third procedure?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
javabean
Family Member

Post by javabean »

Last time I update, I promose. So I had the procedure today and both jugulars blocked as well as the azygous. He ballooned to 16mm, less than the doc in California. Took a walk around the block which was pretty much the same...Hopefully, like the first time, I willl have improvements in a few days.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

No, please keep updating, there's more to be learned here. After two procedures, your jugulars and your azygous were all blocked again? Did your doctor offer any explanation? This wasn't clotting, was it? Just elastic recoil or missed blockages from the other procedures. You'd already been to Albany and to PI, these are experienced docs, I just wonder why this is happening to you. And if he ballooned it with a smaller balloon than the previous procedure, but that one didn't hold, did he happen to use higher pressure than the previous procedure? Or think that this time it wiill hold? A big congrats on knowing your body, you were right yet again that your veins weren't open. It isn't usual for a patient to need so many procedures so quickly but you've been right, your veins keep reblocking themselves. But not this time. Much luck and good wishes.
CD
Family Elder

Post by CD »

Javabean, are you on any medications since this third procedure? Maybe something to keep from having a triple re-stenosis again?

I pray this third time does it. Were you told to rest after the procedure or any instructions?

Please keep us updated. It is a learning experience for all of us.

Also did the Doctor tell you why you blocked up again? That we would like to know if you don't mind telling us. Good Luck to you.
CD
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

hi javabean,

did you get a stent put in? if so, where? did that mean the problem was not in your valves?

get better!

a/c
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
javabean
Family Member

Post by javabean »

"After two procedures, your jugulars and your azygous were all blocked again? Did your doctor offer any explanation? This wasn't clotting, was it? Just elastic recoil or missed blockages from the other procedures. You'd already been to Albany and to PI, these are experienced docs, I just wonder why this is happening to you. And if he ballooned it with a smaller balloon than the previous procedure, but that one didn't hold, did he happen to use higher pressure than the previous procedure? Or think that this time it wiill hold?" CECE
The doc had no explanation as to why they were all blocked agian...elastic recoil, I guess. There was no clotting. Although he used smaller balloons, he did hold them open for a longer amount of time which is another way to keep them open. About the higher preassure, I don't know
javabean
Family Member

Post by javabean »

Javabean, are you on any medications since this third procedure? Maybe something to keep from having a triple re-stenosis again?

I pray this third time does it. Were you told to rest after the procedure or any instructions?

Please keep us updated. It is a learning experience for all of us.

Also did the Doctor tell you why you blocked up again? That we would like to know if you don't mind telling us. Good Luck to you.
CD

I'm taking Aspirin and Arixtra which is a blood thinner for 20 days. I don't know if that prevents restenosis. I think it's to prevent clots.
I was told to rest for the first day.
The doc did not say why this happened for me but that restanosis can happen very quickly. I think the veins have a tendency to go back to the shape they were in originally. It's like a habit
javabean
Family Member

Post by javabean »

did you get a stent put in? if so, where? did that mean the problem was not in your valves?

no stents. i guess he thinks they can be detrimental because they cause the vein to react with some type of tissue regrowth which makes the vein even narrower
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Hi Java, did you get to see the MRV of the areas that had blocked. I am wondering if the areas were the same as previously and the reason was whether there where valve issues that hadn't been attended to each time previously. Dr S has shown pictures of his work on valves and how they have to 'pop' as such to detach them and hope fully fix the blocking repeatedly. It also would seem that using IVIS is giving an indication of the landscape of the internal vein, was this talked about by the IR by chance?
Rest up, Nigel
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

javabean wrote:The doc had no explanation as to why they were all blocked agian...elastic recoil, I guess. There was no clotting. Although he used smaller balloons, he did hold them open for a longer amount of time which is another way to keep them open. About the higher preassure, I don't know
Thank you for answering our questions, javabean, and I hope you are resting and healing and doing well.

If this third time works, it might be due either to Dr. Makris's technique of longer duration of ballooning or the effect of repeated venoplasties in quick succession (since the first one may weaken the vein, the second one weaken it again, and third one it gives way). Very intriguing either way.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

thanks so much for updating. rest, be well and heal.
javabean
Family Member

Post by javabean »

So, no improvements. This sucks. Just thought I would update that this procedure has not worked for me despite three tries. It's good to know about this though, god forbid, my daughter gets MS. At least she might have a chance to avoid this hell.
blossom
Family Elder

ccsvi

Post by blossom »

javabean, i feel your disappointment. i guess some of us just aren't so lucky. but they are still learning so we gotta hope. you gave it your best shot--for now. thanks for the update.
eric593
Family Elder

Post by eric593 »

It didn't work to remove stenoses? Or it didn't work to improve MS symptoms?

How didn't it work for you?
CD
Family Elder

Post by CD »

Javabean it is early yet. You just had the procedure. You must heal and do what the doctor says. Give it time. Do you have meds? You can break up stenosis empirically. I hope you see some improvements. Some take up to 18 months to see improvements.

I saw improvements over time. Not right away. I had no table miracles or any changes like that.
CD
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

You've been through so much at this point. Very sorry to hear it hasn't worked.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”