CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
silverbirch
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by silverbirch »

uprightdoc wrote:I am not familar with scanning facilities in the UK. The other problem is that even if they had upright scanner they would have to become familiar with phase contrast cine MRI to check blood and CSF flow. Additionally, many radiologists overlook Chiari 1 malformations and other relevant issues to upright posture.
Oh no... Ill just have to pop over to all the great minds ... jump in the scanner where ever that maybe !!, pop up to Dr Scalfani where ever he may reside and then the best to last ...your very good self where ever you may be.

Thanks again
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

It's just a short swim. You can make it time for tea.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merin5

Post by Merin5 »

Dear uprightdoc,

I came upon your theory just a few days ago and it seems, that it fits perfectly for me (age 39, female).
I had several accidents with my head and cervical spine involved:
- age 5 or so I fell from my fathers shoulder and hit the doorframe with my head
- age 10 while biking I banged my head against a half open garage door I had overlooked
- age 12 a friend wanted to show me a judo move and I fell hard on my back and went unconsious for some time. Afterwards practiced judo myself for some years and learned how to fall correctly, but there may have been some more stress to the cervical.
- 2005 had a chiropractic doctor correct my atlas, he did it twice or thrice with quite some force - the hypertension in my left leg disappeared afterwards for about 6 months (to stabilize the correction I needed ear acupuncture needles)
- 2008 a neurologist tested the Lhermitte sign and bent my head forcefully forward. This resulted in several weeks of spasticity in my hands which only had paresthesia before

From an early age I had problems with my spine (scoliosis, today also kyphosis in the upper cervical). Also there is a intervertebral disk swell that can be seen on a MRI (2008) between two cervicals. I often try to get some ease from fatigue and other MS related symptoms by moving the head (the cervicals seem to change their position very easily, there's a lot of noise when they do). Also, since 2009 I have a problem lying in a supine position, especially with my head straight and flat on the bed, but also when turning it to one side even with the head and neck higher. I start feeling dizzy (heavy brainfog, pressure in the head) after a few seconds, later feeling sick and if I wouldn't change my position I am sure I'd loose consciousness. Afterwards MS symptoms are worse. Even in upright position I have similar problems when turning the head to one side or looking up or bending down. Sleeping is only possible lying on my side and with neck and head higher than the body.

MS couldn't be finally diagnosed because of this problem which prevented me from further MRI scans that could have showed new lesions. The lesions found in 2007 were at C2/3 and near the ventricels. In 2008 Dr. Simka tested my jugulars and found an occlusion in the left IJV. No treatment yet because I couldn't get a MRV done.
My symptoms today are among others fatigue, muscle hypertension, headaches, feeling of high pressure in the head, photosensitivity, noise sensitivity, motion sensitivity, paresthesia, tremors and muscle twitches, vertigo. All kinds of strenous activity worsen the symptoms.

So now I found a doctor who might do the treatment without previous MRV, just using the catheter. But during the procedure I'd also have to lie on my back ...
I am intrigued that a correction of my upper cervical spine might do the trick and checked the NUCCA homepage for a doctor in Germany, but unfortunately there seems to be none.

Do you think it likely that my symptoms are related to cervical spine problems? And do you know a good doctor in Germany who could help me using UC methods?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any tips and help you can offer :-)
Last edited by Merin5 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Merin,

I most certainly do think your problems are related to your spine, especially your upper cervical spine. You had several serious knocks to the head all in your early years. Your x-rays show that you have spondylosis (degeneration) scoliosis (sidewards curvature) and kyphosis (backward curve) in your upper cervical spine. The noise you hear when you move your neck is due to overloaded, dry and degenerating joints in your neck. The Lehermitte's sign is caused by tethering (sticking) of your cord most likely due to scar tissue from degenerated connective tissues and possibly osteophytes (bones spurs) on the end plates of the vertebral segments. The symtoms of fatigue, brain fog and dizziness are due to decreased blood flow through the vertebral-basilar arteries to the brain. That is why you can't tip your head backwards.

Go to the link below and tell me if there are any doctors listed that are near you.

http://www.upcspine.com/prac2.asp?rid=3
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Dr. Flanagan,

So VERY happy that you're back where you belong. :-D

Another update. To review: I have stenosis, scoliosis, and spondylosis with severe torso spasticity that correlates with my longitudinally long T5-T9 lesion (mostly sensory tracts). I also have two old neck fractures.

In order to get the most benefit possible from my UCC adjustments and CCSVI procedures, I'd like to get my spine in the best shape possible -- so I'm starting to think about spinal surgery. Could you please answer a couple questions?

Are you familiar with vertebroplasty, also known as balloon kyphoplasty, in which an IR balloons an opening into degenerated vertebral bone, then injects special cement into the opening? Do I have kyphosis? Do you think a vertebroplasty would be helpful for me? http://endovasculartherapy.com/s1vertebroplasty.htm

Also, in an earlier post, you mentioned a tethered spinal cord. I was diagnosed with this four years ago. Do you think a detethering operation would be helpful for me? Using CCVBP theory, can a line be drawn from tethered cord syndrome to demyelinating lesions in the thoracic cord? I wonder how many pw"MS"/CCSVI might actually have comorbid or primary tethered cord syndrome which is a congenital CNS malformation that forms at the end of the spinal cord around the same time period that congenital CNS truncular venous malformations form in the jugular veins. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/teth ... d_cord.htm
Tethered spinal cord syndrome may go undiagnosed until adulthood, when pain, sensory and motor problems, and loss of bowel and bladder control emerge. This delayed presentation of symptoms is related to the degree of strain placed on the spinal cord over time and may be exacerbated during sports or pregnancy, or may be due to narrowing of the spinal column (stenosis) with age.
In adults, surgery to free (detether) the spinal cord can reduce the size and further development of cysts in the cord and may restore some function or alleviate other symptoms.
Last, do you know of any other procedures or spinal surgeries that might help my case?

Thank you very much.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Poet,
I wouldn't recommend the procedure for you. You have many issues in the spine and the procedure would have minimal if any benefit. What needs to be done in the future is to clean out the debris from degenerated discs and connective tissues that invade the spinal canal (stenosis). Many of you have problems from stem to stern and surgeons wouldn't know where to begin so they would be very reluctant to even consider it.

Blossom has a clear cut case of two badly degenerated discs and osteophytes (bones spurs) that have invaded the spinal canal and are just about nicking the cord. She is aware that getting the surgery done may not improve her MS signs and symptoms and still the surgeon won't consider it because she has MS. Because she has been diagnosed with MS they don't believe there is benefit because MS in their opinion is due to other causes. It would be similar to have a rotator cuff tear or torn meniscus in your knee and being refused surgery because you have MS. The bottom line is most neurosurgeons won't work on you. The irony is that it only take a half inch or so of stenosis in the jugulars to cause problems. Many of you I have consulted witth have stenosis due to impingement of the vertebral venous plexus over the course of several inches. The imaging technology is here now to find the maximum impingement and the minimally invasive endoscopic surgeries for the skull, brain, cord and spine are excellent and getting better.

Tethered cords can be inherited and may play a role in the cause of scoliosis in my opinion. They are also connected to Chiari malformations and MS. Other cases are acquired due to degeneration of the spine and scarring of the connective tissues of the cord and spinal canal. Additionally, abnormal curvatures of the spine can cause functional tethering.

Cases like yours often benefit from the Cox 7 long y-axis flexion-distraction spinal decompression tables.
Merin5

Post by Merin5 »

Hello uprightdoc,

thanks for your answer!
I checked the mentioned link and there is one doctor in Germany! (http://www.atlasorthogonal.info/en/index.htm - he has written a book about using chiropractic on horses, I hope he hasn't forgotten about human anatomy :smile: ).
I'd have to travel 3-5 hours by train to reach him, which I could do if there's no alternative. But as far as I know, several treatments may be necessary to stabilize the vertebrae. Or even constant treatment? The latter would indeed be a problem, if only because of the additional costs for travelling and the time.
From my own experience with doctors trying to bring my vertebrae in a healthier position I know that they switch back very easily to their former position after minutes only. I only have to chew something or move a bit. The doctor who worked on my atlas for example had to use ear acupuncture needles which I had in my ear for two weeks to stabilize it. Do AO doctors have special methods for stabilizing, too?

What do you think? Should I contact the doctor from your link?
Or do you think there could be another whom I can reach more easily?

By the way, I don't know exactly if the scoliosis is also in my cervical spine - I think I have it in the thoracic spine, but there definitely are problems with the cervical spine (doctors here call it cervical spine syndrome). I've been told that the curves are not as pronounced as they should be and I tend to have my head bent/stretched forward and a little to one side. Also there are some problems with the lower part of the back. I get it that this doesn't matter for the upper cervical doctor as atlas and axis are most important and the rest of the spine might even adjust by itself. Is this correct?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it very much!
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Uprightdoc,

If I had a hat I'd take it off to you sir. The penny has only just dropped that you could be of Irish descent, how dense am I, you see I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Sunnee
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Marin,
Atlas orthogonal uses specific x-rays to analyze the upper cervical spine and determine specific lines of correction (vectors). It also uses a special stylus device that emits a sound wave to supply the force to make the correction. AO doctors focus their analysis and correction on the upper cervical spine and let the rest of the spine take care of itself. Personally, I prefer to work on the full spine.

It doesn't sound as though the AO doctor is a practical solution as you will need visits close together for several weeks and at least monthly or so after you stabilize. Based on what you have told me you have many problems that need more regular attention.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Sunnee,
Actually I'm alf and alf. Only the top part is Guiness. The bottom is pure Bass Ale Brit.
Merin5

Post by Merin5 »

Hello uprightdoc,

thanks again for your explanation. It's as I feared then, I'd have to visit this doctor quite often.

How could I find a suitable doctor in my area? I really hope the one from your list isn't the only one who is qualified in this field in Germany ... Do you know of anybody or any other list, which might have more doctors on it?
There sure are a lot of chiropractors, but I guess they ar not specialized for this specific treatment. Or would you suggest I visit one of them just to get started? In any case I'd like to be treated more gentle than the last time and by someone who knows what he is doing ...
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Merin5 wrote:Dear uprightdoc,

... (age 39, female). ... had several accidents with my head and cervical spine involved:
- age 5 or so I fell from my fathers shoulder and hit the doorframe with my head
- age 10 while biking I banged my head against a half open garage door I had overlooked
- age 12 a friend wanted to show me a judo move and I fell hard on my back and went unconsious for some time.
- 2005 had a chiropractic doctor correct my atlas, he did it twice or thrice with quite some force - the hypertension in my left leg disappeared afterwards for about 6 months (to stabilize the correction I needed ear acupuncture needles)
- 2008 a neurologist tested the Lhermitte sign and bent my head forcefully forward. This resulted in several weeks of spasticity in my hands which only had paresthesia before ...
From an early age I had problems with my spine (scoliosis, today also kyphosis in the upper cervical). Also there is a intervertebral disk swell that can be seen on a MRI (2008) between two cervicals. I often try to get some ease from fatigue and other MS related symptoms by moving the head (the cervicals seem to change their position very easily, there's a lot of noise when they do). Also, since 2009 I have a problem lying in a supine position, especially with my head straight and flat on the bed, but also when turning it to one side even with the head and neck higher. I start feeling dizzy (heavy brainfog, pressure in the head) after a few seconds, later feeling sick and if I wouldn't change my position I am sure I'd loose consciousness. Afterwards MS symptoms are worse. Even in upright position I have similar problems when turning the head to one side or looking up or bending down. Sleeping is only possible lying on my side and with neck and head higher than the body. ... MS couldn't be finally diagnosed because of this problem which prevented me from further MRI scans that could have showed new lesions. The lesions found in 2007 were at C2/3 and near the ventricels. In 2008 Dr. Simka tested my jugulars and found an occlusion in the left IJV. No treatment yet because I couldn't get a MRV done.
My symptoms today are among others fatigue, muscle hypertension, headaches, feeling of high pressure in the head, photosensitivity, noise sensitivity, motion sensitivity, paresthesia, tremors and muscle twitches, vertigo. All kinds of strenous activity worsen the symptoms.
Merin,
It sounds as though you have advanced spondylosis (degeneration) of the cervical spine and you have many signs of ischemia (decreased blood flow) through the vertebral arteries made worse by extension and rotation of the neck. You need to be selective about who you go to. Upper cervical is specific, extremely safe and highly effective method of correction for cases like yours. There are other methods but it would be difficult for me to determine what methods others use in your area, or their level of expertise.
Merin5

Post by Merin5 »

Hello uprightdoc,
I'll contact the AO doctor and see if he knows a colleague in my area or if we find some way for him to treat me. Thank you so much for your help!

Merin
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Upstrehtdoc,

maybe of interest, your subject again
...............................................................................................................................................................
Tuesday, 21 June 2011
ms/parkinson's and the cervical spine/whiplash
Eighty-One Patients with Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Disease Undergoing Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care to Correct Vertebral Subluxation: A Retrospective Analysis
by Erin L. Elster, DC. Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research. August 2004.

Related Conditions

Multiple Sclerosis

Parkinson's Disease

Abstract

Objective: The objective of this article is threefold: to examine the role of head and neck trauma as a contributing factor to the onset of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s disease (PD); to explore the diagnosis and treatment of trauma-induced injury to the upper cervical spine through the use of protocol developed by the International Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association (IUCCA); and to investigate the potential for improving and arresting MS and PD through the correction of traumainduced upper cervical injury. Data from 81 MS and PD patients who recalled prior trauma, presented with upper cervical injuries, and received care according to the above protocol are reviewed.
Clinical Features: Each patient was examined and cared for in the author’s private practice in an uncontrolled, non-randomized environment over a five-year period. Of the 81 MS and PD patients, 78 recalled that they had experienced at least one head or neck trauma prior to the onset of the disease. In order of frequency, patients reported that they were involved in auto accidents (39 patients); sporting accidents, such as skiing, horseback riding, cycling, and football (29 patients); or falls on icy sidewalks or down stairs (16 patients). The duration between the traumatic event and disease onset varied from two months to 30 years.
Intervention and Outcome: Two diagnostic tests, paraspinal digital infrared imaging and laser-aligned radiography, were performed according to IUCCA protocol. These tests objectively identify trauma-induced upper cervical subluxations (misalignment of the upper cervical spine from the neural canal) and resulting neuropathophysiology. Upper cervical subluxations were found in all 81 cases. After administering treatment to correct their upper cervical injuries, 40 of 44 (91%) MS cases and 34 of 37 (92%) PD cases showed symptomatic improvement and no further disease progression during the care period.
Conclusion: A causal link between trauma-induced upper cervical injury and disease onset for both MS and PD appears to exist. Correcting the injury to the upper cervical spine through the use of IUCCA protocol may arrest and reverse the progression of both MS and PD. Further study in a controlled, experimental environment with a larger sample size is recommended.
Key Indexing Terms: upper cervical spine, chiropractic, Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, trauma
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi Dr. Flanagan,
uprightdoc wrote:Many of you I have consulted witth have stenosis due to impingement of the vertebral venous plexus over the course of several inches.
Over what vertebral spinal segments are the "several inches" located? Do you know from my records if I have this condition? What test(s) show this condition? I would think that impinged VVs would affect CCSVI.
Cases like yours often benefit from the Cox 7 long y-axis flexion-distraction spinal decompression tables.
As soon as I read this, I remembered that I've asked you this question before--I apologize for having forgotten and thank you for not having run out of patience with my memory problems. I promise to try harder to remember to search before posting. I just found a listing for a DC in Albany who is hoping to sell his practice which includes this table; if I get a reply from this doctor, I'll let you know what I learn.

Thank you!