upside the head-and we keep on a going somehow. let's all keep the faith that ccsvi treatment will soon be what slaps ms upside the head and it will never raise it's ugly head again.