CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Dr. Flanagan,

I'm so upbeat and full of hope. :D

From a worldwide viewpoint, 2011 is definitely going to be an exciting year for those with "MS," CCSVI, CCVBP, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and traumatic injuries thanks to the extraordinary efforts of the Zamboni, Beal, and Hubbard families; of dedicated pioneering doctors including the phenomenal doctors here at TIMS; of advocacy organizations filled with wonderful people like CCSVI Alliance; and of patients and caregivers everywhere.

From a personal viewpoint, the neurological consequences of my congenital intracranial venous malformations (shown on MRV: absent dural sinuses) and CCSVI (shown on US/venography: inverted IJV valves=90/95% blockages; azygos = awaiting IVUS due to T5-T9 lesions/symptoms) were compounded by the neurological consequences of my acquired CCVBP (shown on X-ray: trauma of a head tilt and two broken necks (from downhill skiing); and stenosis, spondylosis, and scoliosis).

To give my CCSVI procedure every possible chance for success, I'm working on getting my head on straight <smiling> while I wait for my turn with IVUS. I am extremely thankful for all of my doctors.

It's going to be a great year :D
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Walla. You've got it. It all adds up untill it reaches a breaking point. I don't know about your azygous vein but its impossible to have spondylosis, stenosis or scoliosis without affecting the vertebral veins.

Briefly, I was contacted by several interesting cases. One was a sixty year old male with Parkinson's. He was an avid skiier and severly fractured his ankle so they set it and pinned it. He now has a significant pelvic tilt with a counter shoulder tilt with a scoliosis in between and a head tilt with upper cervical misalignment.

The other case is a young male age twenty-four. He fractured his femur playing soccer in his teens. It required a stabilizer. He is now developing MS symptoms. He has a leg length discrepancy, significant pelvic and shoulder tilts, scoliosis, a reversal in cervical curvature called a kyphosis and a rotational misalignment of his upper cervical spine.

The last one was a young male age twenty-one who has bilateral optic neuritis. He had venoplasty with no improvement. His vision has become so poor he had to surrender his drivers liscense. He was in bicycle accident as a young teen in which he was knocked unconscious. I haven't heard anything about his x-rays yet but I can surely guess.

There is clearly a connection to trauma. There is only so much stress and strain you can put on the structure of the spine before it starts to affect the brain and cord. Genetic design issues compound the problem.
Kathryn333
Family Member

Post by Kathryn333 »

uprightdoc wrote:Kathryn333,
Bioflavinoids, rutins and hesperdines are part of the vitamen C complex. In oranges they are found in the white skin between the flesh and the fruit. Vitamen C complex strengthens the integrity of cell walls to prevent leaking. You also need a sound diet that supports the health of the circulatory system and you want to be cautious using blood thinners like aspirin that increase bleed time.
Thank you again, Dr. Flanagan, for the information and advice. I'll be heading to the health food store tomorrow in search of supplements. I would have gone today, but it's a holiday in Ontario. Thank you for mentioning the aspirin. I had just started taking an aspirin a day as a preventive measure.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

I love what I am hearing and perseverance has worked as you predicted Dr..
Well done, look out world.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

i am so thrilled that after 20 yrs. what was just beating my head off the wall when everywhere i went for help and would tell them i was fine until i had that very bad fall. there is something your missing. there is something out of whack. "why when i tilt my head can i move better." what about these spurs at the base of my skull. on and on. and, frankly treated pretty rude and ignorant by some neuro.'s and a certain vascular dr. at the cleveland clinic who bascically mocked me when i told him that after the fall my body because of certain symptoms i felt my blood was not flowing right. something was hindering it. BUT THEY HAD NO ANSWERS--AND THE SADDEST PART IS --"THEY WOULDN'T EVEN TRY TO FIND OUT. " THEY WERE TOO HUNG UP ON MAINSTREAM WHATEVER" AND FRANKLY THERE WERE A FEW THAT WERE HUNG UP ON THEMSELVES.

My first neuro., when he told me a trauma could not cause ms. i told him then i don't have what you are referring to as ms if trauma doesn't cause it. and, i have never felt different about that.

so after 20 yrs. of battle, this is bittersweet for sure. yes, i am bitter that noone i could find would even try to give me an answer as to why when i tilted my head i could move better or why my feet would warm up when i positioned my head a certain way. many things that if i were a dr. i'd have to at least try to get some answers.

but, the sweet part is that dr. flanangan has come into our lives. with some real answers that make sence, with the knowledge to back it. i don't know if it's too late for me--time will tell--i pray i can get relief and 20 yrs. of damage can be undone to at least a better place than i am right now. i'm hoping for pluses not minuses for a change. i hope we can all get the miracle "costume" speaks of--"they can happen."

more "sweet" will be when whatever type of dr.'s there are out there that can add their knowledge and skill to getting this all figured out get together and DO IT. this stuff that certain fields own this or that disease isn't working. in fact, i'm sure it may be a jolt to some "not all" dr.'s EGO's that a mere CHIRO. in their eyes would play a hugh part in getting us well. heaven forbid. well they better get prepared to learn something.

WELL, MAINSTREAM MEDICINE, THEY HAD AND STILL DO HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH CCSVI AND IR'S COMING INTO THE PICTURE AND HELPING SOME OF US BUT WE ALL STOOD OUR GROUND AND LOOK AT THE PROGRESS IN THAT SHORT TIME-------NOW, WE GOT A NEW KID ON THE BLOCK, "DR. FLANAGAN" "OH MY GOD HE'S A CHIRO. MAIN STREAM WILL WANT TO CHANGE MS MEANING TO MENTAL SCARS----------------THESE MSERS CAN'T BE SERIOUS. BUT GUESS WHAT----SEEMS TO ME HE HAS MORE UNDERSTANDING, KNOWLEDGE, EXPLANATION AND THROUGH HIS GUIDANCE THERE ARE MANY ALREADY SEEING MORE IMPROVEMENTS WHEN TREATED BY THE RIGHT CHIRO.'S THAN THEY DID BY GETTING DRUGGED OR ANYTHING INVASIVE AND IS THE CHEAPEST TREATMENT IN THE WHOLE SCHEME OF THINGS.

so dear DR. FLANAGAN, your followers are here,the lurkers are coming out, the ones being helped are speaking up and i'm sure there are many in the shadows waiting and watching. but be assured that WE GOT YOUR BACK AND THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME. THANK YOU AGAIN.

AND, thank you also, DR. KOONTZ for your time and valuable advice that you so freely and kindly add to this site. your participation is much appreciated.
blossom
Family Elder

CCSVI

Post by blossom »

dr. flanagan, when i get my mri of cervical and complete spine are there any specifics you would recommend? is with contrast the best? i wish i had the strength to stand in an upright mri, there is one in pittsburgh. but,i can not stand without holding on and that is brief.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Can anyone suggest a good UCC Doctor near Shelby Twp., Michigan?
I think I would like to try that approach before Liberation.

Thank you
formyruca
Family Member

Post by formyruca »

http://www.wellness.com/dir/446771/chir ... -bowler-dc

Dr. Bowler
Ferndale

I have just had my first consultation with Dr. Bowler and have not been adjusted yet. She was not aware of CCSVI before my visit, but she is aware of Dr. Flanagan.

She does require that the patient have a driver after an adjustment.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Blossom,
You can sit down for an Upright MRI. You don't have to stand but you should check witht the facility first to make sure.
A contast agent can in helpful in cases such as yours but not necessary. Certain brands of gadolinium contrast agents for MRI are known to cause serious kidney problems in patients with impaired kidney function. You have the opposite problem. You have bladder frequency so it is less likely. Nonetheless, you should discuss the MRI and contrast agent with Dr. Weimer or your neurologist. I suspect that your findings will be obvious enough that you won't need contrast agents.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

David1949 wrote:Can anyone suggest a good UCC Doctor near Shelby Twp., Michigan?
I think I would like to try that approach before Liberation.

Thank you
And speaking of Michigan, does anyone know about a UCC doc in Escanaba or Marquette? I'm convinced, Dr Flanagan :)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Dr. Flanagan, if I may...

Nigel (NZer1),

I'm so sorry for the earthquake that has ravaged your country. I just got done Googling New Zealand; thank goodness Rotorua is on the North island, not the South island -- I was sooooo worried about you. My thoughts are with you and your countrymen, and you're all in my prayers. Please post as soon as you can.

~Pam
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thank for thoughts happy poet, and the effort to look where I am. I live far enough that it is very safe for me although I live on an active fault line and in a Geothermal area. I have been sending positive thoughts and prayers.
As a total aside I do believe in the energy of change (that Nature has put out around the world recently, with weather, quakes and other disasters) and for some reason in a way that we as humans don't understand. There is great sadness during these times and positives and learnings for those effected. And a brighter for those left.
In addition there are rings of energy that emit from the center and other earth shaking things happen around an epicenter.
I wish to acknowledge here that for me my world has had a high magnitude shake as well. With no prior warning my wife has left me. There are reasons in her mind that she has not been able to discuss with me, mostly due to (in my understanding) her need to protect me from (for my MS's sake), because of the effect it would have had daily (on my MS and disability). Her own health has recently (totally unbeknown to me, (she still is walking marathons regularly)) taken her by surprise, and she has had a scare that had her wanting to re-evaluate EVERYTHING in her life, as she said she thought her problem, what ever it is could be life threating. I have no idea what is wrong with her as it is too hard for her in this raw moment to tell me.
She has moved out with her two teen age children with about four days notice and I am left with no income, $4.00 to my name and some bills to pay before paying the regular life bills such as mortgage and food.
So without going into more detail my life at the door step has been rocked.
I am doing ok and to some level am still in shock. My wife was in hospital yesterday for some sort of testing and I won't be told how that goes. I pray it is positive in every way for her and her children and outer family.
We have a welfare system in NZ and I have been and asked (cap in hand) for support.
As a PwMS it has knocked me. I find that I am lost in so many ways and it is so important to have these positives happening for PwMS here on TiMS and other sites for me to focus on the positives and understanding of other PwMS and the passionate helpers (especially people like our two Dr's F and K).
I didn't plan this to be soo long but it helps the healing to acknowledge it to others appropriately.
Thank you for listening.
Have a wonderful day everyone,
Regards Nigel
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

I want to swear here! Please tell me there is someone who can help you there! I am so sorry to hear this Nigel, I hope she gets over her shock and comes to her senses. What did the kids think?
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

formyruca wrote:http://www.wellness.com/dir/446771/chir ... -bowler-dc

Dr. Bowler
Ferndale

I have just had my first consultation with Dr. Bowler and have not been adjusted yet. She was not aware of CCSVI before my visit, but she is aware of Dr. Flanagan.

She does require that the patient have a driver after an adjustment.
formyruca
How did you find Dr Bowler? Is she a garden variety chiropractor or does she specialize in UCC? It seems we have chiropractors on every corner around here but they are mainly focused on making adjustments to the spine that cause my back to go pop. I'm currently recovering from a herniated disc I got while using the snow blower in the driveway, so I don't want to do anything that might worsen that.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

whyRwehere wrote:I want to swear here! Please tell me there is someone who can help you there! I am so sorry to hear this Nigel, I hope she gets over her shock and comes to her senses. What did the kids think?
Thanks why, I have a sister who is incredible and she is keeping me together and watching like a hawk. The kids don't really know more than I do and the son(eldest) stayed longer to try and get his head around it as well. He has gone out flatting as his way of coming to terms with this. The kids will be fine if the worst did happen, (sounds callous, but the bottom line is just that), and are always welcome back as they know from me directly talking with them, in the brief moments alone we had before my wife left.
I very much appreciate your concern, thanks why. :D
Nigel