The Driscoll Theory explains all of my health problems

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
magoo
Family Elder

The Driscoll Theory explains all of my health problems

Post by magoo »

I've been diagnosed with MS, CCSVI, POTS, IBS, Fibromyalgia, Chiari, Degenerative Disc Disease, RA, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Endometriosis, and Scoliosis. I've been treated for CCSVI successfully and I receive Atlas Orthogonal adjustments on a regular basis. Both of these have resolved the hypo perfusion in my CNS. Many of my symptoms have been resolved or at least have improved. I've had no progression of my MS since my first CCSVI treatment in 2009.
My doctor and I always joked that I was weird. A few weeks ago he said he thought I had Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I had heard of it because of Dr. Diana Driscoll, who posts on this board and attends CCSVI Seminars. I just never looked into it. Now, I can't believe I missed it! EDS explains all of my seemingly unrelated health issues.
I have a few hoops to jump through before getting an official diagnosed. First, I need to see a geneticist. Then, I need to find a doctor who knows what EDS is and how to treat it. I've only found three doctors in the US and they have very, very long waiting lists.
There are several types of EDS. It is also hereditary. This troubles me greatly. I have two wonderful boys and I am really worried for their futures.
Is there anyone who has gone down this road? Does anyone have any information which may be helpful?
Below is some info on the Driscoll Theory.
"The Role of External Communicating Hydrocephalus, Mast Cell Disease and CCSVI as the cause of POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

It is a hefty, complex theory so I will only attempt to hit the highlights here:

External Communicating Hydrocephalus causes subtle levels of High Intracranial Pressure, often from birth. This results in a constellation of neurological and autonomic dysfunction symptoms that can manifest at any age. Poor CSF drainage resulting from defective collagen causes CSF to build up on top of the brain and pushes the brain down, putting pressure on the brain stem and other structures. This downward pressure blocks CSF draining out of the brain and creates a constellation of symptoms – base of the brain, pressure headache; dizziness; tachycardia; fainting/near fainting; nausea; blurred vision; numbness in the extremities and so on – in short, symptoms of Chiari, Cervical Instability, Brainstem compression and POTS. Diamox, a mild diuretic, can quickly reduce the build up of CFS and relieve the debilitating symptoms overnight. Even if cervical instability requires a fusion or a Chiari Malformation calls for a decompression, using Diamox to reduce the CSF pressure above the brain could make those surgeries more successful.
CCSVI (Chronic Cerebrospinal Venus Insufficiency) Stenosed (narrowed) veins in the cervical region result in poor blood and CSF drainage, contributing to the cycle of building pressure above the brain. Angioplasty can open the narrowed veins and restore proper drainage. This is a big area of research in MS; EDSers are at increased risk of developing MS so the connection is intriguing. [Edited to point out that the veins of EDSers are fragile and CCSVI treatment is problematic, although stenosed veins may indeed be a problem. No one should run out and seek CCSVI treatment. It is an intriguing connection but available treatment is not necessarily the answer.]
Mast Cell Disease is at the root of the Driscoll Theory. In mast cell disease – mastocytosis or mast cell activation syndrome – mast cells degranulate and release a host of toxic chemicals throughout the body. Mast cells can hide all over the body – in the gut, in the brain, in the bladder, etc. When they are in the brain, they can affect the production of CSF and cause autonomic dysfunction symptoms. They can damage blood vessels, causing them to be ” ‘leakier’ and weaker” than they already are in EDS patients. In the gut, they cause serious GI issues, including food sensitivities that mimic gluten intolerance and more. Flushing, tachycardia, fainting/near fainting, abdominal pain,headaches, fatigue are symptoms of mast cell disease and, not coincidentally, are also symptoms of POTS. Treatment includes H1 and H2 histamine blockers, like Zyrtec and Zantac. A mast cell stabilizer like Gastrocrom is the next line of treatment. Some researchers believe that POTS = mast cell disease (there is certainly a connection with hyperadrenergic POTS); other doctors are successfully treating IBS with mast cell stabilizers. Mast cell disease is a big area of research for the EDS community and offers a very interesting avenue of investigation."

Rhonda~
Treated by Dake 10/19/09, McGuckin 4/25/11 and 3/9/12- blockages in both IJVs, azy, L-iliac, L-renal veins. CCSVI changed my life and disease.
blossom
Family Elder

Re: The Driscoll Theory explains all of my health problems

Post by blossom »

hi magoo, sounds like you have been one busy girl. thank you for this info. and update.

the best to you!
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

Hey Blossom! Thanks for the reply. I am really pleased I fixed my venous blockages because at least I fixed one of my problems! Now, to keep moving forward to fight and fix the rest where I can. I guess there aren't too many people with EDS around here! I thought I might find a few.
Rhonda~
Treated by Dake 10/19/09, McGuckin 4/25/11 and 3/9/12- blockages in both IJVs, azy, L-iliac, L-renal veins. CCSVI changed my life and disease.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

magoo i'm sure there are more-they just don't know it. you are a trailblazer. please keep tims updated. there are those interested even the lurkers.
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

Will do!
Rhonda~
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I seem also to have at least one of the symptoms Dr. Driscoll is associating with this problem. However there seem to be others I don't have. Interestingly, I have a brother who was born with, and continues to have problems with, high-pressure hydrocephalus, which has been treated with a shunt.

I look forward to more information on this topic,
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

I have started taking Diamox for the intracranial pressure headaches I have. I've noticed some benefit in the intensity of my headaches.
Rhonda~
DrDiana
Family Elder

Post by DrDiana »

Hi magoo,
Although I haven't been active on this thread lately, I popped on briefly and saw your post! I HAD to tell you that you are certainly not alone. There are so many MS patients who have connective tissue disorders, but are never diagnosed (90% of us are never diagnosed).
Unfortunately, my son and I did not benefit from venoplasty, but I certainly recognize that we have "funky veins".

I'll have some new science (and medication) coming out soon, but meanwhile, I will mention to you that almost every MS patient I've seen has some amount of high intracranial pressure, and Diamox can be used (if done properly) to reduce this pressure -- usually resulting in no more headaches (especially a.m.), improved cognition (more oxygen can get to the brain), and less fatigue. My tremor stopped with Diamox, as did other 'neurological' disorders (some double vision, for example). I presented this at ISNVD, and for the life of me, I can't understand why more MS patients don't use it, even if part-time.

So glad it could help you a bit, my friend! ;)
Dr. Diana

Special interest in "brain drains" and how they affect numerous conditions, including MS, Ehlers-Danlos, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc. I am a therapeutic optometrist on professional disability with EDS, POTS, CCSVI, mast cell disea
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

Thanks for the reply! I had stents with my CCSVI treatment and they are all in good working order. They have cured my POTS and have really helped me improve.
My doctor is suspicious of the more uncommon types of EDS. He is trying to find a geneticist for me. Then, I think I may have to go to Maryland to see a doctor familiar with EDS.
I have a few questions about Diamox. My dosage is 250mg a day. I've been taking it for about a week. Is this the right dose? I ask because I'm having some side effects and I'm not sure if they are normal. I have had numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I've had more fatigue. I've had very vivid dreams. I've been a little spacey. And, my vision has been blurry and shaky. I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor. Will these side effects go away?
I have two boys who also show signs of EDS. I really want to get more answers so I can help them.
I will be looking for more information from you. I've shared The Driscoll Theory with my doctor. He is very open to learning more too.
Thanks Dr Diana!
Rhonda~
DrDiana
Family Elder

Post by DrDiana »

Everyone's dose is different. A good urologist or nephrologist is essential. Maybe this will help: http://prettyill.com/videos/watch/lets_ ... out_diamox

Hang in!
Dr. Diana

Special interest in "brain drains" and how they affect numerous conditions, including MS, Ehlers-Danlos, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc. I am a therapeutic optometrist on professional disability with EDS, POTS, CCSVI, mast cell disea
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

Hi there! I have not signed in for a long time but I really wanted to say a (very) little bit about Ehlers-Danlos. If you search the forum you will see that we have had some great discussions about this in the past. I believe there is no doubt about the connection between EDS and "MS." Dr. Diana has been wonderful in adding to this. Look for her posts, things from Cheerleader...I know I have posted stuff... There's good material! And relating to our kids, too.

I called the Ehlers-Danlos Foundation a few times in 2009 and beyond with info and to encourage them to get informed about CCSVI. Not a huge response. But I have tried. :-)