CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fee002
Family Member

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by fee002 »

Uprightdoc,

first of all acupuncture points UB57 and UB40 are very relevant. I think UB57 evoked a feeling in my left foot as put in left knee. But UB40 definitely caused my right leg to spasm as soon as the needle was inserted and again when needle was turned.
Any way I digress, I think that you may find the following of interest.

........................................................................................................................................................................

Saturday, 30 July 2011
transverse myelitis and epstein barr
What causes transverse myelitis?

Researchers are uncertain of the exact causes of transverse myelitis. The inflammation that causes such extensive damage to nerve fibers of the spinal cord may result from viral infections or abnormal immune reactions. Transverse myelitis also may occur as a complication of syphilis, measles, Lyme disease, and some vaccinations, including those for chickenpox and rabies. Cases in which a cause cannot be identified are called idiopathic.
Transverse myelitis often develops following viral infections. Infectious agents suspected of causing transverse myelitis include varicella zoster (the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles), herpes simplex, cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr, influenza, echovirus, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis A, and rubella. Bacterial skin infections, middle-ear infections (otitis media), and Mycoplasma pneumoniae (bacterial pneumonia) have also been associated with the condition.
In post-infectious cases of transverse myelitis, immune system mechanisms, rather than active viral or bacterial infections, appear to play an important role in causing damage to spinal nerves. Although researchers have not yet identified the precise mechanisms of spinal cord injury in these cases, stimulation of the immune system in response to infection indicates that an autoimmune reaction may be responsible. In autoimmune diseases, the immune system, which normally protects the body from foreign organisms, mistakenly attacks the body’s own tissue, causing inflammation and, in some cases, damage to myelin within the spinal cord.
Because some affected individuals also have autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjogren’s syndrome, and sarcoidosis, some scientists suggest that transverse myelitis may also be an autoimmune disorder. In addition, some cancers may trigger an abnormal immune response that may lead to transverse myelitis.
In some people, transverse myeltis represents the first symptom of an underlying demyelinating disease of the central nervous system such as multiple sclerosis (MS) or neuromyelitis optica (NMO). A form of transverse myelitis known as "partial" myelitis--because it affects only a portion of the cross-sectional area of the spinal cord--is more characteristic of MS. Neuromyelitis optica typically causes both transverse myelitis and optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve that results in visual loss), but not necessarily at the same time. All patients with transverse myelitis should be evaluated for MS or NMO because patients with these diagnoses may require different treatments, especially therapies to prevent future attacks.
What are the sympto
Posted by my ms/mess at 12:09
Sometimes we need to agree to disagree
freedom of speech and adult debate is so important for us to learn
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1 wrote: ... I would like to add that we are assuming allot about what is happening in our bodies... We had a simplistic idea of functions and interactions in our systems and time again we are finding that the concepts have been incorrect. .. In disease such as the one named "MS", until technology has moved further into the unknown, we are guessing at what is happening...
I would have to agree Nigel. Multiple Sclerosis is a finding or a sign seen on brain scans or found on autopsy. Technically it means multiple areas of scar tissue in the brain and cord. Aside from that, everything else about the diagnosis of MS is fuzzy. As it stands, it excludes certain closely related conditions such as Devic's disease and optic spinal multiple sclerosis and includes conditions that shouldn't be included, such as migraine variants and other conditions. Because it was previously attributed to immunological problems it has also overlooked the obvious connection to trauma and musculoskeletal issues in neurodegenerative processes and subsequent demyelination.
Last edited by uprightdoc on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Totally agree Dr.
I think the greatest problem in medicine today is the focus on after effects and trying to hypothesis why?

Most of the assumption in "auto-immune" is wrong. A classic example is 'MS'. It is known that the immune involvement is after a previous 'action', yet main stream medicine won't let go of the concept that the immune system is the cause.

Even if it was they think that drugs will fix it! HELLO!

More technology will be needed to prove them wrong before they will let it go!

Regards Nigel
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

uprightdoc wrote:Hi David,
There are tremendous changes in musculoskeletal relationships between the base of the skull and the upper cervical spine when you open your mouth wide to yawn. Yawning also changes air and circulatory pressure gradients. However, because of the rapid improvement in muscle function in your leg I suspect that in your case the affect is more due to decompression of the motor tracts that are on the front side of the junction between the brainstem and cord called the cervical medullary junction. When you yawn the condyles of the skull slide forward and upward, which cause the head to tilt back slightly into extension.
Dr. Flanagan
Thank you for your reply. As I read your reply, yawning may be causing a decompression of the motor tracts. To me that implies that the motor tract is under compression when I am not yawning and that this may be causing the problems with my drop foot. If that is the case would it show up on an x-ray or MRI? If so what type of doctor or ucc doc should I go to to have it checked out?
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

Nigel,

Medics underestimate the natural healing qualities of the body, thats why it is important that the skeletal system is in alignment as it hinders our movement flow otherwise, not only our mobility, but our digestive system i.e. the bladder

google DR Windman Atlas, many symptoms relate to ms. then google American acupuncture, and cross reference it to dr windmans human diagram and they practically match. the badder meridian runs down the spine and right leg.
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

I cant PM at the mo for some reason, I could have sworn that we posted at exactly the same time my last post, only I cant find yours now, praps I imagined it I was a bit sleepy. tricks on the mind eh!
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Fee have you had any success with your approach to your health?

I wonder what might have caused the problems you have?

Regards Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

David1949 wrote:Thank you for your reply. As I read your reply, yawning may be causing a decompression of the motor tracts. To me that implies that the motor tract is under compression when I am not yawning and that this may be causing the problems with my drop foot. If that is the case would it show up on an x-ray or MRI? If so what type of doctor or ucc doc should I go to to have it checked out?
David,
Anterior to Posterior (AP) and Lateral plain view x-rays of the cervical spine would be a good place to start. Specific upper cervical x-rays would be even better and would include an open mouth odontoid or nasium view and either a vertex or base posterior view. If the x-rays show that you have spondylosis (degeneration), stenosis (narrowing) or curvature (scoliosis/kyphosis/loss of curve) problems in the cervical spine then cervical MRI would be helpful. Flexion and extension cervical MRI is a consideration as well, and upright MRI is even better. Most chiropractors take basic x-rays. Any radiology facility can do the basic x-rays and the MRI scans as well. If you want specific upper cervical x-rays and possibly correction, you are better off going to someone who has the right equipment, training and methods to do specific upper cervical.
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

Nigel.

Yes, my blog is a daily record of subjects I've researched, benefits I have experienced, what I think blah blah blah I am at present seeing a Neuro Physiotherapist, a German guy called Volker,and he is good, he does a lot of pulling and twiisting, I reckon my internal structure twisted subconsciously to compensate for my Atlas being out and trying to stay on my feet. Volker is helping me rectify that, I could talk about it for hours but you may fall asleep
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

Nigel,

I forgot to say, you wont be able to leave a comment on blog as blocked, some people just love to vent, and I cant be bothered with all that, let them go somewhere else to rant, lifes too short and all that.

Also I will fight for those that cant, I'm not one to be silenced and as in Labi Siffre's opening line in the song "something inside so strong" "the higher you build your barriers, the taller I become" thats ME, I just love that song
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

Uprightdoc,

There's me going on about how important the Atlas is and cervical spine care, and what do I do, I went up a little slope, tiny miniscule, but my chair tips back, and it all went a bit in slow motion then , I just knew I was going to hit my head, and so I did, but hey ho, no brain damage sustained, if i have one that is. but in a way was a good thing, because I was able to get back in my chair a lot easier than I would have been able to a few days ago, and that was good, I got a bump on my head and my neck is a bit sore, but at least I know what to look out for if I have done any damage.

So as they say every cloud...........
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi dr. flanagan,

well, the cat and mouse game is still going on. hurry up and wait.

one of the symptoms i deal with is bladder problems. my understanding was that cervical problems could effect this. anyway, when speaking to a dr. at one of the places i sent my mri and x-rays to when he asked my symptoms and when i mentioned bladder he said that would not be cervical it would be lumbar. ???????? does it or doesn't it? cervical???

he also said that from what he could see my narrowing was not so bad. but, he is sending me a script to get an mri with flexion. "he's out of state so hope i can use it". the mri i sent him same as you got was supposed to be flexion. when dr. weimer who ordered it, saw it he was not real pleased with the results. but, it shows enough. i got cornered kinda with the ms thing but at least he is ordering an mri.

haven't heard from the other pitt. dr. keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

as always thank you and wanna hear your input about the bladder. i thought cervical could pretty much screw about anything up.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Blossom,
Urination is a complex topic too lenghty to go into here. The short version is that the autonomic (vegetative) nervous system controls it. The bladder has stretch and pressure sensors in its walls to detect the level of filling. The opening for the bladder is controlled by muscles and the walls of the bladder are elastic and have muscles to help expel urine. The whole operation is controlled locally by the lumbar and sacral sympathetic and parasympathetic autonomic nerves in the low back and pelvis. Urination is consciouslly controlled however by higher centers in the brain coming from the pons. The hypothalamus also plays an important role in urination and maintaining water balance in the body. It is my opinion that an increase in CSF volume in the cisterns or ventricles can affect the these structures and causes problems. In this regard, Chiari malformations are associated with signs and symptoms of frequent and urgent urination.

The cervical spine can affect just about anything because everything passing between the brain and the rest of the cord has to pass through it including signals going to the bladder. Spondylosis (bone spurs and bulging discs) decreases the size or the spinal canal, which increases pressure on the contents. The first structures to feel the affects are the vertebral veins. According to Dr. Wise Young, an expert on spinal cord injuries, venous hypertension is a commonly overlooked cause of ischemic (decreased arterial blood flow) degeneration of the cord. Furthermore, spondylosis can also cause scar tissue and subsequent tethering (stuck) of the cord. I suspect tethering of the cord due to spoindylosis, stenosis and scoliosis plays a far more prominent role in Chiari 1 type malformations seen in adults than we currently realize. Among other things, like direct compression, Chiai 1 malformations obstruct blood and CSF flow which can cause an increase in CSF volume in the cisterns and ventricles. This can affect pressure in the cisterns surrounding the pons and hypothalamus. It can also affect CSF pressure inside the hypothalamus which is the third ventricle.

I think your cervical scans say enough already. The spurs are compressing the vertebral veins and they are very close to the cord. Neck flexion brings them even closer and may even cause contact. In light of your signs and symptoms and the fact they get worse with neck flexion I respectfully disagree with the doctor.

Keep your chin up and keep shopping.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

thanks doc, the way you explain all this i can follow i admit all the names of these body parts are not my expertee but i've lived in this body for a long time and the map you draw gets somewhere. unlike what i've dealt with dr.'s for too many yrs. "a road block."

as i told the dr. yesterday, i'm in this body, it's been telling me for yrs. by positioning etc. even down to the day i took the fall that something isn't right in the neck and spine. now, all i have to do is find a dr. that listens to me relaying this and who doesn't look at me or my mri's through foggy glasses. and the big plus would be the best of the best with a real steady hand. there's not much room in there for an oops!
fee002
Family Member

Post by fee002 »

Blossom,

Nobody knows your body and its reactions to things better than you, although I like and get on with my doctor, lovely Irish lady, she said to me once "but you have ms Fiona" to which I answered "but I havent" and she said "but you have" So I said nicely and politely "but thats your opinion, its not mine" so we agree to disagree, its a mutual respect, and as soon as I'm fixed, she will be the first to know, I will go to see her and not the other way round.

So trust your gut reaction Blossom, it will stand you in good stead.

My sisters a Nurse her brother-in-law a Doctor, but ms is never discussed, again mutual respect