Leg spasticity!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Stayfit
Getting to Know You...

Post by Stayfit »

Lyndacarol: starting a forum on exercise, I would call it physical training for MS, is a great idea. I have had MS since 1972 and training for 15 years. My condition would be very different without it. However I could not initiate or monitor, that area of my brain is not there. We could talk directly if you like. :D
fiddler
Family Elder

Eva Marsh

Post by fiddler »

Eva Marsh is a strong proponent of exercise (http://www.evamarsh.net/book.htm) and believes it is what has kept her going all these years.
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

gauchito wrote:Other possible interesting angle to solve puzzle of our spasticity might come from neurology. I mean to clearly uderstand how and why our brain misexecute cycle tension-relaxation sending crazy impulses and how can this process be influenced appart from phyical therapy/training.
I think all of us have seen people unfortunately shot in their heads who eventually recover function. This takes my inquiry far beyond simple eplanation based only upon ourn brain lesions
Any thoughts?
My legs are twitching like mad. I am sitting upright. I am using my laptop. I know if I stop the twitching will go away immediately. With me it is definitely heat from the laptop. I have a tray that helps (especially at night when it is colder). I have a small table beside me that I often put it down on. But I think it is being nicely distributed to my legs, and that viscosity of my blood is involved (affected strongly by heat).
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Coolcatcarrie
Family Member

Post by Coolcatcarrie »

Get yourself an ipad! I had same problem with heat on my lap with laptop but ipad is great! X
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I swear by my baby boppy - kind of a rounded "C"-shaped pillow that goes around the waist - useful for nursing babies AND for comfortable laptop using. Perhaps not at the same time.
Drury
Family Elder

Post by Drury »

Or just use a pillow under laptop - they also sell trays with pillows (actually beanbags I think) under them.

Drury
elliberato
Family Member

Post by elliberato »

sou wrote:Let's be honest.

Spasticity can not be cured or even treated without ruining the sufferer's life even more than it already is. It is not a mineral deficiency. It is not a symptom that will ever go away, unless it is caused by inflammation. Physical "therapists" (and all other kinds of quackers, including neurologists) will only make some bucks out of it, without curing it. Some could manage some of its complications, if you are lucky.

Drugs? lol! They have nasty side effects and won't help you walk better. They will only ease the pain, at the cost of ruining your mood, kidneys and liver.

So, you have spasticity, you die with it. Period.

beutiful..not the most positive, but true...
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Unfortunately, it is. The only hope is re-education and CNS plasticity, but it requires a hell lot of work and discipline and the results are not guaranteed. The latter is the most discouraging aspect of it, because when you get discouraged, you can't be disciplined. And then you see no results and you get even more discouraged. At least, that's how it works for me.

Welcome to the vicious cycle...
gauchito
Family Member

Post by gauchito »

Well. Perhaps true but not sure. Until we fully understand what is misadjusted in the CNS to cause spasticity we cannot jump to conculsions.Note the variable nature of spasticity: sometimes more, sometimes less. This might mean something turns on and then off inside.
Brain lesions alone are not a satisfactory explanation when you compare to other type of injuries in the CNS.
To me, still a mistery!
Coolcatcarrie
Family Member

Post by Coolcatcarrie »

I don't know if your listening - a huge amount of spasticity in my right leg has disappeared lol period! And I mean a huge difference! Huge!!! After my ccsvi procedure!
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

We are listening just fine. Coolcat, a great portion of your spasticity must have been caused by inflammation in the spinal cord. When it subsided you felt better. It was not due to irreversible neuronal damage.

Spasticity is indeed a mystery. I can't but remember Aristotle's quote: "What happens is what usually happens."

Spasticity is here to stay and assist all tiny little quackers become a little richer by selling hope to the animals (us).
Stayfit
Getting to Know You...

Post by Stayfit »

We are dealing with the 2 challenges to our physical condition, MS and middle and senior age. I5 years ago when I first starting training I was Surprised that I could develop muscle and strength after 50. I was also surprised when I could not control my tooth brush despite arm strengthening exercises. Then was reminded about focusing on specific muscle groups. I noticed that the meaty area just below the thumb was totally flat and had atrophied. Got a hand gripper and over several months restored some of the muscle and my ability to brush my teeth. This is a good example of what happen to the muscle as a result of a weak nerve signal. This one was visible but not visible to me in the hip area. The lesson for me is to continually evaluate my body so that I can identify problems before atrophy and before disability sets in. The machines at the gym are very useful as many of them isolate specific muscle groups and weakness is readily identifiable ie. I had trouble with 5 lbs. with a machine that focused on the calf. Obvious problem explained weak ankle. For me the rebuilding requires some effort and repetition over time and full range of motion but definately NEVER STRAIN or Never work so hard that I SWEAT. That brings on flu like systems exaserbation.
Also since my procedure blood oxygen level increased to normal(97-98) was low(91) before procedure :D