Page 1 of 1

How soon to fly apres procedure? HELP PLEASE

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 pm
by Interrupted
I'm just sorting out flight dates etc. My two days of tests and procedure (Katowice) are on the 11th and 12th Oct (hooray, quiver, shake, dare hope etc!) Now the earliest I can leave is the 15th, but i'm not sure whether it's wise to tag on a couple of extra days (17th) to be safe. This of course incurs more hotel bills on an already monstrous and scary amount of debt to pay off.

So for those who've had the procedure, how long apres procedure was it until you felt fit, healed enough, and safe to fly?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

P.S. If anyone else is in Katowice on those dates, please do PM me :D

Re: How soon to fly apres procedure?

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:11 pm
by Johnson
Interrupted wrote:I'm just sorting out flight dates etc. My two days of tests and procedure (Katowice) are on the 11th and 12th Oct (hooray, quiver, shake, dare hope etc!) Now the earliest I can leave is the 15th, but i'm not sure whether it's wise to tag on a couple of extra days (17th) to be safe. This of course incurs more hotel bills on an already monstrous and scary amount of debt to pay off.

So for those who've had the procedure, how long apres procedure was it until you felt fit, healed enough, and safe to fly?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

P.S. If anyone else is in Katowice on those dates, please do PM me :D
Pardon me for interrupting...

Hooray! and dare to hope for sure. Quiver and shake... there is no need. You will laugh at your trepidation immediately after the procedure.

As far as flying, you will feel great as soon as the procedure is done, and providing there is no complication with bleeding at the entry site in the groin, you could leave the next day, in my experience. If you really want to stay a few days extra, I would think to leave on the Tuesday (19th?) just in case you need some follow-up. I was done on a Tuesday in June, and by Thursday, thought that I was re-stenosing. I went to the office Friday at noon to ask for a Doppler to check before I left on the Sunday, but they were only doing Doppler in the morning, and so I left pretty sure that I was re-stenosing, and I was. The hotel is "only" about $100/night, so not too egregious. Personally, I don't see much point in staying for the week-end. Get medical cancellation insurance for your flight in case you do need more attention.

I will be in Katowice for re-treatment from Oct. 5th - 12th. I think it is better to go a couple of days early to get over the flight before your treatment. Feel free to PM me if you want to connect in Poland. I will have had my second treatment on the 8th.

Just look forward to it, and don't worry.

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:02 pm
by Interrupted
Hi Johnson,

I'd definitely be interested to have a cuppa in the hotel and chat if you're a willing victim of interrogation! :D

I'm not sure what to make of what you've said because you say you don't see much point in staying for the weekend after, but previous to that say if i'm worried to think about staying to the 19th? (9 days after I fly out on 10th?)
I'm brain foggy and confused! lol

Thank you very much, though, for your thoughts :idea:

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:42 pm
by Johnson
Interrupted wrote:Hi Johnson,

I'd definitely be interested to have a cuppa in the hotel and chat if you're a willing victim of interrogation! :D

I'm not sure what to make of what you've said because you say you don't see much point in staying for the weekend after, but previous to that say if i'm worried to think about staying to the 19th? (9 days after I fly out on 10th?)
I'm brain foggy and confused! lol

Thank you very much, though, for your thoughts :idea:
Yes, I'm a bit on the foggy side myself.

Euromedic would like you to stay for 3 or 4 days after the procedure, which I think is reasonable - just in case. For me, that was the Friday after. On the Friday, I thought I needed more attention (I was re-stenosing), but was unable to see a Doctor until the following Monday - the day after my flight home (I was booked for Sunday). If I had stayed one more day, it might have been determined that I needed another treatment, and the doctor might have given me a medical reason to stay, and cancellation insurance would have covered extra costs. Or, perhaps the doctor would have just said to give it 3 months (stock answer).

Blah, blah, but in answer to your question as to how soon you can fly; for me, I was fine to leave the day after - other than the re-stenosis. My incision site had clotted up within an hour of the procedure, so there was no risk of bleeding. There may be other reasons to not leave right away - for instance if you get a stent that needs to be checked before you leave, different blood thinners than I had (Fraxiparine for 7 days), or other complications.

Bah! I'm having trouble expressing myself. The three days Euromedic suggests to stay after the procedure is ample to recover for flying in my view.

Clear as mud?

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:51 am
by Interrupted
Excellent, thank you x

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:51 am
by eyebrow
Hi interrupted,
I went to Katowice in August. Tests Monday, Procedure Tuesday, review Wednesday. Advised beforehand OK to fly home Friday, and I was but didn't actually leave until Saturday because there are cheap flights home for me on Saturdays. (Wizzair). All the people I met there were fine and fit to travel. Most had come from Canada, and had to change at Frankfurt but were all ready to go unless they had chosen to book flights beforehand allowing a bit extra time. It is just a 2hr. flight for me anyway. I did have a problem with severe bruising on my thigh because I didn't do as I was told and lie flat for a couple of hours after the procedure to allow the vein to heal. As soon as I discovered I could move my legs I had to try them out, as you can imagine my elation, and I forgot all about lying still. (oops!) I was a bit worried about the bruise so I saw a doctor again, who prescribed some lotion, an additional blood thinner. Never-the-less, I was still able to fly. You can get travel insurance (All Clear) in case you have to stay longer.

All that said, good luck - you'll be fine.

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:00 am
by Interrupted
Thanks eyebrow,

Interesting you mentioned All Clear, because I had a conversation with them and discovered that the cancellation policy was only valid for cancellations of the whole trip before actually leaving England. Everything to do with the procedure would have been void and not covered...?

I've now booked with easyjet from 10th-17th and figure if all's ok on the 15th then we'll probably go and stay in Warsaw for the weekend and go see Auschwitz if i'm cool to wander about. Decided this because I thought it would be a shame to go there are not take the opportunity, plus then I wouldn't be far from Katowice should any problems occur :roll:
We couldn't get Saturday flights! Had never heard of Wizzair, but will note it now! Many thanks, love to hear what you did re: All Clear? x