CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

HappyPoet wrote:Dr. Flanagan, the Cox table sounds intriguing; thank you for the information. I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm planning on stopping AO; on the contrary, AO will always be a part of my life because of the dramatic and positive changes in my numbness and spasticity, proven increase in my CSF flow, quick and painless adjustments, and also because...

I'm of the understanding that the longer one's Atlas stays in alignment, the higher the possibility there is for improvements to the rest of the spine, such as the straightening of scoliosis--is this a (somewhat) correct statement?
Poet, there is no question about the impact of the upper cervical spine on the health of the spine and nervous system, especially when it comes to neurodegenerative diseases. You should definitely stick with AO. AO, however, is far from the best method for spondylosis, stenosis, scoliosis and a whole slew of problems chiropractors deal with on a day to day basis.

The Cox method is used to pump cartilage and joints to correct and rehabilitate the vertebral segments as well as to move blood and CSF. The Cox Method has been around for decades in chiropractic and is one of the most researched, respected and utilized methods in the profession. I don't think the Cox method is the best way however to correct the upper cervical spine which is different. There are some offices now incorporating specifc upper cervical with Cox methods for the rest of the spine. It's a perfect combination and the wave of the future as far as I am concerned. Interestingly, Dr. Jim Cox's son has MS.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Interrupted,
I am sorry to hear things didn't work out. Upper cervical doctors are hard to find in here in the US. Hopefully, more chiropractors will consider adding it to their office procedures in the future.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

HP,

The link below is to the Cox Method website. The video at the bottom of the page give you a good overview of the features of the latest model the Cox 7 table.
http://www.coxtechnic.com/doctors/the-cox-table
silverbirch
Family Elder

Post by silverbirch »

uprightdoc wrote:
silverbirch wrote:Hi Dr Flanagan

Ive just had another appointment with Dr Heidi -

Reason Im starting a job on Monday and wanted Dr Heidi to address two problem on my right side 1) near shoulder blade next to spine 2) right side lower back
Treatment recieved - I lay on my belly and hand pressure applied to back releaseing pressure.

A little trigger pressure gun was then else where used on my upper body e.g coller bone

Leg - my left leg was manliputated by hand tugging...

This was the surprize my right eye Dr Heidi noticed that the pupil was large this was assesed by checking my thorac throat area and a correction was made useing a Sound tuneing device - can you explain this further ? I was so impressed I never took in what was being explained...
Silver
Hello Silver,
Somehow I missed when you slipped in here. I am not sure but it sounds like she did trigger point release and activator. The only sound tuning device I use is for tuning my guitar. Was it ultrasound. Combi ultrasound is excellent for trigger points.
The gun is the trigger point you are correct.
Sound tuning device !! its gots two prongs similar to what a music teacher would use .. they would tap it on the surface to get a note - Dr Heidi I think used this tool to correct my pupil (eye) it was not an ultra sound it was a hand held tool Dr Heidi looked into my eyes and noticed a defective right pupil.

As per our previous conversation my right eye was were I suffered bad migraines and when I had my attack first thought to be a stroke (right side)..... then two weeks later DX MS !!! anyhow after that only attack Ive never had another migraine !! sorry Ive gone of track ....
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Tuning forks are to check hearing and vibratory sensations. I suspect she was probably checking your pupil reflexes.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Things have livened up in last day or two!
Dr. thanks for looking at my xrays. I am now at a point where I am confused.
I was hoping that the xrays would be more definitive. I guess that is work life experience telling me that things should be visible/understandable and therefore fixable, or something similar.
Bottom line what do I do?
My head is full of thoughts about how there are many who will get results from adjustment, some who will get results from angio treatment and then is me. lol.
There does not seem to me to be a clear direction to take, money is limiting my thinking and like most I want to see results from what ever I chose to do.
Is a combination of both is likely the answer! lol.
Suns up and the washing machine is working hard after many days of rain, have a great day folks,
Nigel
silverbirch
Family Elder

Post by silverbirch »

uprightdoc wrote:Tuning forks are to check hearing and vibratory sensations. I suspect she was probably checking your pupil reflexes.
No stone left unturned by Dr Heidi
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1 wrote: I am now at a point where I am confused.
Bottom line what do I do?..There does not seem to me to be a clear direction to take, money is limiting my thinking and like most I want to see results from what ever I chose to do. Is a combination of both is likely the answer! Nigel
If you can, go to the chiropractor Dr. K recommended. If money is an problem and you can spare some time away from home, arrange to see one of the doctors at the college you wrote to. Tell them your situation and I am sure they will accomodate you. You need better quality upper cervical x-rays and I would like to see a vertex or base posterior view on you to get a better idea of the lateral and rotational aspects of your misalignment. Clearing out musculoskeletal stress can only help prepare you for vascular intervention if you decide to go that route.

Get on the horn and get the NZ college to produce some doctors who are trained in specific upper cervical.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Dr. thats the push I needed. :D
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I just had an interesting correspondance with a TiMS member regarding his MS. As an aside, he mentioned that his son has spondylosis (degeneration) of his spine from playing football, basketball and lacrosse. It sounds like he has a compression fracture. Compression fractures are fairly common. I treated many. Males generally get them from their occupation or sports. Females often get them later in life due to osteoporosis. I am telling you this story to illustrate a point I made yesterday in a reply to Poet regarding specific upper cervical care for the full spine. Specific upper cervical is not the best method of treating the rest of the spine for spondylosis such as compression fractures. There are much better methods, such as special decompression tables. Fortunately, the doctor he is seeing does AO specific upper cervical and full spine care including the Cox method.

He must be Irish. That's like hitting the lottery.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Michelle,

When the time comes, Dr. Wehrenberg asked if you and I could help him spread the word about the new MS-cohort study being prepared and said that in addition to MS patients, the researchers would also like to recruit some Parkinson's and Alzheimer's patients.

Because I've been reading DrDiana's blog entries and TIMS' posts and learning about the crossover of symptoms between MS and EDS, I asked if they would also be looking at Ehler's Danlos Syndrome. He's interested in learning more about the condition, so hopefully that will lead to somewhere.

Dr. Wehrenberg is also interested in attending Dr. Sclafani's NYC symposium, but he's unsure if the dates will work in his schedule. I emailed the symposium link to him, and he said he's going to forward it to Dr. Scott Rosa with the hope that Dr. Rosa can attend.

He remembers you and is very impressed that you were DrS's first patient; he knows all about DrS from me. If my answering machine hadn't been broken (he left messages I couldn't retrieve), you and I might have been able to meet last weekend.

:)

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Dr. Flanagan,

Thank you for the link to the Cox table. Now all I need to do is find one: have problems, will travel. Dr. Wehrenberg and I discussed taking new X-rays later in the year to see how my spine has changed, and I'll update you about them afterward.

If you're interested and have time, Dr. Wehrenberg said he'd be very interested in hearing from you. Since you two live so close to each other, I'm hoping you can meet; there is so much you could teach him about MS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Ehlers Danlos patients for the upcoming study.

Thank you again for everything, Dr. Flanagan.

uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Poet,

Your welcome.

There are two other decompression tables similar to the Cox 7 table that I will be covering in the future. I will be contacting the manufacturers to find out the names of the facilities that purchased them.

His office is close by and I would be happy to meet speak with Dr. Wehrenberg anytime about my book and my research.

Interestingly, NUCCA is about ready to launch their migraine study along with Dr. Noam Alperin using his upright MRI protocols.

Things are starting to get interesting.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

uprightdoc wrote:His office is close by and I would be happy to meet speak with Dr. Wehrenberg anytime about my book and my research.
Wonderful! I'll pass along your email address to him.
Things are starting to get interesting.
As I was leaving Dr. Wehrenberg's office yesterday, I said over my shoulder, "You and Dr. Flanagan should take the train together to go to Dr. Sclafani's symposium." He nodded his agreement. What can I say other than I like to dream big.

~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the value of upright MRI, I once read an article about a painful condition in which a patient's organs are not properly anchored, and every time a patient would have X-rays taken, nothing out of the ordinary appeared which made the patient look like a hypochondriac for the complaint of excruciating pain upon standing and staying upright. It wasn't until upright X-ray machines were first introduced that the reason for these patients' pain was seen.

When patients laid down supine in the first type of X-ray machines, their organs naturally fell into the proper locations, but when standing upright, their organs slipped out of place which allowed doctors to see for the first time that these patients did, indeed, have valid reasons for their pain. It was subsequently determined that two percent of the population has this treatable condition (I can't remember its name, sry).

Looking forward to reading about the other types of decompression tables!

uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

You can imagine what happens when the brain sinks in the cranial vault during upright posture. It's a beautiful weekend up here Poet. The boss is making me work in the yard to get ready for a big family party. Got a few minutes yet before break is over and its back to work.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Glad you're out and about enjoying the beautiful weather!

Have a happy and safe 4th of July holiday, Dr. Flanagan.