Beets widen blood vessels

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
L
Family Elder

Beets widen blood vessels

Post by L »

Apparently..

the article's here

What are beets anyway? Not beetroot? Is this American English or am I stupid? Lots of questions.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Beets in the USA are those dark red root vegetables that color the water red when you cook them. Not my favorite, but my wife (who has ms), loves them. They grow very well in our garden. I can tolerate them if they are pickled. The green tops are also very edible.
More evidence that a good diet is very beneficial in keeping MS at bay.
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

tzootsi wrote:Beets in the USA are those dark red root vegetables that color the water red when you cook them. Not my favorite, but my wife (who has ms), loves them. They grow very well in our garden. I can tolerate them if they are pickled. The green tops are also very edible.
Great, thanks. It's called beetroot here then. I love beetroot. That's handy.
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

Potatoes widen the blood vessels too, but it really hurts to jam them in there. Once in, they tend to impinge on blood flow, so use very small beets or potatoes!

All kidding aside, we ought to enrich our diets with "foods that stain"; beets, cherries, turmeric blackberries, etc. Red wine is very good too. The phyto-nutrients are very beneficial in a plethora of ways.
I'm not sure of that... I have always had a good diet - principally organic and vegetarian (but not vegan), and have always viewed food as medicine. It may have prevented me from getting really bad, really quickly, but it did not keep "MS" at bay. My brother eats at McDonald's and Wendy's and such, had hepatitis as a kid, drinks a dozen beers a day, and is "healthy". If anyone is a candidate for dis-ease, it is him. He was also born in May, and I in December, so again, a more likely candidate for "MS", but it was me who got hit.

A good diet is very important, but I don't count on it. I have yet to discern any rhyme or reason to my own ailment. I think it is bacteriologic in nature. I will do a blinded study when next I have an optic neuritis.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Post by prairiegirl »

Johnson wrote:Potatoes widen the blood vessels too, but it really hurts to jam them in there. Once in, they tend to impinge on blood flow, so use very small beets or potatoes!
HA-- and laughter helps too, so thanks for that!
I also agree that a good diet may be beneficial but is not a guarantee to keep symptoms or progression at bay.
But your blinded study after your next ON should shed some light on that. 8) Needed the laughs after some of the news the last couple of days. Thx, NJ!
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Johnson wrote:I'm not sure of that... I have always had a good diet - principally organic and vegetarian (but not vegan)
fantastic! always good to meet another vegetarian!

My diet's always been very good but my MS very aggressive, by the way..
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

:lol: :lol: :D Johnson, that was good stuff!!
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Oh my goodness! That was wonderful Johnson! I'm sitting here LOL ... hubby walked in and wanted to know what was so funny but couldn't understand the potato thing, which had me cracking up more...yep, I'm tired.

Thanks for a great way to end my day.... smiling.

~^--^~
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

nj -
thanks for the laugh and the smile. :D
late-night talk shows on tv can get me to laugh, but i find things that make me smile more rare. i appreciate it.
dlb
Family Elder

Post by dlb »

Not Johnson,

You've reached "stand-up" status! Thanks for that chuckle.... you have no idea how badly I needed that tonight!
kc
Family Elder

Post by kc »

I take a supplement everyday called blood builder which contains beetroot. I would be without it, even after being liberated.
No diets do not guarantee anything as far as ms progression. I did not eat any sugar (any)for 3 yrs or anyjunk food or gluten or dairy. No go I still got worse.
Although I still notice that when I eat fatty foods I feel worse. I am thinking they thicken the blood.
I could never drink coffee, and I still even have issues with chocolate.

k