There isn’t enough money to be made in a cure...

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

There isn’t enough money to be made in a cure...

Post by ThisIsMA »

This article is about a potential inexpensive vaccine based cure for diabetes that is being rejected by the pharmaceutical companies because it will not bring them enough money, but the vaccine may also help treat MS, and the article relates to CCSVI by speaking to why "the powers that be" may be dragging their feet on CCSVI, and/or actively working to block access to/acceptance of CCSVI.

At least the unvarnished truth is stated simply and clearly in this article. Here is the link to the full article plus a few relevant excerpts (bolding of type added by me for emphasis):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-0 ... or-tb.html
A tuberculosis vaccine in use for 90 years may help reverse Type 1 diabetes and eliminate the life- long need for insulin injections, say Harvard University researchers raising money to conduct large, human studies.
Faustman and her colleagues at Massachusetts General in Boston are working to get the vaccine to market. After their early findings in studies with mice, she said they tried to interest every major drugmaker in developing the vaccine as a possible cure for diabetes. All told her there wasn’t enough money to be made in a cure that used an inexpensive, generically available vaccine, Faustman said.
So now, she is trying to raise money to pay for the expensive larger human trials. Her lab so far has received $11 million of the $25 million needed to pay for the next stage of testing. All of the money is coming from private donors, the largest of which is the Iacocca Family Foundation.
The vaccine’s ability to raise levels of cell-killing TNF also is being studied as a way to treat multiple sclerosis. In a study in Italy, researchers found the vaccine may prevent progressions of brain lesions in patients with advanced stages of MS, Faustman said.
I have to say I am really impressed by how much money they have raised from private donors so far!! We need this level of fundraising ability to fund a CCSVI clinical trial to be conducted by Dr. Sclafani.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: There isn’t enough money to be made in a cure...

Post by NHE »

ThisIsMA wrote:This article is about a potential inexpensive vaccine based cure for diabetes that is being rejected by the pharmaceutical companies because it will not bring them enough money, but the vaccine may also help treat MS, and the article relates to CCSVI by speaking to why "the powers that be" may be dragging their feet on CCSVI, and/or actively working to block access to/acceptance of CCSVI.
The vaccine’s ability to raise levels of cell-killing TNF also is being studied as a way to treat multiple sclerosis. In a study in Italy, researchers found the vaccine may prevent progressions of brain lesions in patients with advanced stages of MS, Faustman said.
Has anybody been able to find this study with the TB vaccine and MS? I did a couple of searches on Pubmed, but only found some EAE studies in mice. Is there some reason why we wouldn't want a TB vaccine? I've been thinking that it might be a good idea to try to hedge our bet against MS. Any thoughts on this?

NHE
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0041756
I like when we get full studies and not just the abstract. I am sure the Italy study is in the citations although I didn't find it on a glance-through.

okay, I looked harder, and here are the MS studies that are cited:
26.Ristori G, Buzzi MG, Sabatini U, Giugni E, Bastianello S, et al. (1999) Use of Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 53: 1588–1589. Find this article online

27.Paolillo A, Buzzi MG, Giugni E, Sabatini U, Bastianello S, et al. (2003) The effect of Bacille Calmette-Guerin on the evolution of new enhancing lesions to hypointense T1 lesions in relapsing remitting MS. Journal of Neurology 250: 247–248. Find this article online

31.Enayati PJ, Papadakis KA (2005) Association of Anti-tumor Necrosis Factor Therapy With the Development of Multiple Sclerosis. J Clin Gastroenterol 39: 303–306. Find this article online

32.Sicotte NL, Voskuhl RR (2001) Onset of multiple sclerosis associated with anti-TNF therapy. Neurology 57: 1885–1888. Find this article online

51.Allcock RJN, de la Concha EG, Fernandez-Arquero M, Vigil P, Conejero L, et al. (1999) Susceptibility to multiple sclerosis mediated by HLA-DRB1 is influenced by a second gene telomeric of the TNF cluster. Human Immunology 60: 1266–1273. Find this article online

54.Wandinger KP, Sturzebecher CS, Bielekova B, Detore G, Rosenwald A, et al. (2001) Complex immunomodulatory effects of interferon-beta in multiple sclerosis include the upregulation of T helper 1-associated marker genes. Annals of Neurology 50: 349–357. Find this article online
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Post by ThisIsMA »

Here is one of the studies about the result of using a vaccine to treat MS from the list of studies Cece posted (thanks Cece).

http://www.springerlink.com/content/8v4xljub04473v8y/

I only had time to scan it, but it seems intriguingly hopeful. It just burns me that there are so many studies with positive results that don't get followed up on because they are for readily available inexpensive treatments that can't be turned into money makers for the drug companies. Its nauseating, immoral, disgusting. It appears that the goal isn't to save lives, but to make money for investors. This also makes me question the validity of the drugs they do bring to market. And we wonder why health care costs are soaring!

There was another small study that showed that the very inexpensive prescription drug Prozac reduces new lesions in MS, but to my knowledge no large studies were ever done on that one either. I'm late so I have to sign off now but I'll look for the prozac study later (or you might be able to search for it on ThisIsMS because I think I might have posted about it a few years ago).

It would also be worth it to look through the other studies Cece posted the list of.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
tazbo
Family Member

Post by tazbo »

http://gizmodo.com/5934555/the-miracle- ... lain-sight
More of the same info. This sure looks interesting. Pharma is ignoring for all of the reasons we suspect from them.
THEGREEKFROMTHED
Family Elder

Post by THEGREEKFROMTHED »

Finally a topic that makes sense. I had a baclofen pump installed spent one night in the er. $48000 was billed to insurance. Didn't include the surgery. Cure? What cure? Two weeks earlier spent four days in hospital with a uti. $9500. Switch gears to cancer. There's an oncologist on every corner. What would happen to all those buildings? Big pharma isn't big anymore. It's HUGE

http://www.thegreekfromdetroit.com