wheelchair kamikaze's latest posts

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

wheelchair kamikaze's latest posts

Post by Cece »

http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/
Ah, now onto one of my favorite topics, asinine medical research. A study out of the University Of Washington looked at the concern about falling among MS patients (click here). Shockingly, they found a majority of MS patients are concerned about falling, and even restrict their activities as a result of those concerns. HOLY CRAP! STOP THE PRESSES! You mean to say that patients suffering from a disease that weakens limbs, effects balance, and causes dizziness are worried about falling? Well, knock me over with a feather (and believe me, you could)! Researchers conducting such studies appear to be required by law to create acronyms, so this bunch of Einsteins refer to "concern about falling" as CAF. Their careful analysis of 575 patients found that 62% reported CAF, and that 67% restricted their activities as a result of CAF. I'm very curious about those 5% who don't report any CAF yet still restrict their activities. Are they psychic? Do they take their umbrellas with them on sunny days?

A further insight was that "While the researchers found that fall risk increased with declining mobility function, at a certain threshold, further declines in mobility function were associated with fewer falls, possibly because of reduced fall risk exposure." In other words, as a person's body becomes more screwed up due to MS, their risk of falling increases, until they become so freaking gimpy that their asses get stuck in wheelchairs, at which point their risk of falling decreases dramatically. WELL, HOWDY! Who would've ever thought that people sitting wheelchairs have less chance of falling than people who will very soon need to be in wheelchairs but are still gamely struggling to remain upright despite the increasing uselessness of their legs? Brilliant!

I want to conduct my own research study. I'd like to test the CAF of the researchers who did this study the moment before I drop bowling balls on their heads. And then let's see how their behavior is modified after they return from the emergency room. Jackasses.
Made me laugh out loud. :)
And further up, with the post about MS progression and fears, makes me worry like hell. For his sake and any of us.
There was a time not long ago when the worst I could imagine of MS was the wheelchair. It was eye-opening (and maybe eyes should stay closed, while they can) to learn how it keeps getting worse.
David1949
Family Elder

Re: wheelchair kamikaze's latest posts

Post by David1949 »

Mark is such a talented writer. And the fact that he has maintained his sense of humor speaks much about his character. Another MS hero!

I hereby donate my bowling ball for use in his study.
hwebb
Family Elder

Post by hwebb »

and let's do a double blinded random placebo controlled study, to see if removing an obstruction in a tributary facilitates flow.

It would be funny if it wasn't true.
offaduxback

Post by offaduxback »

Us British are well known for our sense of humour helping us challenge adversity, generations before, did it during the 2nd world war, my Dad and Nan did it in years gone by when he was young They as a family were poor, but their sense of humour as a family made them very RICH indeed.

Hence my user name offaduxback, nothing stix,
Last edited by offaduxback on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
offaduxback

His name precedes him

Post by offaduxback »

I am familiar to his name from the ms society, I think???! he is one of our own Cece, no need to worry.
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

HUGE LOL!
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I wonder how these characters get funding for such a study. My guess is that the government provided the funding since they are the only ones dumb enough and irresponsible enough to do it. Ever wonder how we got a $15 trillion national debt?
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

once again...researchers strike gold...and find nothing relative to the cause of ms....quite sad actually.
www.thegreekfromdetroit.com
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

This could have been another episode of Dr. Neuro Oligist, but this stuff is hard to beat.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

How ridiculous. If one needs a good laugh this qualifies. But MS is no laughing matter. How about some real research that may provide real answers. It's hard not to double over laughing. Amazing how research dollars are spent.