Appointments at American Access Care

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

MaggieMae wrote:Dr. Sclafani,

When do you think there will be CCSVI procedures performed through American Access Care or any IR or Vascular doctor in the Pittsburgh area? I think I saw the there is an AAC in the Pittsburgh area.
he responded about the Pittsburgh AAC in this post:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-145910.html#145910
MaggieMae
Family Elder

Post by MaggieMae »

Thanks Cece. I remember that comment now, but I am hoping that some new updated info is available.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I always hope that when I share a link, it is taken as additional information to whatever Dr. Sclafani might himself answer. :)

CCSVIhusband, if he's around, might be a good one to ask about Pittsburgh area doctors. Hope you find one, MaggieMae.

Hollydidmyinsuranceclear---- ne'er mind, can't ask every day. :D
MaggieMae
Family Elder

Post by MaggieMae »

Thanks Cece. I always appreciate your input. You may remember, my husband is on two lists with two of the best, but has heard nothing regarding scheduling. So, I keep watching and hoping (for all those in our area of southwestern PA) that there will soon be procedures performed close to home. There are many many people who could never afford to travel any distance nor have the capabilities to make the repeat trips back for follow-up. Feeling a little defeated today. My husband isn't feeling well and is having terrible leg pain and spasms. It has been a long wait.
drlaura

appointment

Post by drlaura »

I FINALLY got my first appt set up with Dr Domenico at the end of March for an initial consult. Maybe by summer it will all be done.
Laura Ayn Lewars<br />Herbalist, Natuopath<br /><br />dx'd 16 years ago and still working 
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

JFK to Brooklyn

Post by newlywed4ever »

For anyone who's been to Dr Sclafani in Brooklyn: what is the best way (read: cheap & easy) to get to the hotel from JFK airport? Thanks!
thornyrose76
Family Elder

Post by thornyrose76 »

What's the total cost with Dr. Makris? What does the cost cover- what does he do? Has he treated anyone who has been in a wheelchair?
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

thornyrose76 wrote:What's the total cost with Dr. Makris? What does the cost cover- what does he do? Has he treated anyone who has been in a wheelchair?
I had the first done by Dr. Makris. I haven't received the medicare explanation of benefits yet.

Why don't you call them? They are very friendy and will answer your questions.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
hopeful2
Family Member

Post by hopeful2 »

newlywed4ever: you can take a cab from JFK to Brooklyn (easy but I don't know the cost). I took a towncar (easy and costs between $40 and $50). You can arrange with them beforehand (dial7.com or 1-212-777-7777) and they wait for you in the airport holding up a sign with your name.

It was worth every penny since I get so very tired from a long plane flight. I haven't a clue about going JFK to Brooklyn on public transportation but someone else on this thread might. :)
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

hopeful2 - thank you SO much for the info! I will call the town car folks. I am such a country bumpkin, I'm worried more about getting to & from places than I am of the procedure!
drsclafani
Family Elder

Re: JFK to Brooklyn

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:For anyone who's been to Dr Sclafani in Brooklyn: what is the best way (read: cheap & easy) to get to the hotel from JFK airport? Thanks!
cheapest is by subways, but it is not an easy ride, through some pretty downtrodden communities.i think the only pracdtice way to do it is by taxi. costs about $30
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:hopeful2 - thank you SO much for the info! I will call the town car folks. I am such a country bumpkin, I'm worried more about getting to & from places than I am of the procedure!
i will change that attitude.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

drsclafani wrote:
newlywed4ever wrote:hopeful2 - thank you SO much for the info! I will call the town car folks. I am such a country bumpkin, I'm worried more about getting to & from places than I am of the procedure!
No thanks on the subway...I can just picture myself 1/2 on & 1/2 off.

And what attitude do you expect to change? After all, I have 100% confidence in you, Dr Sclafani! I hope to have improvements but can handle no change. Being worse than pre-procedure...well, that's just not a possibility :D ...ok, maybe it is but I'll cross that bridge only if I have to. And being a country bumpkin?...most days, it's OK.

Just picked up my Arixtra. For those wondering what the cost is...(sit down) - it's $1650 w/o insurance. Thank God I have insurance!
aliyalex
Family Elder

Post by aliyalex »

I am settling for lovenox at $700 with Medicare without prescription drug coverage–out of pocket. Just for people's information.
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:
drsclafani wrote:
No thanks on the subway...I can just picture myself 1/2 on & 1/2 off.

And what attitude do you expect to change? After all, I have 100% confidence in you, Dr Sclafani! I hope to have improvements but can handle no change. Being worse than pre-procedure...well, that's just not a possibility :D ...ok, maybe it is but I'll cross that bridge only if I have to. And being a country bumpkin?...most days, it's OK.

Just picked up my Arixtra. For those wondering what the cost is...(sit down) - it's $1650 w/o insurance. Thank God I have insurance!
firstly, i was just making a joke about that. i have to be more careful about that.

arixtra costs more than lovenox because the generic name fondaparinux is longer than lovenox's generic name, enoxaparin.

that too is a joke. arixtra is more expensive because there is no generic alternative. it is a once a day, it reached therapeutic level faster, it has a slightly better safety profile. My former hospital changed its formulary over to arixtra because of safety.

However whenever someone cannot afford it, i have no difficulty changing to enoxaparin which is also a good medication.

of course, we should put this in perspective. it is my understanding that many of the other medications you receive cost much more