Anybody had surgery with Dr. Arata--California???

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
lovebug
Family Elder

Anybody had surgery with Dr. Arata--California???

Post by lovebug »

If you had surgery with Dr.Arata can you tell me your thoughts about him and the surgery? I have an appt. and I am scared since this whole CCSVI surgery is new but shows great promise for us MS patients. Do you know how many of these surgeries he has performed ?
garyak
Family Elder

Post by garyak »

what city, clinic name or hospital is he/she located ( I have not had surg. from the Dr. )
selkie
Family Elder

Post by selkie »

Someone here gave me his name, so you may hear from them. I called his office. I thought his prices were a little high and I didn't think to ask how many surgeries he'd done. But you certainly have the right to call his office back and ask them how many times he's performed ballooning in jugulars and/or azygos veins. I didn't like it that his nurse hadn't heard of the Haacke protocols, though she was probably just a receptionist. I'm sure Dr. Arata has heard of them!
fogdweller
Family Elder

Post by fogdweller »

I, too am working on getting in with Dr. Arata. From what I can see his group are very well qualified IRs, although I haven't gone yet. Several people who had gave me good reviews. He does his MRV per the Haake protocol. He was in attendance at the Sr. Sclafani seminar, so from what I can see is quite interested and up to date.

the fact he had little waiting list worried me (who would join a club that wwould have them as a member?) but I thank that is changing. Good luck and pm me when you have a date there. Maybe we'll meet.
tiredloulou
Family Member

DR. ARATA

Post by tiredloulou »

so presently, we do not have anyone yet who has actually been to Dr. Arata's office

someone thought his cost was high

I thought his price was same as Albany clinic

I was told, 17 thousand, for Dr. Meht(?)
in albany

unless she made a mistake, secretary.......
val57gal
Family Member

Post by val57gal »

tiredloulou,

Hello! Katie41 and I have both posted several times about having surgery with Dr. Arata. He has been expensive--not so much him, but the hospitals he works at. One reason is the use of IVUS, which is cutting edge but costly.

He's opening a cash-only center next month where the prices will be in line with Albany, I expect.

Anyhow, I've recommended him several times and so has Katie. Do a search of TIMS for Arata and you'll find out.
MamaOf3Girls

Dr. Arata

Post by MamaOf3Girls »

On 8/25 I was told their cash price for procedure at their outpatient facility in Downey would be $8000.

Outside the world of CCSVI, Dr. Arata is highly recommended as an IR.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Mamaof3Girls, do you know if there's an additional charge for testing (MRV, doppler) ahead of time? When he opens the cash-only center, will that be in addition to doing insured patients at his other sites or will he no longer treat insured patients as reported somewhere here? Was that $8000 all-included or is there an additional charge per stent as other places have done?

His use of IVUS alone ranks him highly among possible doctor choices.

In the CCSVI locator blurb awhile back, it mentioned that since they had ten sites that was why there was little to no wait. But he is new to the CCSVI scene too. It's interesting, remember when Dr. Siskin became available? Months worth of appointments scheduled from the calls made that first day? This was back in May, now in August the demand is not as insane. I think too not everyone is like us and able to reject our neuros opinions and seek this out on our own; at what point will the CCSVI docs run low on patients? Or are we an avalanche?
val57gal
Family Member

Post by val57gal »

Cece,

I will ask Dr Arata your questions on Friday (the 3rd). Everybody else, post your questions here or on a PM and I will try to get them answered.

(I may not get to everything--I want to spend some of the time talking about ME. Ain't I selfish?)
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Hi Everyone,

Had my consultation with Dr. Arata yesterday and my procedure today. Was really impressed with Dr. Arata's knowledge and his approach during and post the surgery. No drugs afterward! No lying flat on your back after surgery for hours! Would have been very hard for me. Entered from the left side. Was back in my hotel room several hours later. Very approachable and sounds like he has attended most if not all of the symposiums.

Has been doing this vein thing a good 10 years and the CCSVI procedure for six months - at least 2 per day. They are bombarded now with calls and have had to hire extra office staff.

The cost was $8,000.00 - stents would be included BUT he has only used stents once. Has come a long way since he started. Is very confident in how he does the procedure.

Dr. Arata, office staff and people assisting in the surgery were great.
Trine
Family Member

Post by Trine »

Music wrote:
The cost was $8,000.00 - stents would be included BUT he has only used stents once.

The 8K was the total cost for both diagnosis and treatment? Or is it just for the venoplasty and testing is extra?

So how do you feel? Did you benefit from treatment?

:)
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

The $8,000 was for the procedure only in my case - had testing elsewhere. Don't know if testing is extra?

No big results so far......give me a couple days. Feel good.

Had abnormal valves and narrowings. Also a blockage higher up on the right side.
lovebug
Family Elder

Surgery with Dr. Arata

Post by lovebug »

`MUSIC` Thanks for posting on here about your surgery with Dr. Arata-California. Sounds like he really knows what this whole CCSVI surgery is all about. I am there in 2 weeks also. Take the time now to rest and heal and let us know how you are doing................
val57gal
Family Member

Scoop from Dr A

Post by val57gal »

Met with Dr Arata today and asked about his future CCSVI plans. I doubt I covered everything you want to know, but hey, the conversation wandered.

Right now, he (and his partners) are treating non-insurance patients at the various venous centers they work through. Later this month, they’ll open a dedicated CCSVI center.

If you have insurance, he’ll work with you through the hospitals (that’s what I did).

Their center won’t have IVUS to start with, but they’re looking into it. Unfortunately, it’s very expensive.

As a general rule, he intends to treat May-Thurner through hospitals, since they have IVUS and the ability to use a heavier sedative than he can use in the center. (I’m told those stents hurt.)

I don’t THINK (I could be wrong) the MRV is included in the $8000, since his group doesn’t own the machines. They’re forming relationships with all the Tesla MR machine sites in SoCal.

Other CCSVI stuff we talked about:

Dr A is pursuing the use of bigger balloons as Dr. Tariq is doing in Kuwait. He (Dr A) thinks that Zamboni’s high restenosis rate may be due to the small (10mm) balloons used.

Dr A is updating his website this weekend to explain why he thinks angioplasty/venoplasty is superior to stenting. (http://www.pacificinterventional.com/) .

I posted the discussion about my procedure & results on the “Liberated PPMS’ers” thread.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Thanks Val that answers many questions. I like his approach with the bigger balloons...and 6 mos of experience at this point is also very good.