CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

The story is too long so I will just give you the symptoms which are: blurry vision, tinnitis, trigeminal neuralgia, dry mouth, burning tongue, excessive thirst, disturbed sleep, unexplained fatigue (infrequent) frequent urination, atrophy of the trapezius muscles, numbness and tingling in both feet, severe spasms of the entire right leg, foot and toes, that's hard to describe, tremors of the right leg during sleep, off and on Babinskin signs and clonus of the right foot, right leg "give way "weakness that causes me to stumble, and lastly occassional annoying paresthesias in the hands and feet during which dry things like painted walls, paper napkins, ceramic tile floors, and especially spackle dust and sheetrock, and sometimes even soft cotton denim makes my skin crawl. It seems when the leg goes it works its way up my entire spine. I never saw it coming. Fortunately, my wife is a chiropractor and most of it is under control. My biggest problem right now is my right leg and spasms in the spine. Aside from that I am actually in fairly good health and phyically fit.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Well, its 7.30 a stunning day has dawned.
Thanks Dr. out of pure curiosity did a label become attached to your symptoms.
I can now see where passion has grown. The "it' knew better is a saying that I use in times of understanding these situations where something has driven us to the place we are now to learn and live what we are at this moment.
Thank for your honesty and I also wish you well with your journey, it feels like we are in this together my friend.
Namastay
Best wishes Nigel.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

No. No label yet except for the many MRI and x-ray findings. Actually my interest began long before I had any of my current problems, which my wife and I manage quite well.

The condition came on unexpectedly and progressed quickly. Because of my history I saw several orthopedic surgeons for the joints and rheumatologists for the rheumtological problems due to severe RA in family. My mother had a slipped dens of C2 and an Otto's Pelvis where the hip pierces through and penetrates into the pelvis. My grandmother died from RA soon after I was born. RA is associatd with spondylosis and scoliosis. Interestingly, it is sometimes associated with normal pressure hydrocephalus. I also had several dentists check, x-ray, cap, re-xray and even grind a tooth that they seemed to the source of the trigeminal neuralgia.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

There are some Erie paralells here for me and no doubt a large part of our community.
Curiosity is growing. :wink:
Is there a time frame and age relation that I can get my head around. I don't want to assume and make an ass of myself. It sounds late onset, yet you also mention history and I would also guess there is some injuries along the way that have, in your mind, an influence as well.
Yes I could be called nosey and I can guarantee it is about learning. I have been recently told that I want to know too much about people and that I 'should' be less intrusive, so I keep checking myself so that my intension is known and it is for your good as well as ours.
:D
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Forget about me, you should read the lastest comment on Chiari, CCSVI and Trauma on my wordpress blog.

I was about fifty-five when things started to happen and seemed to be rather basic orthopedic problems, except for the unusual leg spams and tremors. It started to get trigeminal neuralgia about two years later. It started like a tooth problem then it affect the eye, cheek, chewing and eating. I have numerous x-ray and MRI findings of an L5/S1 disc and degenerated discs at C5/6 and C6/7. I have full thickness in both rotator cuffs in infraspinatus and supraspinatus muscles and moderate degeneration of the right hip. I have a mild compensatory curvature in the upper spine a twist more than a tilt in the pelvis. I have atrophy of upper trapezius muscles. I have significant loss of range of motion in my shoulder and difficulty with certain tasks but no big deal. I have been jogging three to four miles daily since fourteen but it got to wear I could barely walk a mile about two year ago and continues to plague me. On the other hand, despite bilateral rotator cuff tears I can easily swim a mile free style. I can still do my martial arts forms which actually help the leg, especially the cat stance. Other forms are great for my shoulders. Basically, I am banged, beat up and bruised like many people. My injuries just reached a breaking point and I wasn't paying attention or treating them well. I can just get the right leg under control I will be a happy camper.
Kathryn333
Family Member

Post by Kathryn333 »

Dr. Flanagan, I was upset when I read your posting. I’m so sorry to learn of your health situation. You’ve spent your entire career helping others feel better and spent months on this thread sharing your vast knowledge. Your advice has helped so many of us. I'm sorry you're going through this.
Nigel, I think we’re feeling the same way, and I think it’s called “concern”. We really are all in this together searching for answers.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Under the spot light again sorry.
How was and how is it now, your upper spine alignment? Atlas, axis?
And the other thing I tend to ask people is, have you considered CCSVI ultrasound to Zamboni specs investigation, looking for reflux?
With all that we are being taught I am interested to hear your approach to finding what can be treated and what cannot, and your views and options about timing these types of approaches.
I had a look at the page you mentioned. (I am mentally slow almost stopped now, its been a long day and I am off to the Bank to plead soon.) Did you mean for my case?
In my case the imaging done on MRI(s) did not show Chari Type issues. I have thought that my symptoms fit the Chari dx but is it possible that only upright MRI would give a true indication? Other clue was Lumbar punch head aches for 6 weeks?Low BP and CSF would be low as well? Cord lesion at C2? Neck injury in youth? Male age 51? Southern Hemisphere 45 south? English/Scottish ancestry? Uncle with MS? Mother with health issues eg diabetes, may have also been low Vit D during pregnancy although July birth, though 2nd child? dx ed with post traumatic stress syndrome due to childhood problems at home?
Regards Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Nigel,
I don't need CCSVI testing right now because my condition is manageable. When it comes to MS signs and symptoms I would be in the probable category because of the SS and RR over five years. The trigeminal neurlagia is gone and when it comes back it is very mild and goes away quickly. The bizaare paresthesias are infrequent now, mild and just annoying. On the other hand, the cartilage, connective tissue and muscle damage in the cervical spine, lumbar spine, right hip, right wrist and left and right shoulders are permanent but manageable with lifestyle changes, especially exercise routines. A classic TCM formula called Peony and Licorice helped rid me of the wicked nighttime spasms and tremors in the right leg and foot. I am currently using a special chorophyll formula and another TCM formula called Tuo Loranthus with good success. We hope to update my UC x-rays soon as I only have general views. We think we can get further improvement in the spine and right leg with some minor adjustments in our approach.
formyruca
Family Member

Post by formyruca »

David1949,

I was adjusted by Dr. Bowler on Friday. She uses the Blair method and did some work on the roof of my mouth. I can breath easier since the adjustment. I don't feel much different otherwise. I have to add that I am almost symptom free and have had venoplasty.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Dr. Flanagan,

So sorry to learn of your battle with neurological symptoms. I'm very relieved to know that your symptoms are under control thanks to chiropractic medicine and the Drs. Flanagan (you and your wife). Hopefully, your symptoms are only part-time and they keep responding to your treatment. How fortunate (and ironic) that chiropractic was your chosen career path.

You and your chiropractor wife remind me of my chiropractor and his wife who is also a chiropractor. :)

Oh yes, very good alliteration:
uprightdoc wrote:Basically, I am banged, beat up and bruised
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello David,
It's hard to measure improvement when you symptom free but breathing better is always a good sign. Hopefully you stay symptoms free from now on. Pressing on the roof of the mouth sounds more like cranial work.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

Doc, I'm verry sorry to hear about your condition

my friend has lupus, have u ever seen UCC help with lupus?

Thanks
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Professor Poet and Civickiller,
As I said though, I'm patched up and doing pretty well at this point. We just need to get the leg more stable.
I mention Lupus Erythematois in my book. It is one of the infammatory arthritides such as Psoriatic and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I discuss Lupus Erythematois and RA in my book because both have been associated with normal pressure hydrocephalus. It is most likely caused by degeneration of the spine called spondylosis and subsequent stenosis. I have had good results with cases and UC can be very helpful. The inflammatory arthritides are systemic diseases, however, and should be treated as such by getting to the source of the inflammation.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

I'm only at like page 23 of your book. I do remember reading about NPH and lupus EryThematosis, that's what sparked interest in my friends lupus. I only knew lupus as lupus so having erythematosis after it, I was thinking a different type of lupus

Thanks
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Dr. I have a question that has formed.
In listening to your approach with your health, do you think that there are examples like yours where the jugular valve flow issues as one example can be lees of an issue in causing symptoms such as the ones you have?
I am guessing from your approach that there is belief that injury has compounded a problem that MAY exist with vascular flow. It is in my mind as though your approach is like my understanding of cancer. There are cancer risk or producing (I don't have the words for this right now) cells in the body that when there is weakness they will take hold and cause damage. In the symptom example that you and we have it is the damage from trauma and degeneration that has given way for the damage to occur in the CNS.
I must add that this is how I see my case because of age at noticable onset, and that the body has been able to delay the symptom onset until agings natural process and a smallish injury (both rotators and another neck injury) tipping the scales at a time of accumulation that I could not overlook and my body also could no longer compensate for. (In that regard I am of the veiw that the rotators were because the neck nerve damage meant I was using muscles that were compensating for others that had lost nerve input. In my mind the nerve damage takes out parts of a muscle group for a task and therefore the muscles left uneffected and the compensatory body positioning and actions are what caused my rotator tears. The other muscles around them had weakened or stopped functioning. Like only 50% of my capability was happening and when that group was called on for a major task rapidly the damage occurred, in everyday life the compensation would have happened due to the bodies ability to adapt methods of doing tasks and those methods becoming the normal way to do them.
That was longer than I expected.
Dr. have you any MRI signs of what has happened? This links back to my theory by the way. The reason for delay in signs of disease on MRI for people with your symptom grouping?, this could be because of my theory above.
Regards Nigel