Appointments at American Access Care

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

newlywed4ever wrote:
And what attitude do you expect to change? After all, I have 100% confidence in you, Dr Sclafani! I hope to have improvements but can handle no change. Being worse than pre-procedure...well, that's just not a possibility :D ...ok, maybe it is but I'll cross that bridge only if I have to. !
can you see the tremendous responsibility it is to be a doctor in this statement.

it was so much easier to care for a trauma victim in hemorrhagic shock than to care for you guys
eric593
Family Elder

Post by eric593 »

drsclafani wrote: it was so much easier to care for a trauma victim in hemorrhagic shock than to care for you guys
Yes, but you have to admit that we are much more interesting than unconscious patients, n'est pas? We keep you on your toes which isn't a bad thing, right? :-) We are more challenging... but also much more effusive in our praise!

Just think 5 years from now, this will all be old hat...
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

drsclafani wrote:
newlywed4ever wrote:
And what attitude do you expect to change? After all, I have 100% confidence in you, Dr Sclafani! I hope to have improvements but can handle no change. Being worse than pre-procedure...well, that's just not a possibility :D ...ok, maybe it is but I'll cross that bridge only if I have to. !
can you see the tremendous responsibility it is to be a doctor in this statement.

it was so much easier to care for a trauma victim in hemorrhagic shock than to care for you guys
What exact percentage confidence should we have in you? I could do 99% if 100% is too much pressure....
:wink:
aliyalex
Family Elder

Post by aliyalex »

That is way too much pressure for any human. Remember, you are merely an instrument.

And we patients have much skill in selecting our instruments.
belsadie
Family Elder

American Access Care

Post by belsadie »

newlywed4ever, FORGET the subway.I could describe myself as a veteran NYC subway rider and I'd not even entertain the thought of the ride from the airport area to Prospect Ave. Book that private car! Enjoy your stay...and do try to get to the River Cafe suggested by Dr. Sal. It IS fantastic and a great way to celebrate your decision to have the procedure!
burg
Family Member

Post by burg »

Newlywed;
The Black Town cars at 212 777 7777 are 40-50. If they are late, they wont be waiting inside, but will be driving by, and circling outside. In their wind shields you will see a medium sized sign, with their phone number..They'll have your name held up while driving, on a 8 x 11 sign...just flag them down.
A yellow cab outside the terminal is about 30-35.00. Take a receipt, and if it substantially more, you can call 311 from a phone in NYC, and put in a complaint. The Taxi Limousine Commission does not take lightly licensed taxicabs taking advantage of guests to our city.
You can also pay by credit card...The NYC law requires that Yellow taxis accept them.
When you are coming out of the terminal, do not...I repeat DO NOT accept a ride from anyone that approaches you and asks if you need a taxi or a ride.Just walk by and ignore them.
When you go outside, justfollow the signs to Taxis, or Taxi Stand. The licensed yellow cab drivers will be in their cars, and cannot leave them, except for loading and unloading.
If you have a wheelchair, just tell the dispatcher standing there, and he will try if available to get you a yellow taxi van.
The airtrain and subway is cheap, but you will have to change trains a few times to get where you are going, which is difficult with luggage. I don't advise it.
Any other questions...I'm here.
Best of Luck!!
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

Burg & belsadie - thank you for the invaluable advice! Unfortunately, I am just now reading it (got here yesterday). We did take a yellow cab and was charged $46 (not including tip). Tried to pay via credit card but the driver asked us not to because he would personally lose 5% (??). Still, the yellow cab driver has been our best taxi svc. yet. We took a taxi to & from AAC from our hotel (2 different companies) and actually had to tell both drivers they were going the wrong way - what the heck? Public transportation of any sort was hampered today due to the snowstorm; so is trying to walk anywhere! But the people are friendly :)
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

aliyalex wrote:i'll be in brooklyn 2/3 -2/5. anyone else scheduled then?
Best wishes for your testing and treatment, Aliyah. I know you must be so excited! :D

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. After you're well, well, well, well, well rested, I hope you'll post an update for us.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

HappyPoet wrote:
aliyalex wrote:i'll be in brooklyn 2/3 -2/5. anyone else scheduled then?
Best wishes for your testing and treatment, Aliyah. I know you must be so excited! :D

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. After you're well, well, well, well, well rested, I hope you'll post an update for us.
I second that emotion! Wishing you only the best.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Aliyalex, best wishes!!! I am very happy for you!
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Me thinks some people must be secretly going to Brooklyn.... 8O

Anyone with upcoming appointments? We're rooting for you!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

hannakat wrote:Me thinks some people must be secretly going to Brooklyn.... 8O
I tried to keep mine a secret but somehow word got out....
Rooting for you and as always Dr. Sclafani as well!! He is one of the greats.

If our lessons here had been conducted in person, instead of the far more far-reaching online, he would have frequently stopped, grabbed a piece of paper, and sketched out what he was telling us.
vivavie
Family Elder

Post by vivavie »

I did not go secretly, i just did not have the time to post it. I sneaked in and took the opportunity when Dr S mentionned on his tread that he was slowed by the insurance companies. Being Canadian I pay cash. I got the OK from Holly Saturday at 16h30 and was on his table Monday morning! Happy Valentines day to me!

He did his magic with his IVUS for my RIJ and Azygos but my stents (4) in LIJ were clogged again! He had to insert TWO 13 cm stents inside one another to prevent more hyperplasia coming through the mesh. (I don't have the report yet so forgive my medical terminology :oops: )

When I die they will sell my body to a scrap yard there is so much metal in that LIJ!!!

I just want to mention that if necessary AAC has a lot of experience with stents. Dr Gregg Miller came in during the procedure to second Dr S on this. He has done thousands for dyalisis
We all know how much Dr S hates stents :wink: I had warned him to expect the unexpected...
MaggieMae
Family Elder

Post by MaggieMae »

hannakat wrote:Me thinks some people must be secretly going to Brooklyn.... 8O

We are waiting to hear back from Dr. Sclafani. Insurance was approved and intake form sent in for treatment at AAC. We started this journey (for treatment w/ Dr. Sclafani) back in March 2010 before things came to a hault with the IRB.
aliyalex
Family Elder

Post by aliyalex »

I went in the beginning of February. it was also not a secret.

I wish I could have taken notes, but I couldn't. I heard words like elastic recoil, but I frankly don't remember where that was referring to. Perhaps the azygos. I remember of valve giving Dr. S problems in my azygos and I remember him struggling to get more blood flow which he was able to do. I also remember him saying i'll have to come back, that he can't do it all at once. He also mentioned a stent might be needed in my azygos.

I'm looking forward to receiving the report. It sure is nice to have vivid dreams again.