Trauma reduces the flow through the IJVs

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Trauma reduces the flow through the IJVs

Post by Cece »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3566196/
From an article titled, MRI Evidence for Altered Venous Drainage and Intracranial Compliance in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury, published this month:
In conclusion, the current study provides imaging-based evidence of a chronically reduced cerebral venous drainage through the internal jugular veins, an increased drainage in secondary venous channels with a concomitantly mild decreased intracranial compliance and mild increased intracranial pressure in supine subjects with a history of mTBI.
Holy moly. That's interesting, right?
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Re: Trauma reduces the flow through the IJVs

Post by MrSuccess »

much more than interesting. There has been a long held belief , along with hard fought legal proceedings that have linked trauma to MS. I do note the exceptional difference in time of trauma until MS symptoms arrive.

Nothing in this paper surprises MrSuccess. As I am on the record as a strong believer of the trauma >>>>> MS connection. And have held this viewpoint for years.

thanks for posting this .

MrSuccess
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

You are very much on record. I thought of you when I posted this.
I'm inclined toward the idea that the "chronically reduced cerebral venous drainage through the internal jugular veins" that occurs after TBI would have compounding effect, so that pre-existing jugular or azygous outflow obstructions would also be present, and the whole situation made worse by the changes in blood flow induced by TBI.
I also don't see any explanation in the article for WHY there would be a shift in venous outflow after TBI.
Does the brain injury that occurs in MS also cause a shift? Would this shift worsen the situation if there is, in addition, outflow obstructions?
More questions than answers, sometimes.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Edema and CSF build up caused by TBI change the hemodynamic compliance (fits in with Clive Begg's work)
all about increased intracranial pressure and the venous sinus.

Here's an ISNVD fun fact---at any given time, 70% of the brain's blood resides in the veins.
So, if there is any disturbance, it's the venous system that gets hit...not the arterial side, which is still delivering.

oh, my brain is so very crispy....
I'm glad Cece is posting. Don't mind me if I just start spouting random ISNVD fun facts....
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

cheerleader wrote:Don't mind me if I just start spouting random ISNVD fun facts....
cheer
Yes please. :-D
I was disappointed yesterday when I got to the end of the program book, because it was so much goodness and then over.
Lots to crunch on. There have been some years when it hasn't felt as if much progress was made. This was a year that felt as if there is progress being made.
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

I must be the current 'Poster Child" for the trauma-MS connection.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

Donnchadh wrote:I must be the current 'Poster Child" for the trauma-MS connection.

Donnchadh
yes, you are the poster child. congrat's :smile: i don't know if some realize how this could have an impact on many for the positive. and, other surgeons will step up as he did and get out from underneath the thumb of mainstream and the hold neurologist have managed to keep on these symptoms someone named ms based on "theory only". we are individuals, we deserve to be looked that way and treated that way. -- we are all different in our sameness.

look forward to your future post. thanks for shareing ... and may you continue to see even more improvement!
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

Interesting; saved for later.