Physical Therapy

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
msgator
Family Elder

Physical Therapy

Post by msgator »

I am three months post procedure as of tomorrow. I am 35 yrs old, female, RRMS diagnosed 1999, mother of two. I had gait, balance, bladder and fine motor issues, spasticity in my right calf, EDSS 3 pre procedure. ( I think that covers what people want to know, when they read about other people, if I left anything off let me know)

I am a big believer in the after care aspect of having The Procedure, so I asked my neuro (yes, I am the lucky person with the awesome neurologist) to prescribe me some PT, which he did. I have been going twice a week since the week before Christmas with the goal of normalizing my gait (I swing my right leg out rather than really walking) and improving my balance.

Today I walked the drunk line. And then because i could do it and hadn't been able to for about 9 yrs, I did it again, and again and I can't wait to show my husband when he gets home from work.

So, if you had the procedure and don't like what improvements you have seen maybe PT or OT can move you in the right direction. It seems to be helping me.

:)

Ann
always look on the bright side of life

Veins opened 10/15/10. RIJV still on the small side. Feeling much better.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

congrats msgator :D

I agree, physical therapy is a good choice especially if there's some indication of small improvements that could be guided into bigger improvements!
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

I've just read your post to Emma who underwent procedure only three weeks ago. Emma is 38, diagnosed RRMS in 1997 and was a EDSS 3 to 4 upto about 2 years ago then she started to decline to her pre procedure EDSS of 6.5

We'd already got it in our mind that Emma will need OT or PT particularly as she has signs of atrophy.

Emma is physically weak, I like to describe her like an accident victim that needs rehabilitation even before we can consider fitness and stamina levels.

We figure she's going to need 4 to 6 weeks to actually recover from the procedure and travel itself before we even consider the PT/OT route, and then we're going to do it with the help of her GP (who is extremely supportive and very interested in the procedure and it's possible treatment of MS).

Thank you for posting, it is an extremely important part of aftercare that also needs to be documented along with the physical results.