Balance Wear Vest – My Story

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
milesap
Family Elder

Post by milesap »

Date 08/31/12
On another thread, I was asked to comment after being fitted for a Balance Wear Vest.

On Friday I visited Physiotherapy Associates in Bear, Delaware to get fitted for a Motion Therapeutics Balance Wear Vest. The purpose was to see if it could improve my balance enough to prevent me from staggering and falling. In about an hour I was evaluated and fitted with a demonstration a vest. I had one and half pounds of weight placed in strategic locations.

At the stand still test, the Physical Therapist with a gentle push caused me roll backwards and fall to my left side (with her catching me). This was done at various body locations see how I reacted. Now, with the vest on and weights located, with eyes opened and closed, I was able to recover from the pushes (not falling).

Next, I was able to walk in a straight line with a slight sway but no longer staggering. I walked about twenty steps close to normal, I do have foot drop, which hinders my walking normally. Because of that, I will still use the cane. I was no longer walking with my left leg having the tendency to cross over my right leg. After doing this a few times and not being able to cause the staggering effect, I decided to order the actual vest I would use.

Based on measurements I had made a few weeks earlier (video one http://www.youtube.com/user/motiontherapeutics), Motion Therapeutics had made arrangements to send the vest I would be using to Physiotherapy Associates, so that the demo and actual vest can be fitted the same day.

Next, I was fitted for my actual vest and asked to sit in a chair. I was able to get up with ease and walk twenty paces as close too normal (with foot drop and my cane) without staggering. At this point, I was asked to remove the vest five times and practice putting it on and walking twenty paces each time. I had the same slight sway, which was much less than without the vest and did not stagger. My pace also improved about 20 percent. The stand still test was repeated and I was able to recover from the pushes.

So lets state what it wont do: no it not going to cure MS, it’s not going to cure foot drop, it’s not going to make you walk better if your walking poorly and do not have balance issues.

It is important to note, not everyone who gets fitted for the vest may be helped, so I recommend you keep expectations at zero and see what happens.

If you’re interested in more information visit the web site, http://www.motiontherapeutics.com, they will make arrangements to get you fitted at the closest location.
DougL
Family Elder

Re: Balance Wear Vest – My Story

Post by DougL »

that is good to read.

a question. do you have to return for adjustments?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

That is great! Such a simple idea, and for it to work that well.
milesap
Family Elder

Post by milesap »

Some people may have to return for adjustments as their situation changes.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

milesap,
I'm happy for you and hope you continue to improve in balance and walking.
I started the process (assessment) a few weeks ago, it's a slower process for me as I'm going through
my ins. I too will be going to Bear, Delaware. I'm hoping to improve my balance, so this might be helpful.
milesap
Family Elder

Post by milesap »

Dlynn I know I got frustrated with my insurance too. You might need to get fitted at another location nearby who the insurance company recognizes such as Hanger Inc. Physiotherapy Associates will make the arrangements with Hanger and you will be fitted by both a PT there and Physiotherapy Associates. I had fallen two weeks and said heck with the insurance company and paid for it myself and will I'll put my own claim in after I get the receipt from Motion Therapuetics.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

milesap, thanks for the advice. I'm waiting for one more script, then I can make my appt. I thought of paying out of pocket,
I'll see what happens with ins. since I started already. Do you live in Delaware? I'm in Phila.,Pa. I understand it might be two or three visits.
Do you feel more confident walking with the vest, I still have balance issues even after venoplasty.
milesap
Family Elder

Post by milesap »

I live in nj two hrs from the DE facility straight down 95. Venoplasty worked for other things except walking and balance. The vest is comfortable with slight tightness in the waist. I went out last evening wearing it over a tee shirt and wore a polo shirt over the top of it with no problem.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Thank you milesap, please keep us posted. I love success stories!
(I'm also right off I95)
coach
Family Elder

Post by coach »

have balance issues. maybe this will help. milestep read about your ccsvi experience with ccsvi clinic in india on another thread. wanted to ask if any one had pain in calf muscles lower back pain and chronic constipation issues and never getting the sensation of hunger, not that I dont eat but just not hungry. am numb in pubic area. would like to hear from others. never had RRMS just went from CIS of optic neuritis to secondary progressive some 14 years later. daughter seems to be following that path. ON was post partum as was hers.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

hi coach,

I too, have this vest. It was very helpful for about the first 2mos. I'm sure it needs some adjustments now because I'm starting to bump into walls and furniture. I also have much leg pain,(leg veins are fine) calf pain, and lower back pain. I noticed that the CCSVI procedure increased my appetite, before I wasn't very hungry. I was first diagnosed about 19yrs. ago, RRMS then progressed to SPMS 15yrs. later.
I struggle most with weak, painful, heavy legs that I thought the procedure would help. I think the vest is worth a try.
Rosegirl
Family Elder

Post by Rosegirl »

dlynn, Talk to your doctor about Daflon 500. My legs were very heavy, although fortunately I didn't have any pain. I took it for three months and my legs were no longer heavy so I stopped and the problem did not return. You have to buy it on ebay or import it from somewhere as it isn't sold in the US.

My legs, especially on the left, are very stiff. Two days ago, my chiropractor recommended using an arnica cream or gel. Wow, that stuff worked really well for me. You can buy it at a health food store.

I hope it helps you!
Last edited by Rosegirl on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Rosegirl,
thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try the arnica cream and talk to my Dr. about Daflon 500
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

@dlynn Daflon was discussed here a while back. I don't think there was too much positive feedback, otherwise I would've climbed aboard! We'll keep trying! It looked promising. I think that we will need something like Daflon to keep valves open pre/post venoplasty.
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

PointsNorth wrote:@dlynn Daflon was discussed here a while back. I don't think there was too much positive feedback, otherwise I would've climbed aboard! We'll keep trying! It looked promising. I think that we will need something like Daflon to keep valves open pre/post venoplasty.
Diamox. If you have cerebral hypertension. It does help me. The girls who help me every day cannot believe the difference in me since I started taking it.