SPASM AND STIFFNESS AS SPASTICITY

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Re: SPASM AND STIFFNESS AS SPASTICITY

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

* loving oneself. Love it!! No havent done repeat reaming. Working on hijacking an indian tonic water truck. Where do you find this stuff??

Ive doubled baclofen intake this weekend and still no relief. Cant imagine a pump inside me but may have to. Cece im definately a fan of ccsvi and a good ream but too many stories like dania has me wondering if its the right thing...i see why depression is on the ms symptom checker. Sure are a lot of road blocks once you pass the rrms stage...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

makes so much sense, to feel bad once veins are blocked - since blood's job is delivering nutrients and oxygen to the cells of the body!

optimal magnesium would deal with vasospasm too, helping loosen them up to let blood flow through.

some contexts in which magnesium helps deal with vasospasm:

The preventive effect of magnesium on coronary spasm in patients with vasospastic angina
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11115460
Mg infusion produces nonsite-specific basal coronary dilatation and suppresses Ach-induced coronary spasm in patients with VSA.

The influence of magnesium on visual field and peripheral vasospasm in glaucoma
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7715920
"...magnesium improves the peripheral circulation and seems to have a beneficial effect on the visual field in glaucoma patients with vasospasm."

Magnesium infusion for vasospasm prophylaxis after subarachnoid hemorrhage
http://thejns.org/doi/abs/10.3171/jns.2006.105.5.723
Analysis of the results suggests that MgSO4 infusion may have a role in cerebral vasospasm prophylaxis if therapy is initiated within 48 hours of aneurysm rupture.

The Concentration of Magnesium in Erythrocytes in Female Patients with Primary Raynaud's Phenomenon; Fluctuation with the Time of Year
http://ang.sagepub.com/content/45/4/283.short
"The authors conclude that women with PRP have a significantly lower magnesium concentration in erythrocytes during winter than the healthy controls and that this concentration varied with the season of the year in both groups."

a negative study finding, with analysis:

Serum magnesium levels as related to symptomatic vasospasm and outcome following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage
http://www.springerlink.com/content/746234r2w6814498/

"We identified no relationship between serum magnesium levels and the development of DIND or outcome following aneurysmal SAH.

Forty (31.5%) patients were hypomagnesemic (less than 1.7 mg/dL) during hospitalization, but no difference in outcome (p=0.185) or development of DIND (p=0.785) was found when compared to patients with normal (1.7–2.1 mg/dL) or high (greater than 2.1 mg/dL) magnesium serum levels."

a closer look at the numbers:

"hypo" = <1.7 mg/dL = < 0.6987 mmol/L
"normal" = 1.7–2.1 mg/dL = 0.6987-0.8631 mmol/L
"high" = >2.1 mg/dL = < 0.8631 mmol/L

the 'normal' range, as i've said, is 0.70-1.10.

by the standard set out in the research, 0.91 mmol/L (2.21 mg/dL) is the minimum level to be considered to have optimal status, and anyone 0.90 (2.19) or lower should be supplementing.

anyone have the full text? i'd be interested to see what percent of the total patient group actually had levels above 2.21.

the fact that the controls did not have optimal magnesium status does not automatically require them to have DIND. since magnesium does 300+ jobs in the human body, they could have had any one of 299+ other things operating in a sub-par manner.

this study is misleading, because all sick patients have suboptimal magnesium status. no wonder they found that the level doesn't make a difference.

one other tip - magnesium is quite calming in the emotional sense, as well as the muscular sense :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

And in the bowel sense
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:Cece im definately a fan of ccsvi and a good ream but too many stories like dania has me wondering if its the right thing...i see why depression is on the ms symptom checker. Sure are a lot of road blocks once you pass the rrms stage...
I know a good IR if you need one..... :wink:
He's said that in the last x number of patients, he's only had two thromboses, and those were in patients who discontinued the anticoagulant.
I don't remember the x number though but it was a good sized number. To me that says that, whoever the IR, anticoagulant is important; and that the complications rate is low these days, at least with him.

Greek, I only know you from here but I know that you've got humor and wit, which has to win out over depression and pain. Damn MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

LOL TGFTM!!!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Cece wrote:
THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:Cece im definately a fan of ccsvi and a good ream but too many stories like dania has me wondering if its the right thing...i see why depression is on the ms symptom checker. Sure are a lot of road blocks once you pass the rrms stage...
I know a good IR if you need one..... :wink:
He's said that in the last x number of patients, he's only had two thromboses, and those were in patients who discontinued the anticoagulant.
I don't remember the x number though but it was a good sized number. To me that says that, whoever the IR, anticoagulant is important; and that the complications rate is low these days, at least with him.

Greek, I only know you from here but I know that you've got humor and wit, which has to win out over depression and pain. Damn MS.

thanks...some days it does...some days it just plain doesnt....
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I have been off regular Baclofen since my procedure, and that is why I think my bladder is relatively OK now. I still use it occasionally, but regular use seems to weaken my bladder/bowels. Diosmin helps with bowels, I think. The worst spasticity trouble I had seems to have been related to a long-standing skin infection. Diosmin to the rescue there, also. (It's the poor man's Daflon.) Stiff legs still, but that is better than it was still, and it was the spasms that were killing me.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Today at pt my lumbar went into a monumental spasm. The therapist dragged my ass into a room and hooked me up to four electrodes called russian stim and i layed on a giant icepack. The stim is like a giant tims unit pulsating for twenty minutes. I encourage anyone to try if available. Unfortunately its effect only last about an hr or so. Ms sucks. You try to do the right things and you just battle more. As leonitas screamed while encouraging his 300 finest. "eat a hearty breakfast for tonight we dine in hell". I make sure i eat well each morning as each day is a fight in hell! For sparta!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

omg that sounds so nasty! have you been able to start on the mag and b-complex yet?
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Jimmy im giving it hell just like you prescribed. Taking the mag b complex the multi and zinc. Nothing yet but i must admit my bowels are functioning magnificently!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

LOL awesome! :P

give it a week, hopefully that will be enough time for something to stick :)
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

THEGREEKFROMTHED wrote:Jimmy im giving it hell just like you prescribed. Taking the mag b complex the multi and zinc. Nothing yet but i must admit my bowels are functioning magnificently!
That's what it does for me!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

what was your serum level again, dania?

the context here is documented magnesium deficiency secondary to high dose vitamin d3.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Hiya THEGREEKFROMTHEMED,

Very cool acronym...
TGFTM also stands for "Thank God for the music." 8)

Edit: Hey, I just noticed! Why didn't anyone tell me?!
Sorry, TGFTD. All I've got is "Thank God for the Dodgers," which might work if you are/were from L.A.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

HappyPoet wrote:Hiya THEGREEKFROMTHEMED,

Very cool acronym...
TGFTM also stands for "Thank God for the music." 8)

Edit: Hey, I just noticed! Why didn't anyone tell me?!
Sorry, TGFTD. All I've got is "Thank God for the Dodgers," which might work if you are/were from L.A.

you mean
thank god for teh Tigers? Dont you?