Steve M - 18 months have passed

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
mormiles
Family Elder

Steve M - 18 months have passed

Post by mormiles »

My husband Steve's surgery at Stanford was 18 months ago as of the end of this March. This is significant, because he has SPMS. Since the surgery, he has experienced some progression, but it seems to have stopped. Actually, he's doing quite well now. I attribute this to the passage of the 18 months, weekly testosterone injections, daily HCG injections, and transdermal B12 cream. He takes certain supplements that I believe are helpful too.

Steve recently memorized my work phone number after not being able to learn it in the 8 years I've worked there. He's also becoming a better and better cook all the time and taking pride in it.
Joyce (aka cypriane)~caregiver and advocate in Dallas for Steve (SPMS)----"Enter through the narrowgate..."
Shannon
Family Elder

Post by Shannon »

So happy to hear that your loved one is seeing some improvements to his condition. The little things become so important when dealing with something like MS. We all need to remember to pat ourselves on the back for the little things we can do sometimes. I hope the improvement are truly due to the procedure, but either way, I hope he continues to be mobile, have his memory, and enjoy the best things in life! Best wishes...
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Most excellent report. Glad to hear of the improvements, and it IS the little things like remembering numbers and/or dates or whatever, that seem to stick out in the mind as significant. Good to hear from another of the Stanford contigent, wish we had all of them on here! Wishing you continued improvements.

Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
CRHInv
Family Elder

Post by CRHInv »

Joyce, Thanks for the update! I am so glad to hear that Steve is experiencing improvements. I hope things stay on this track and the cooking keeps improving too!
Take care,
Beth
(Check your pm's, okay?)
dx 4/09 * Stanford appointment 11/09/09 * One stent left, low jugular 11/10/09!<br />One year from treatment, I have my life back.  Placebo schmebo.
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Joyce this is great news for you and Steve!! Tell him we are all rooting for more improvement!!

Keep up posted with more news.

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

Joyce,
Happy for you and Steve. Hoping for more improvements in the future.
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

This is wonderful to hear. :-) I am so happy for everyone who experiences improvement or any kind of relief. And as you say -- it's especially significant for someone who has been SPMS! I hope things continue to be positive for you both.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I wasn't around back then but congrats! I used to have just my husband's cell # memorized but now that I think about it, I can rattle off the other one too. Huh. :)

Has he gone in for a follow-up ultrasound to double-check how things are holding up? There have been some advances since then in imaging the azygous during the procedure, that might be something to consider, but if he is doing well right now, maybe now is not the time!
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Good to hear!
mormiles
Family Elder

Post by mormiles »

Everyone, thanks for the warmth. Cece, he has had one check-up with Dr. Dake six months after the surgery. He should have another, but we have been unable to afford the cost. He will begin receiving Medicare benefits as of July this year, so I'm hoping that will help us afford another check-up (hopefully with more focus on the azygos vein). The varicose veins in Steve's legs have worsened over these last many months.
Joyce (aka cypriane)~caregiver and advocate in Dallas for Steve (SPMS)----"Enter through the narrowgate..."

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”