Yawn stretch

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
David1949
Family Elder

Yawn stretch

Post by David1949 »

Occassionaly I have an involuntary yawn and stretch. I guess most people have that from time to time. But what gets interesting is that my left leg and foot will lift up involuntarily in a way that I can no longer do voluntarily. When that happens I can hold it up voluntarily for a few seconds before it collapses. It's as if the leg temporarily works right again. So I have two questions:
1) Do other people have this too or am I the only weirdo?
2) Is there any physical reason why a yawn or stretch might cause a temporary increase in blood flow or CSF flow? Or maybe a temporary increase in oxygen transfer from the blood to the brain?
Last edited by David1949 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
dania
Family Elder

Re: Yawn stretch

Post by dania »

I experience the same.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Same here; or sometimes itching and my leg flex like it never did (and occasionally hit the table) So yes; here too; but no one knows why; especially not the Docs :D
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

The nerves are an electrical circuit and I think it's a momentary boosted signal that powers its way through damaged nerves. If you're like me, it's a one directional thing where you can lift and curl your leg and foot but not tap your foot up and down.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

i have that. dania,we both have the tilt the head and move better. even laying flat on my back i can move fingers etc. better and it was very prominent early on. about 6 yrs. ago i had an upright mri done on my own. i was hoping that it would show something reg. mri's didn't. but with the thinking of the dr.'s i was going to it didn't and finding a dr. period that would look at this let alone have any answers to my questions. now it will be a different ball game--i hope.

also with the yawn thing--i posted a question to dr. flanagan about the jaw and you might want to read his response to the question.

whatever we individually have going on with the spine may differ--mine i feel is the spurs-we'll see. but whatever the problem is and it interfers with the correct flow of csf or blood or it is pressing on nerves it can't be good. even for the ccsvi treatment if i were an ir i'd want all possible obstacles out of the way first.

you know if you think about it, if a river is running normal , there's not a lot of muck or debri on the sides or in it---but when it is slower than normal, debri and sediment will gather. why would it not be different in the river that flows in all of us??? it could definitly make us more susceptible to debri.

we are all individual listen to some of these symptoms they named ms. actually they mimic spinal problems. all mine could be but yet because of one filthy lesion to the neuro.'s here the case was closed.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Before my procedure and before learning about CCSVI, if my right eye blurred while I was driving, I would tilt my head slightly to the left and hold very still, and the blurring would go away.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

i have that same thing with stretching, i can lift up and bend my legs which i normally cant do, its almost like pre MS days. i too wonder why that is.

cece, does it still happen post ccsvi surgery?
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

cece, your story if you think about it is positioning and since the ccsvi treatment helped that by opening the veins for better flow then it might be a very good idea to check out upper cervicle to keep any unnecessary pressure off the veins and help the csf flow. you had some good results from your treatment. maybe this would help maintain?? and you may be like happy poet and get more relief and if needed repeated it doesn't pose a problem like clotting or intimal hyperplasia.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I have shared that I fell on my head when I was sixteen? HappyPoet posted a link in another thread to look up UCC docs and there is one in my area.

civickiller, I don't get blurred vision anymore!
Thomas
Family Elder

Post by Thomas »

Hi David, I thought you might find this study interesting:

Sleep Med. 2010 Mar;11(3):329-30. Epub 2010 Feb 16.
Yawning, sleep, and symptom relief in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Gallup AC, Gallup GG Jr, Feo C.
Source
Department of Biological Sciences, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY 13902, USA. a.c.gallup@gmail.com
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) suffer from thermoregulatory dysfunction, and repetitive yawning and sleep problems are symptoms of MS. Because yawning and sleep are involved in thermoregulation, we investigated the association between yawning, sleep, and symptom relief in patients with MS.

METHODS:
Sixty patients filled out a questionnaire about how often they yawned, whether yawning provided relief of MS symptoms, and how sleep affected these symptoms.

RESULTS:
Results showed that over one in three patients reported that their MS symptoms improved following a yawn, and of those experiencing relief, nearly half reported that it lasted for several minutes or longer. Not getting a good night's sleep often made MS symptoms worse, while napping during the day provided symptom relief.

CONCLUSION:
This is the first study showing that yawning provides symptom relief in patients with multiple sclerosis.

Copyright 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20163983
aliyalex
Family Elder

Post by aliyalex »

10 years ago I realized that when I took a deep breath I would feel a tingle in my fingertips. I questioned whether there was a circulation issue. Now that I am much more disabled, if I take a deep breath or yawn, I have a boost of energy. For example, when I am typing and very weak, the delete button seems so far away. I automatically find my self taking a deep breath and I can reach the key easily. And while I am there, I can hit the P key while I am in the area.

Also on the topic, my MS/lyme disease Dr. once asked me if I ever was knocked unconscious when I was a teenage. The answer was yes. I fell off of a horsE and was unconscious for maybe an hour.

What did this all mean?
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Thomas
Thanks for that info. It looks like the subject has been studied by professional researchers who found that the answer to my first question is yes. It's good to know that there is in fact some relationship there and that I'm not completely crazy. Although it still leaves us wondering what the mechanism is.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I just came across this at Wikipedia. It's something for the trivia file I guess:

"Pandiculation is the act of yawning and stretching simultaneously."
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 161826.htm

yawning as a brain cooling mechanism
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Cece wrote:I have shared that I fell on my head when I was sixteen? HappyPoet posted a link in another thread to look up UCC docs and there is one in my area
Cece, so glad there is an AO chiro near you. Here is the post you mention: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p177701]

Yawning as a brain cooling mechanism - cool find, Cece ;)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”