Anybody had surgery with Dr. Arata--California???

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
lovebug
Family Elder

Testing

Post by lovebug »

I think you can argue over where and how and which test is more effective, the MRV or a DU in order to test for CCSVI. Actually the venogram is the `gold standard` for testing for CCSVI. Pacific Interventionalists are very capable at doing the venogram and CCSVI surgery..........
heartsandskulls
Family Member

Post by heartsandskulls »

I had my consult and my MRV today. The MRV wasn't very conclusive. It showed a malformed valve and the right side of my neck had what looked like a 30% blockage. Dr. Harris said that in their experience most of the patients who didn't have much blockage showing up on the MRV ended up having a lot when they actually went in.

I'm scheduled for the procedure tomorrow. Wish me luck!
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Good luck to you! I wish you all the best!
krcmum
Getting to Know You...

Post by krcmum »

Best wishes. Do please come back to let us know how it goes. I am planning on going there later this year (hopefully)
Thinking of you.
heartsandskulls
Family Member

Post by heartsandskulls »

I'll start a new thread and post my entire experience once I'm back on my computer. I was treated by Dr. Harris who had a great bedside manner. Everyone there was great with the exception of the nurse who I dealt with last. She put me through so much pain that she actually made me start crying because she was putting so much pressure on my incision and didnt seem to care at all. She was obnoxious. She then proceeded to not allow me to dress myself and very aggressively pulled my pants up which I felt was done on purpose in retaliation from Dr Harris coming in when I was crying and ordering her to give me pain meds.

More later!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

heartsandskulls, how awful of that nurse!!! At least everything else was great. Hope you are feeling well.
Crystwo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Crystwo »

Dr. Arata did my CCSVI procedure 12 days ago. I took in a list of all 51 of my symptoms and after reading through the list he said that a preliminary venogram was not necessary...I definately had CSVI. All three veins were 80% messed up. Feeling great since right after procedure til now. Many little changes; I'd highly recommend everyone to write down and rate (1 to 5) your "before" symptoms so that you can keep track.

Dr. Arata, I'd recommend in a heartbeat. Bedside manner great; took all the time you needed to ask and answer questions; Staff friendly and helpful also. Got a CD of pictures and coding numbers for my insurance!
Crys
Y33W

Post by Y33W »

Can you guys give me a feedback about Dr.Arata? Do you recommend me to have the CCSVI surgery with him or not? Or if you have any doctor that you recommend please tell me if you can.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Y33W wrote:Can you guys give me a feedback about Dr.Arata? Do you recommend me to have the CCSVI surgery with him or not? Or if you have any doctor that you recommend please tell me if you can.
He is the best. He treats that valves when he does the angioplasty. I went to him after 3 procedures.(done by other doctors) I wish I had gone to him first. Now all my veins are closed and it is impossible for him to do anything. Everytime you have the procedure done does a little damage to the interior of the vein. Get it done by him, you will not regret it.
Because he can not help me , this man took time from his weekend researching for something that could help me. And he did. Now he is looking for a doctor to do a vein bypass. How many doctors do you know that will go that extra mile?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

dania wrote:Because he can not help me , this man took time from his weekend researching for something that could help me. And he did. Now he is looking for a doctor to do a vein bypass. How many doctors do you know that will go that extra mile?
That is very good of him, your story has been a tough one from the beginning, and I hope that the vascular surgeon's opinion will be that the vein bypass is an option in your case. You are in Canada, this isn't going to be done in Canada or on insurance? That is unbelievably rough. Please before going for the vein graft make sure the vascular surgeon knows about your hypercoaguability and that it is well controlled if that is possible. I am worried, I wish there was more precedence with ccsvi patients getting jugular vein grafts without hypercoaguability before seeing a patient with hypercoagability getting one.