CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
neava
Family Member

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by neava »

thankyou i will try this,
would you also know anyway of helping any nueropathic pain?

when are you hoping to have your book finished and released?
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Neava,
In the office I used transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) type units to control neuropathic pain. I used units with with wide ranges of amplitude and frequency modulation, as well as wave form and polarity options among other things. You can have your healthcare provider get you one or purchase one online. TENS units are based on the Gate Control Theory of pain. In brief, stimulation of higher priority pathways, such as from spatial sensors (proprioceptors) in the skin, muscle and connective tissues, can override lower priority pain signals. Depending on how you use the device the pain free time can be shorter or longer. There are many different ways to use TENS units. I used accupoints, motor points and neurovascular points.
silverbirch
Family Elder

Post by silverbirch »

Hello Dr Flanagan

I popped up to say Hi and to inform you that I still see Dr Heidi London and benefit by her NUCCA help ...

I enjoy reading your threads and thank you for all the support you gives here .

Twisted Sister xxxxxxxx
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi Dr, just thought I would drop in a note to say Neava went in on short notice for her surgery yesterday, waiting to make contact at the moment. Probably go up and see her soon.
Regards,
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Silverbirch (Twisted Sister),
Your welcome and thanks for popping in and keeping me posted about your progress.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hi Nigel,
Say hello to Neava for me and tell her we pray for her speedy recovery.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Thanks Dr, spoke by phone yesterday and will go up to the Hospital this arvo.
Seems the 'tumor' was actually scar tissue and there has been a positive outcome as well as major peace of mind.
I will pass on your message, thanks.
Nigel
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Had a laminctomy on 5-1 and have seen some benefit. Walking more in a line and less broad based. Better control over urinary function. All in all it was a positive experiemce.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

coach, this is great news. given more time i hope to hear of even more improvements for you.

hopefully soon more neurosurgeons and dr.'s will stop blameing every symptom a person has on this monster they named ms especially given the fact they don't understand or know "for sure" just what it's all about.

we are still individuals even if we are "branded" so to speak.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Coach,
It's nice to hear you had a successful outcome from surgery. People with MS can get degeneration in the spine (spondylosis) just like anyone else. Moreover, I suspect that spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis play a role in the cause of MS.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Just noticed that the world is catching up with you Dr. F:

CCSVI at UBC MS Clinic - Information and Support (from FB)
At ISNVD, speakers talked a lot about cerebrospinal fluid. The thinking was that CSF pressure had as much to do with CCSVI as venous and perhaps arterial blood pressures. Here's a little bit about CSF:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/55731 ... um=twitter
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks Nigel. The article on CSF is actually outdated. It only covers basic pressure and volume. More importantly, it doesn't cover normal pressure hydrocephalus, which has been associcated with AD, PD and MS. It also doesn't cover obstructions and abnormal CSF flow such as standing waves and turbulance. In this regard, there are general currents for example that surround islands, such as the UK and NZ. There are also local and sometimes conflicting currents created by land masses, bays and rivers. Conflicting currents create turbulance and standing waves that erode shorelines. The brain is similarly surrounded by water and has both general and local currents determined by the shapes of the parts of the brain the CSF surround. The general current of the brain flows from the ventricles to the subarachnoid space around the brain and into the large dural sinues (veins). Along the way, however, it flows past all the different nooks and crannies of the brain. Each has its own local flow characteristics. It is important to study regional CSF flow, especially in the posterior fossa. Restriction of fluid flow through the foramen magnum causes venturi (acceleration or jetting effects), hydraulic effects and turbulance that pound on the contents of the posterior fossa. The best way to check regional CSF flow is upright cine MRI. Cine CSF flow studies are just getting started. The technology will improve and there is much more to learn.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Coach. Thanks for the link to the Chiari Institute and tethered cords. I am a big fan of Dr. Thomas Milhorat and have followed his research for many years. His research into tethered cords and surgical correction got him into some hot water. The surgery is less invasive than the disc surgery you had. The method of analysis for tethered cord used by the Chiari Institute is innovative and should be a starting point for further discussion and investigation. I suspect that tethered cords play a role in scoliosis and Chiari malformations. I further suspect that aside from genetically short cords proposed by Milhorat and the Chiari Institute, that tethered cords can also by acquired due to spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis. Lhermitte's sign, for example, can be caused by local tethering of the cord due to traction spurs (spondylosis) that occurs only when the neck is flexed. This is a functional or kinetic type of tethering that would not be detected by the Chiari Institute's method, which focuses on the bottom of the cord and the connection of the connective tissue end of the cord (filum teminale) to the tailbone (coccyx). An upright kinetic and cine MRI would be a much better method for detecting tethering of the cord due to spondylosis, scoliosis and stenosis.
costumenastional
Family Elder

Post by costumenastional »

Sorry for the intrusion after all this time. I just wanted to thank you for saving my life once more Dear Doctor Flanagan. May God keep you safe and well.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Hello Costume. It's nice to hear from you. Your welcome. I appreciate your gratitude.