Montel's announcement

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

cheerleader wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your overwhelming support! My post op MRI showed great results. Please do not speculate on where I had the procedure done. I can tell you the speculations posted earlier were wrong. I will release that information at a later date. A TV show has chronicled my journey & I look forward to sharing it with everyone in an attempt to dispel misinformation on CCSVI & provide a complete picture.
oh, please...let this be some tangible evidence of oxygenation changes documented w/before and after BOLD fMRI. Like the Haacke protocol has been showing. Pretty please....let the cameras be rolling...
ever-hopeful,
cheer
It would be wonderful. I can't think of any other reason to have a post-procedural MRI than to get it on camera. Otherwise the doctor has seen everything on the venogram, he doesn't need an MRV.

I don't know if Montel even knows about BOLD fMRI or if he went to one of the California doctors associated with Dr. Hubbard who might've thought to do this. Maybe, though!!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Cece---just had a thought. the other Haacke protocol test that is using MRI is the blood flow quantification. No tasks involved. That's been showing some interesting things. From his presentation at the Hubbard convention. I transcribed some of it for the FB page....
Here's a case of normals, where we're looking at the major veins, they flow at about 10cm per second. They don't have these wild swings associated with them. Here's a case.... all four of the major veins in this individual have come to almost zero or reflux flow, and so because of that, in order to get that blood out, (talk about a stress on your system), the flow has to double in the 2nd half of the cardiac cycle and becomes 20 cm per second in order to get it out. I've actually seen flow as high as 60 cm per second in an MS case because of this type of problem."
link

I know, I know...I'm not supposed to be speculating. OK. No more guessing. I can wait....(not really, but will try :) )
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

I've got my speculation too and shared it privately with a few people. Nomatter who treated Montel, he is getting the word out to the media and making an event, which none of us in the US have been able to do outside of our local markets. You can bet the operating room was staffed with ccsvi's heaviest hitters to ensure the best possible outcome and to capture visual proof that Ccsvi is real. What a week!
CD
Family Elder

Post by CD »

Prior to his surgery, the day before Montel said:
What a day- my plane was canceled to California and I wasn't sure I was even going make it. My luggage was lost and I had a 3pm interview about my CCVSI procedure, I had to go out a buy a shirt. Now it's finally hitting me I am having surgery tomorrow
So he has the surgery in California, but had to fly in?
CD

Edited to add: How come he always types, or his assistant does the job, CCVSI..instead of CCSVI?
Where there is a will, there is a way. "HOPE"

CCSVI Procedure December 2010
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

There was a time when I mixed up CCSVI and CCVSI but that was seriously a year and a half ago. Beginners. :D

He had the procedure in California even though he is based in NY. He says do not speculate on who treated him and that previous speculation (Dr. Dake?) was wrong.

Blood flow quantification could be it! It would be really welcome for there to be something measureable like that in his documentary. I am ready to watch it now. Ever notice how much patience is involved here at TIMS!
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

I'm betting it was Arata. Isn't he the most experienced? And I bet Hewitt was in the room also!

I'd also speculate that he did not have any stents placed or they probably would not have risked the MRI - not worth nudgin newly deployed stents around with those magnetic fields, right?

So he likely just had the valves torn.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

AlmostClever wrote:I'm betting it was Arata. Isn't he the most experienced? And I bet Hewitt was in the room also!

I'd also speculate that he did not have any stents placed or they probably would not have risked the MRI - not worth nudgin newly deployed stents around with those magnetic fields, right?

I am really hoping for good results for him and that he didn't have stents implanted.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
fogdweller
Family Elder

Post by fogdweller »

Cece wrote:There was a time when I mixed up CCSVI and CCVSI but that was seriously a year and a half ago. Beginners. :D
Sounds like a TV show. CCVSI: Miami
Last edited by fogdweller on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EJC
Family Elder

Post by EJC »

I wonder if he paid.

I have a feeling that this would be a freebie rolled up in some TV time type deal promoting the clinic that treated. Might be why he ended up on the West Coast.

I'd be delighted to be wrong though.

I'm such a cynic.
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

bestadmom wrote:I've got my speculation too and shared it privately with a few people. Nomatter who treated Montel, he is getting the word out to the media and making an event, which none of us in the US have been able to do outside of our local markets. You can bet the operating room was staffed with ccsvi's heaviest hitters to ensure the best possible outcome and to capture visual proof that Ccsvi is real. What a week!
SOMEBODY INVITE MONTEL TO THE NYC SYMPOSIUM!!!!
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

pklittle wrote:
bestadmom wrote:I've got my speculation too and shared it privately with a few people. Nomatter who treated Montel, he is getting the word out to the media and making an event, which none of us in the US have been able to do outside of our local markets. You can bet the operating room was staffed with ccsvi's heaviest hitters to ensure the best possible outcome and to capture visual proof that Ccsvi is real. What a week!
SOMEBODY INVITE MONTEL TO THE NYC SYMPOSIUM!!!!
I'll have to post it on his Facebook pages.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Now there's an idea!

He can bring his camera crew, too. :)
LivabirdsHubbie
Family Member

Post by LivabirdsHubbie »

AlmostClever wrote:I'm betting it was Arata. Isn't he the most experienced? And I bet Hewitt was in the room also!

Well if it was at PI, we sure didn't see him, my wife had her consultation yesterday and was treated by Dr Arata today, she is doing great, he is fantastic, he fixed her azygos which was messed up from Bulgaria, and also really did a great job on her left jugular and her stent in the right, doing very well and yes we think he is the best, been to Poland and Bulgaria and here at PI well no comparison... but just my opinion
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Not sure why non metallic stents would be an issue with an MRI. All of Dr. Dake's patients had MRI follow ups.

Also not sure why Montel is any more special than the average ordinary MS patient, are we now saying that the rest of us deserve less than stellar treatment, and only TV personalities deserve the "cover all the bases" kid gloves?

So what does everyone expect from this? What if it just turns into another Montel infomercial? Is that really going to propel CCSVI treatment into the stratosphere where solid scientific studies have yet to go? (Yet).

Remember, despite all the "wait for further studies" warnings at the end of every newscast in Canada early on, what really happened was a flood of half-educated patients flocking worldwide, and we've seen what level of tragedy resulted from that.

Has anyone really thought this through besides getting yet more media coverage? Has the media really done this thing justice? Okay, so lets say every single MS patient in America finds out about CCSVI tomorrow, fine, done. When those same patients then start to flood their Dr's in numbers that far eclipse our Northerly neighbors, once again, as we have already seen, despite having all the proper ICD codes and heaps of logic to go with them (Angio an established procedure, veins treated elsewhere in body etc etc), as I stated to you all long ago, unless you are rich like Montel or can mortgage/beg/borrow your way to treatment, the only people in this that will really matter to you, will be your insurance company, if you are fortunate enough to have insurance, and we have seen enough instances already of where they were heading with this even a year ago, the purse string holders as I call them, the check writers may not have the same view on things. These kind of numbers we are talking about, many many 10's of thousands, will force insurance companies to take a stance, and being good corporate people, they will go with what makes them the greatest profit, and paying for your MS drugs AND an expensive procedure with scanning doesn't seem to be their preferred option.

While I wish Montel the very best as another MS patient, I also have a sense that he probably is going to do what is best for Montel. Shouldn't be long before the book comes out I'm sure.
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Okay, so lets say every single MS patient in America finds out about CCSVI tomorrow, fine, done.
Then every single MS patient in our country gets to experience this strange, unexpected, new feeling of hope. And gets to talk about the possibility of improvements. I don't remember 'improvements' being in my MS vocab prior to CCSVI.

I do worry about the insurance companies, you're right about the greater numbers of people seeking treatment being likely to be met with even greater resistance. But for many people, eight to ten thousand dollars for treatment is not out of reach, if push comes to shove.

On Montel's page he mentioned that it is the Dr. Oz show that was filming him, does anyone know much about Dr. Oz?

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”