Angela has PML...

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Angela has PML...

Post by cheerleader »

For those who know our dear Angela of Flowers4MS--she has confirmed PML from her Tysabri infusions.
She is now in Johns Hopkins, receiving plasma exchange. Her husband has been updating us on her condition.

Angela has been our translator for Dr. Zamboni's interviews, since she is Italian born. She has confirmed CCSVI, but has not been able to be treated. She needs our good thoughts and prayers. Here is her charity where she has been raising money for CCSVI research:
http://www.flowers4ms.com/

For info on Angela's condition---

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Re: Angela has PML...

Post by prairiegirl »

She needs our good thoughts and prayers.

cheer[/quote]

The many, many heartfelt posts on her site and on CCSVI FB, are testimony to how many people have been touched by Angela's kindness and generous spirit. Hope she recovers well!
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

cheerleader wrote:For those who know our dear Angela of Flowers4MS--she has confirmed PML from her Tysabri infusions.She is now in Johns Hopkins, receiving plasma exchange. Her husband has been updating us on her condition.

Angela has been our translator for Dr. Zamboni's interviews, since she is Italian born. She has confirmed CCSVI, but has not been able to be treated. She needs our good thoughts and prayers. Here is her charity where she has been raising money for CCSVI research:
http://www.flowers4ms.com/

For info on Angela's condition---

cheer

What is PML?

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
bretzke
Family Member

Post by bretzke »

Donnchadh wrote:

What is PML?

Donnchadh
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), also known as progressive multifocal leukoencephalitis, is a rare and usually fatal viral disease that is characterized by progressive damage (-pathy) or inflammation of the white matter (leuko-) of the brain (-encephalo-) at multiple locations (multifocal).

It occurs almost exclusively in people with severe immune deficiency, such as transplant patients on immunosuppressive medications, patients receiving certain kinds of chemotherapy, patients receiving natalizumab (Tysabri)[1] for multiple sclerosis, psoriasis patients on long-term efalizumab (Raptiva)[2] or AIDS patients.

It is caused by a virus, the JC virus, which is normally present and kept under control by the immune system. Immunosuppressive drugs prevent the immune system from controlling the virus.

Brian

edit: definition from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressiv ... phalopathy
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

For Angela,

..touch her body with the warmth of Your healing Presence. Grant her courage to face the future.. and the comfort of persons who care about her as she reaches for Your loving Hands..
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Please, Angela, get better soon. You are needed and much loved. :)
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
blossom
Family Elder

angela

Post by blossom »

warmest thoughts and prayers to angela and her family. what a blow to try to be well and get this.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

bretzke wrote:
Donnchadh wrote:

What is PML?

Donnchadh
Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML), also known as progressive multifocal leukoencephalitis, is a rare and usually fatal viral disease that is characterized by progressive damage (-pathy) or inflammation of the white matter (leuko-) of the brain (-encephalo-) at multiple locations (multifocal).

It occurs almost exclusively in people with severe immune deficiency, such as transplant patients on immunosuppressive medications, patients receiving certain kinds of chemotherapy, patients receiving natalizumab (Tysabri)[1] for multiple sclerosis, psoriasis patients on long-term efalizumab (Raptiva)[2] or AIDS patients.

It is caused by a virus, the JC virus, which is normally present and kept under control by the immune system. Immunosuppressive drugs prevent the immune system from controlling the virus.

Brian

edit: definition from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressiv ... phalopathy
Oh, I understand now; I had never heard of it before. I sincerely hope she has a complete and quick recovery.

Dia linn, I never took any "MS" anti-immune drugs.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

Terrible news. I feel awful for her.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

This is terrible news, I wish her the best to pull through this and work on recovery.

It was mentioned elsewhere that they've put a central catheter line into her neck, to do the plasma exchange to flush the Tysabri out. I can't even comment on the irony there. I hope she pulls through.

edited: it's the EV that's used. But still. I hate Tysabri yet I know there are people who have few other options
Last edited by Cece on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose2
Family Elder

Post by Rose2 »

speechless. Cheer, thank you for writing on behalf of all of us. I appreciate it. I can't read the Italian, so not sure how she is feeling today? thanks, Rose2
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

EJV / external jugular
Trish317
Family Elder

Post by Trish317 »

Sending prayers to Angela and her family....
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Speechless too... We know it happen but when it is someone a bit closer.... Best of all and a prompt recovery for the always present Angela :)
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Hope Angela gets better soon. My prayers are with her and her family.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”