Normal CSF ferritin levels in MS & CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Normal CSF ferritin levels in MS & CCSVI

Post by MSUK »

Normal CSF ferritin levels in MS suggest against etiologic role of CCSVI

Summary: A new and controversial hypothesis suggests disease progression in MS may be related to CCSVI and the resulting toxic effects of parenchymal iron deposition in the central nervous system (CNS; Singh AV, Zamboni P, J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2009;29:1867-78). When iron is present in the CNS, it simulates intrathecal expression of ferritin (Keirg et al, Clin Chim Acta 1993;216:153-66). An indirect test for deposition of iron in the CNS is quantification of ferritin.

The authors postulated that if CSSVI leads to parenchymal iron deposition in MS, there ought to be increased CSF ferritin levels. They quantified CSF ferritin levels from a previously published cohort with clinically definite MS (Petzold A, et al, Brain 2002;15:1462-473; Polman CH, et al, Ann Neurol 2005;58:840-6).... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/2944
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

funny thing...this is the first anyone has reported this. when I went through Liberation procedure last year in March my Holistic Dr. mentioned there was a dramatic decrease in ferratin levels in my blood and we just kind of looked puzzled at each other...I couldnt walk but my ferratin went down!!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

it's not about how much iron is in the blood. It's about deposition of plasmic particles (this can be any blood product- iron, bacteria, virus....blood shouldn't be in the brain) into delicate brain tissue due to cerebral endothelial dysfunction. Dr. Haacke writes about this.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
codefellow
Family Elder

Post by codefellow »

cheerleader wrote:it's not about how much iron is in the blood. It's about deposition of plasmic particles (this can be any blood product- iron, bacteria, virus....blood shouldn't be in the brain) into delicate brain tissue due to cerebral endothelial dysfunction. Dr. Haacke writes about this.
cheer
But is there any way to MEASURE that (hopefully while the patient is still alive.)?
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

SWI MRI perhaps. Free iron radicals will not be incorporated in ferritin but haemosiderin. Did they measure it? Nope... And let us not make matters more complicated that they already are. They could measure it in urine, not CSF. If they urgently wanted to measure something about CSF, however, they would be surprised to see its completely abnormal dynamics and pressures. [Beggs et al]
Bethr
Family Elder

Post by Bethr »

They should be looking at the NEW iron metabolism markers:
Hepcidin (the master controller)
Ferroportin (the exporter)
transferrin (moves it around)
etc. etc. etc.

Some researchers are saying "Iron" is the new Bacteria.
Iron moves in sequence with the immune system.
They are both just parts of the whole.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

codefellow wrote:
cheerleader wrote:it's not about how much iron is in the blood. It's about deposition of plasmic particles (this can be any blood product- iron, bacteria, virus....blood shouldn't be in the brain) into delicate brain tissue due to cerebral endothelial dysfunction. Dr. Haacke writes about this.
cheer
But is there any way to MEASURE that (hopefully while the patient is still alive.)?
Nothing wrong with a post-mortem study. We might get some answers that way yet.

A concern too from a study pov is that the body cleans out the iron. From one of Dr. Zivadinov's older research, I seem to remember that patients with more lesions had less iron in the brain and patients with fewer lesions had more iron. The idea being that the body cleaned out the iron when a lesion was made. I'll link to it if I come across it. I have fewer lesions and I'd like it to stay that way, so reading that research inspired me to take my green tea extract supplements.