Who are the best CCSVI docs doing the procedure in the U.S.?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
carollevin
Family Member

Who are the best CCSVI docs doing the procedure in the U.S.?

Post by carollevin »

Who are the best CCSVI docs doing the procedure in the U.S.? I am planning to have the procedure but can't seem to pick a doctor. I want one who is on the cutting edge and knows all the updates and recent improvements that have been made, proper testing, if testing is even needed, etc.

Can I get some recommendations?

I live in Florida but am willing to travel.

Thank you!
zinamaria
Family Elder

doctor

Post by zinamaria »

You might want to check out Dr. Sclafani who is in Brooklyn, and has a thread going here too, he is very much 'close' to the research, might be the closest but other people might know more than I on this. Make sure to read some, if not most of his thread.
lucky125
Family Elder

Post by lucky125 »

You may not need to travel. Check out Dr. Bulent Arslan in Tampa, Florida.
Good luck to you!
Liberated at Georgetown U. 3/3/10. Subsequent procedures at U of Maryland with Dr. Ziv Haskal 7/30/10, 12/2/10, 5/11/11. http://myliberationadventure.blogspot.com
leetz
Family Elder

:)

Post by leetz »

my absolute favorite:

Dr. Gary Siskin
Albany, NY

google him...community care...he REALLY DOES CARE!
GOD BLESS.... CCSVI treatment Dr. Siskin great doc....symptom's improved for about 3 week's (gait, balance, spasticity) now back to square 1...
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

carollevin, There is also an IR at UF that I have corresponded with who seems EXTREMELY caring but I believe he has only performed the Liberation Procedure on slightly more than 50 patients to date and I know you mentioned wanting someone with more experience.

I am in South Florida and am scheduled to go to Brooklyn to see Dr. Sclafani next month.

WeWillBeatMS
bonitamae
Getting to Know You...

Post by bonitamae »

What's the word on Dr McGuckin who works bte his offices in seattle and philadelphia?
Stayfit
Getting to Know You...

Post by Stayfit »

Community Care Physicians Latham NY of which Dr.Siskin is the principal have done over 500 procedures.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

WeWillBeatMS, is it Dr. Caridi at the UF Gainesville?
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

Yes CeCe. I only started talking to him right as I was approved with my insurance for Dr. Sclafani in May. I am really blown away with how much time he has taken to explain things to me in multiple emails back and forth, especially given the fact that he is already extremely busy and has nothing to gain financially because he is on staff at UF.

WeWillBeatMS
carollevin
Family Member

To WeWillBeatMS

Post by carollevin »

ToWeWillBeatMS,
I am wondering if there is any particular reason you did not choose Dr. Arslan who is in Florida. I hear he is very good, as I hear the same about Dr. Sclafani. Just wondering. Thanks
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

bonitamae wrote:What's the word on Dr McGuckin who works bte his offices in seattle and philadelphia?
Well, it sounded as though Rhonda/Magoo had good things to say, though the jury may yet be out, as she is still in recovery?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

This is part of an e-mail I got back from Dr. Dake at Stanford talking about some doctors in Fl. that are treating patients.

Bulent Arslan) and the other trained here at Stanford (Brian Montague). Both have treated over 50 patients each with CCSVI and MS. I am supremely confident in their judgment and skills. I mention this because their location is so much closer to you than we are here .

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck.
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

I would trust Dake's recommendations and staying close to home is important. But, Dr. McGuckin was fantastic and I would highly recommend him too!
Rhonda~
Treated by Dake 10/19/09, McGuckin 4/25/11 and 3/9/12- blockages in both IJVs, azy, L-iliac, L-renal veins. CCSVI changed my life and disease.
k6ristin
Family Member

Post by k6ristin »

Stay local! Dr. Montague @ St. Joseph's has treated me several times and is very good at follow up care. Best of luck
carollevin
Family Member

Post by carollevin »

I know Dr. Montague has an excellent reputation....but this issue that so many have of needing continual repeat treatment concerns me.

I have watched two of Dr. Joseph Hewitt's presentation --in the second one he most recently said that in the past year since they started doing valvioplasty and tearng the O-ring (or annnular ring) that restenosis rate is down to 10%.

I wonder why other IRs aren't following suit.

Yet I have not read any testimonials of Dr. Joseph Hewitt's patients to know how they feel about him--haven't been able to find any--so that has me scratching me head too.

Sure wish this would get more standardized and they would find a way to reduce restenosis.