Appointment dates for Albany Community Care

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Athena
Getting to Know You...

Post by Athena »

Hi just got a phone call from Albany Community Care. They have opened up some dates in Dec.
I originally got my first call back on June 3. I am Canadian. I could have gotten an appointment on December 17 but I have decided to wait until February. They will be calling me back when they have the February schedule. They have not yet even started scheduling persons in January. Thanks everybody for posting their experience, because of this I knew that I would be called soon and I had already prepared in my mind that it would work best for me to go in February.
Kindest regards to all of you,
Athena
Last edited by Athena on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TFau
Family Elder

Post by TFau »

bruce123 wrote:Just a short update.

My wife got a call from Dr. Englander last evening. Her appointment is Dec. 1st and the doctor was calling to answer any questions we had and to ask my wife about what MS symptoms she suffers from and what medications she is on.

Dr. Englander was very nice and very reasuring. She has done over 200 of these procedures. Her phone call helped put my wife at ease.

Bruce.

on the list May 26
got appointment call on Oct. 18
Appointmet date is Dec. 1
That sounds very exciting Bruce. I guess that my husband should get a call in the next couple of weeks from Dr. Mandato, since his appt is Dec. 14th. I hope it puts him at ease. We're both getting pretty jittery! It's nice to have people here to go through this with!

I'm trying to decide which hotel to book. Does anyone have any suggestions?
bruce123
Family Elder

Post by bruce123 »

TFau wrote: I'm trying to decide which hotel to book. Does anyone have any suggestions?
When I checked on Goggle maps there seemed to be many hotels to choose from, at all price ranges. Since we are not considering this a "vacation", we decided to go with an inexpensive place. We will be staying at the Quality Inn & Suites, 611 Troy-Schenectady Rd., Phone: (518) 785-5891. Its just down the road from the clinic. We have a small suite at only $99 per night and there's free hot breakfast. I can let you know if its nice when we get back but it looks fine on the web site.

Dr. Englander told us that someone else from the clinic will be calling us next week to make sure we have all our travel and accommodations in order. For us its only a 6 hour drive so its not a big deal. I feel very lucky that we don't have to deal with the stress of getting through an airport.

Bruce.
happy_canuck
Family Elder

Post by happy_canuck »

TFau wrote:
I'm trying to decide which hotel to book. Does anyone have any suggestions?
We took a suite at La Quinta. Basic airport area hotel, with a free hot breakfast.
National CCSVI Society: <strong><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/44znbct">http://tiny ... 44znbct</a> ~Website<br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/3wzmkmg">http://tiny ... 3wzmkmg</a> ~Facebook</strong><br />
Guider
Family Member

Post by Guider »

Hi everyone,

I've had quite some trouble for a while trying to log in to this site again but today I was determined to do so because I have news!! :)

My son received his appointment today! We first called the clinic on June 1st. and received the return call within a day or 2, then the e-mail asking us to be patient.

Today, Nov. 17th he received a call for an appt. date of Dec. 14th, 2010. He was told a pre-Doppler will be done on the 13th, angio on the 14th, and post angio Doppler on the 15th. We are all so excited. :D :D

Guider
Live to the fullest; Love passionately; Laugh contagiously!
Guider
Family Member

Post by Guider »

To all:

Should have added we are Canadian without insurance.

Guilder
Live to the fullest; Love passionately; Laugh contagiously!
Bobbi
Family Member

Post by Bobbi »

This is the list I put together last week of MSers following the thread: “Appointment dates for Albany Community Care” or have been or going to Albany Community Care.
Things are happening!! Check out the BOLD !!
Name;CAN/US;Date signin;Apt Date
Diane P;CAN;Apr;July14: Tim D;CAN;Apr;Aug5:
Dawn S;CAN;Apr;Oct1: Alberta ;CAN;Apr;Oct5:
Happy_C;CAN;May12;July7; 1eye;CAN;?;Aug23:
gregw;CAN;May24;Oct6: Shueywho;CAN;May20;Oct7:
Bruce123;CAN;May26;Dec 1: Tfau(husband);CAN;May28;Dec14:
Guider(son);CAN;June1;Dec17: Athena;CAN;June3;Dec14>Feb:
Dee13;CAN;June6;TBA?: Daniel;CAN;June21;TBA:
Redfern;CAN;June28;TBA?: LisaAnn;CAN;June14;TBA?:
Scotland;CAN;June28;TBA?: Blaze;CAN;June28;TBA?:
NormB;CAN;July9;TBA?: Katta;CAN;July13;TBA?:
Gail M;CAN;July;TBA?: Bobbi;CAN;July19;TBA?:
Ingrid;CAN;July26;TBA: ThornyRose;CAN;Julyend;TBA?: Issa;CAN;Oct22;TBA?: Genine P;CAN;Oct29;TBA?

rcb0407;US;July19;Nov30: Trish317;US;May18;Sept14:
Siduri;US;June15;Oct20: naychergirl;US;June;Oct8:
rssugg;US;June;Nov8: Brave;US;June28;Nov24:
detneamber;US;July15;Dec 29: Java Bean;US;?;Dec13:
longman111;US;?;Dec17: MSHope;US;?;TBA?

Let me know if there is more data to add to this.
Bobbi
Last edited by Bobbi on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao-Tzu
daniel
Family Elder

Post by daniel »

Here's mine:

Name;CAN/US;Date signin;Apt Date
Daniel;CAN;June21;TBA

I think I have a better chance of getting in with Dr. Mehta in Albany sooner than Dr Siskin tho
TFau
Family Elder

Post by TFau »

We will be staying at the Quality Inn & Suites, 611 Troy-Schenectady Rd., Phone: (518) 785-5891. Its just down the road from the clinic. We have a small suite at only $99 per night and there's free hot breakfast. I can let you know if its nice when we get back but it looks fine on the web site.

For us its only a 6 hour drive so its not a big deal. I feel very lucky that we don't have to deal with the stress of getting through an airport.

Bruce.[/quote]

Thanks Bruce. I'll check out the Quality Inn, and if you think of it, please do let me know what you think. I hope that you'll have more exciting things to think about after your wife's procedure though!

We'll be driving from Oakville. I'm also glad to avoid airports. I think that our drive is also 6 hours, maybe 7.
bruce123
Family Elder

Post by bruce123 »

"Brave" from California is in Albany today for testing and will have the procedure tomorrow.

Good luck, we're pulling for you.

Bruce.
Trish317
Family Elder

Post by Trish317 »

bruce123 wrote:"Brave" from California is in Albany today for testing and will have the procedure tomorrow.

Good luck, we're pulling for you.

Bruce.
Sending prayers and good thoughts....
brave
Family Member

Post by brave »

Thank you very much for all prayers and well wishes.

Here is update at my procedure done by Dr Siskin in Albany
My ultrasound was done on Tuesday and technician told me that Dr Siskin will review the result with me after ultrasound is done but unfortunately Dr Siskin didn't have time to see me after ultrasound and technician told me that Dr will talk to me next day right before the procedure !!

Dr Siskin stopped by for few minutes while I was ready to be taken to operation room and told me that he doesn’t see major blockage in my veins but he sees mild blockage and he'll find out more during the procedure.

Procedure went fine and smooth, I was in sleep throughout the procedure and just able to respond to couple instructions like "don't breath"

After I woke up, Dr Siskin stopped by and told me that my
LJ was the worst one and he ballooned all 3 veins, recommended taking Aspirin 325 mg daily for 6 months and was discharged after 5 hours.

I had to stay in Albany couple more days to get post procedure ultrasound done (next day was national holiday)

I didn't feel well the rest of day after procedure and day after due to side effect of anesthesia and sedation (make sure to inform nurses if you experienced nausea previously due to sedation, they give medicine to reduce the extend)

I had the second ultrasound done after 2 days but as it was coincided with Thanksgiving holiday, Dr Siskin was out and couldn't review it with me and according to technician, they'll mail me one copy of the result.

All together, Dr Siskin and Staff are very kind and care.

We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn, it's OK (it’s not 5 stars hotel) and conveniently attach to Hospital, restaurant and Starbucks in premise.
Those who are scheduled for procedure in clinic, there is Quality Inn and Marriot close to clinic and airport.

We rented a car since we had to travel between Hospital and clinic (ultrasounds are done in clinic)

Still can't say anything about improvement as after the procedure had to deal with side effect of sedation for couple days and right after that 8 hours flight to get back home.I'm weaker than before the procedure

I hope this info helps you a bit and please feel free to let me know if you have any question that I might be able to answer.

brave
TFau
Family Elder

Post by TFau »

Thank you for the update brave. I'm glad that you're home safe and sound. I hope that you feel even a little improvement in the coming days.

We got a call from Dr. Mandato on Thanksgiving Thursday and he mentioned how busy they are since it was a holiday and many people had holidays. I can understand if you felt a bit neglected but it's great that you felt cared for overall!
Bobbi
Family Member

Post by Bobbi »

Brave... Thank you for sharing so soon after the procedure. Now that you are home, may the blood flow through your veins and bring new life to your body.
Let us know how you are progressing. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Phyllis
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao-Tzu
bruce123
Family Elder

Post by bruce123 »

Brave, I hope you are feeling better soon. It seems that many people gain improvments over a period of a few months so be patient. Please keep us informed.

My wife and I leave tomorrow for Albany. Her procedure is on Wednesday. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Bruce.