Dr. Sverdrup's systems analysis ISNVD 2013

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Dr. Sverdrup's systems analysis ISNVD 2013

Post by Cece »

http://isnvd2013.euromedicpoland.com/us ... 8_2_13.pdf

Dr. Sverdrup is on the program at the upcoming ISNVD conferences.

[quote][quote]Special guest lecture: Using systems analysis to investigate the root causes of multiple sclerosis, developing an integrated treatment strategy. Harald U. Sverdrup (Sweden)[/quote][/quote]

I don't know what that means!

Here's a 2005 paper from Dr. Sverdrup.
http://www.systemdynamics.org/conferenc ... RAL310.pdf

[quote][quote]Experiences from the Swedish LUMES programme (Where the authors have been teaching systems analysis since 1997) has shown that the CLD is a good tool for mental model communication between persons with different ethnic, cultural and academic background. Working successfully with the mental models requires that several steps are followed through (Haraldsson and Sverdrup, 2003; Haraldsson, 2004). These are:

1. Define the problem and create the system boundaries.
2. Ask the question, state explicitly the purpose and goals.
3. Sort main variables in the problem and list them according to hierarchal order.
4. Draw the Stock and Flow Diagram (SFD), then the Causal Loop Diagram (CLD) and test them against each other. Question every link, ask for every link about possible back-links
5. Draw Reference Behaviour Pattern (RBP) as derived from the CLD and SFD and compare this to the Observed Behaviour Pattern (OBP) as derived from experiences.
6. Test if assumptions are reasonable in the CLD and SFD
7. Learn and revise by going back to point 3.
8. When the questions can be answered to satisfaction: Conclude, document and implement the results[/quote][/quote]

A good tool for persons from different academic backgrounds? Such as interventional radiologists and neurologists?
Last edited by Cece on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robnl
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Sverdrup's systems analysis ISNVD 2013

Post by Robnl »

who is dr. sverdrup?
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

He's presenting at ISNVD but his background is in biogeochemistry and systems analysis.
http://www2.chemeng.lth.se/staff/harald/
Introduction
I am Professor of Chemical Engineering (1994), heading the Biogeochemistry and Systems Analysis Group since 1983. I am a native Norwegian (1954), enjoying the creativity of the Swedish academic environment since 1980.
My research
My research is strongly influenced by the supervision of many PhD students in many fields, from many different viewpoints and by colleagues with different backgrunds.
I conduct research actively into chemical weathering of minerals in soils, soil chemistry modellig, forest ecosystem modellig, aquatic ecosystem modellig involving population dynamics and the P and Hg cycles. My research has so far focused on how to model soil processes and their inteaction with trees in a mechanistic way. Our work has come to wide use in the work under the UN/ECE-LRTAP convention where we have built and adapter models like PROFILE, SAFE, FORSAFE, AGRO-SAFE and BigMERK to regional use in Europe. Much effort has gone into developing the concept of "Critical loads" and to implement it throughout different regions of the world.

I conduct research into chemical weathering kinetics and the mechanistic modelling of this process using the transition state theory. The PROFILE model is a result of this research, a model that can a-priori predict weathering rates based on first principles and fundamental data, without requiring any calibration.

In our work we have many contacts with European and American research institutions. I also do research on developing mathematical models for language dispersal in the past and how this is connected to the dispersal of man on earth, reskulting in genetical and linguistic patterns. The process has been modelled with the anthropologically focused LANGUAGE model. Our research is largely externally funder by Swedish Governemental Boards, Research foundations (MISTRA) and EU. Swedish industry also fund some development project.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Cece--
Here's Dr. Sverdup's full paper. It was first presented in Switzerland in 2012. He posted it on the FB page when it was published, he's been an involved poster there for a couple of years--(he was interested in my endothelial ideas)
http://www.systemsmodelbook.org/uploade ... -P1183.pdf

What he and his group are doing is using computer system analysis to unravel MS causation--they break apart the disease into what we know, or logical chunks of data, and put it back together using statistics. This creates causal loop diagrams you will find in the paper. From this, the group derives a model, which can be used to discuss treatment modalities. It's complex, but so is MS. Their conclusion is that the interaction of venous malformations with diet, lifestyle and genetic factors leads to a breakdown in the blood brain barrier, triggering an immune reaction.
Have fun with the paper :-)
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

Thx Cheer, its very interesting, what a good analysis can do 8)
MarkW
Family Elder

Post by MarkW »

An interesting piece of work. Unfortunately it does not consider the early stages of MS (for 90% of pwMS) in which MS is relapsing then remitting. The model considered by Dr Sverdrup and most CCSVI researchers is one in which venous back pressure is a prime factor in the leakage of the BBB. This model does not explain the relapsing-remitting nature of the start of MS and progression for many years. My conclusion is that MS is more complex than even this complex model.
MarkW
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Lol.
Nicely put Mark.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Dr. Sverdrup does go into remissions, and the reason they stop, if I'm reading the same paper as you are. To me a simpler explanation for their existence is the creation of collateral veins, which pw"MS" have more of than controls, according to Dr. Zivadinov's research. Also I believe age is a factor, since secondary "MS" usually sets in after ten or so years of "RRMS".

On another topic, in his paper legumes are supposed to be involved in molecular mimicry. Problem I have is, which legumes? All of them? That include peanuts and soybeans? What do I have left? Lettuce, carrots? I need more detail, more protein, and more grains...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I was sent a doc by Dr. Ashton that offers a comprehensive review. I would post the PDF but I don't know how :roll: 200 pages
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html