Heat Intolerance?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Heat Intolerance?

Post by Donnchadh »

Yesterday it was 93 degrees out, and I could hardly stand up. My lower back was killing me. I had very little energy.

Fast forward 24 hours later. The weather has changed dramatically. Temps are now 71 degrees, with a pleasant breeze.

I feel much, much better now. My walking has improved a great deal.

My question is: Am I the only one who is heat sensitive?

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
fee001
Family Elder

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

In UK it is very noticable 71 degrees would probably cause problems, many people suffer with the heat. I used to. it was an awful feeling, iI would even be affected indoors. and going outside in the sun just wasnt an option.

I used to find a tepid bath (not cold) would help.

Fiona
I do my own research, and find my own answers Its good to talk
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

good Grief DC, that's a main symptom of MS! after the procedure it goes away most of the time, but, its probably one of the first to return when restenosing too.
many helpful tricks. mine was tanning once a week, not long, all winter, and my summer heat tolerance was better. next year?

i'm going in feb to Synergy Center,in newport beach with Dr. Arata. but, i'm reading everything i can on the valves being the problem, and outcomes...and the brooklyn smposium in a few days is high on my list...
PPMS. Liberated Katowice, Poland
06/05/10 angioplasty RJV-re-stenodsed
26/08/10 stent RJV
28/12/10 follow-up ultrasound intimal hyperplasia
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

esta wrote:good Grief DC, that's a main symptom of MS! after the procedure it goes away most of the time, but, its probably one of the first to return when restenosing too.
many helpful tricks. mine was tanning once a week, not long, all winter, and my summer heat tolerance was better. next year?

i'm going in feb to Synergy Center,in newport beach with Dr. Arata. but, i'm reading everything i can on the valves being the problem, and outcomes...and the brooklyn smposium in a few days is high on my list...
Has any neurologist explained the reason why MS causes heat intolerance to you?

I think it is possible that temperature intolerance might be a symptom of CCSVI rather than MS
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

The human body is a water-cooled engine.

I think there are a couple of things that are characteristic of the heat sensitivity and with enough brains on the problem it should be solvable. I know a few things, but not enough.

1. It is temporary, and the disability/symptom goes away as soon as the heat does.

2. (this is for me but I think also for most) It kicks in at a certain very narrow temperature range.

3. The circulatory system, smooth muscles in arteries and veins, and endothelium, control distribution of blood to a very precise degree using the relation Resistance equals Viscosity times Length divided by the fourth power of Diameter. That leaves pressure and flow entirely out of the question. Now if you know Flow equals Pressure divided by the Resistance you see what powerful control the endothelium and smooth muscle have on your temperature. Diameter to the fourth power of the vein is like, well, if the diameter goes from 1 to 2 mm, that's a factor of 2x2x2x2=16 for the resistance, and also consequently the flow, unless you simultaneously reduce pressure by the same factor (unlikely).

4. So far as I have been told, there is no smooth muscle layer in brain veins. That leaves other less responsive methods of temperature control.
These other schemes also involve endothelium, which brain veins do have.

5. I think viscosity has some bearing, though it cannot affect anything as much as the blood vessel diameter does. There is only an inverse proportionality. So as blood gets thicker it flows slower. But the thickness (viscosity) goes up non-linearly with pressure from spinal fluid (I think) in a Starling Resistor (inside the brain). I do not know if this is felt to any great extent outside it, but it would compound any diameter problems and would be felt inside it, where command and control are.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
fee001
Family Elder

my rason was bladder related

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

This is my third year of tolerating the heat, it is now not a problem at all.

Why I think this has happened is previously I received acupuncture on the bladder line, this was done by a physio on NHS. My bladder increased in density and tolerance all sensitivity has gone, I had to continue acupuncture privately once my session ceased.

Heat energy is wasted from the system via bladder, if faulty as mine was big time, urgency and timing didnt go smoothly, and resulted in many accidents, since acupuncture this now no longer happens.

If this had not happened, me seeing a chiropractor just wouldnt have been possible, it would have presented me with a problem.

I have even had to sit on a towel in my sisters car, just in case I didnt make it home in time.

Fiona
I do my own research, and find my own answers Its good to talk
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

dear dr sclafani, you're ubiquitous - and so kind, but see a neuro, ha... sorry, not on my things to do list...

yes it must be CCSVI, because I tolerated heat like nothing after my 1st procedure. i believe its the body's thermometer, so its in the brain - pinal gland or pituitary or or ...
PPMS. Liberated Katowice, Poland
06/05/10 angioplasty RJV-re-stenodsed
26/08/10 stent RJV
28/12/10 follow-up ultrasound intimal hyperplasia
pklittle
Family Elder

Post by pklittle »

drsclafani wrote:
esta wrote:good Grief DC, that's a main symptom of MS! after the procedure it goes away most of the time, but, its probably one of the first to return when restenosing too.

Has any neurologist explained the reason why MS causes heat intolerance to you?

I think it is possible that temperature intolerance might be a symptom of

CCSVI rather than MS
The heat intolerance for me is dibilitating. If I get too warm, I get this overwhelming weakness, dizziness and I literally crumble to the ground and can't get up until I've cooled down. No exaggeration! What I wouldn't give to have this symptom eliminated! Lawdy!

No neuro has given me any clue as to why this happens.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

drsclafani wrote: Has any neurologist explained the reason why MS causes heat intolerance to you?

I think it is possible that temperature intolerance might be a symptom of CCSVI rather than MS
No neurologist has ever given me a coherent explanation for any of my symptoms.

It feels like some sort of heat-induced inflammatory whole body response.

I came back from shopping and don't feel too bad which is an amazing contrast to yesterday's wiped out condition. The only difference is the temperature-about 24 degrees Fahrenheit cooler.

BTW, I see you have a new avatar.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

pklittle wrote: The heat intolerance for me is dibilitating. If I get too warm, I get this overwhelming weakness, dizziness and I literally crumble to the ground and can't get up until I've cooled down. No exaggeration! What I wouldn't give to have this symptom eliminated! Lawdy!

No neuro has given me any clue as to why this happens.
Ditto! It is amazing how some symptoms have completely vanished after my last procedure, while some are uneffected.

I think one of the great advantages of this forum is that you realize that you are not alone; other people have the same problems and you are not crazy.

Donnchadh

civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

its a come and go thing for me, some upper cervical care adjustments leaves me with no heat intolerance at all
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Seems to me if the problem is in the brain, and it affects the brain, it might be one of those positive-feedback kind of self-inciting problems, where the overheated blood messes up the cooling system and it stays broken as long as the heat is there. You could try taking your body temperature and see if that has gotten out of whack. But I don't recall hearing about fevers... Maybe try different measuring locations, like mouth, underarms...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Thekla
Family Elder

Post by Thekla »

I don't seem to be so affected by heat, possibly some increased fatigue. Cold aggravates my spasticity a lot though. I lived in the tropics for several years with temps in the 80's F and high humidity without complaint. In temperate climates, it seems I am always stiff and just can't get warm. Poor circulation to my feet is probably contributes.

I remember reading years back about heat intolerance (that old time diagnostic for ms). The debilitating effect was blamed on the heat adversely affecting the nerve impulse/electrical transmission in the body. Whether that is an accurate current explanation, I do not know. But heat intolerance was considered a pseudoexaserbation, being temporary and causing no permanent damage.
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

The ideal temp for me is 21 C with cloud. The sun, humidity, and over 20 C does me in. It's like a complete exhaustion, all my limbs are heavy, my hands stop working, and I don't fully recover until the next day. Makes me really irritable.

One of the odd things is that in every season except really nice days in summer I'm cold in the core of my body and want to get warm. Does that make sense?

My neuro just says it's something people with ms get, (boy, do i get tired of hearing that). Kind of like the cold feet and hands.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

i never really said my experience

my temp range is 65-75 degrees F
78 is too hot

while its only in the mid 80's here in hawaii, humidity is very high at times but then we also have trade winds.

i just get really weak all over and sleep alot, but a couple hours after i gets dark im fine