MS and vascular problems associated

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
frodo
Family Elder

MS and vascular problems associated

Post by frodo »

Of course, to have two conditions associated does not imply causality, but I think the association between MS and vascular problems cannot be discussed anymore.

A systematic review of the incidence and prevalence of cardiac, cerebrovascular, and peripheral vascular disease in multiple sclerosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25533300

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Findings regarding the prevalence of vascular comorbidities in multiple sclerosis (MS) are conflicting.

OBJECTIVE:
The objective of this review is to estimate the incidence and prevalence of vascular comorbidities and predisposing comorbidities in persons with MS and to assess the quality of the included studies.

METHODS:
The PubMed, EMBASE, SCOPUS and Web of Knowledge databases, conference proceedings, and reference lists of retrieved articles were searched. One reviewer abstracted data using a standardized data collection form, while the second reviewer verified the abstraction. Included studies were assessed qualitatively. Quantitatively, we assessed studies using the I2 statistic, and conducted meta-analyses for population-based studies only.

RESULTS:
The prevalence of hypertension and hyperlipidemia exceeded 10% in the MS population and increased with age. While the prevalence of ischemic heart disease, congestive heart failure, and stroke were less than 5% overall, the prevalence of these conditions exceeded expectations when compared to the general population. Cardiac valvular disease, however, affected the MS population less often than expected. Problems with study quality were common.

CONCLUSION:
Despite the relatively high prevalence of some vascular comorbidities in the MS population, important gaps exist in our understanding of their epidemiology. Most of our knowledge is based on studies conducted in a small number of regions.
Last edited by frodo on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric593
Family Elder

Re: MS and vascular problems associated beyond any doubt

Post by eric593 »

I'm sorry, but to find an association "beyond any doubt" between MS and vascular problems in a study whose background suggests conflict between any association and whose conclusion clearly states that their review is confined to MSer's in a small number of regions, seems to me to be over-reaching at best and selectively biased at worst.

Your subject line really seems to be misleading, IMO, and is not in MSer's best interests.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I could be wrong but I don't believe that everyone with MS has vascular problems and I would guess that not everyone with vascular problems develops MS.
milesap
Family Elder

Post by milesap »

This is old news because over 90 percent of MS patients suffer from CCSVI (Chronic Cerebral Spinal Venus Insufficiency) bad valves in the jugular veins are the most common. Just google CCSVI and be surprised. I know a person who was a few days away from killing himself had CCSVI treatment now runs every day. For him it improved balance and walking For me cog fog is gone, MS hug gone, migraines are gone and the ability to speak improved by 90%. No effect on my walking. Treatment results will vary from none to significant. Visit you tube see before and after videos.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

eric593 wrote:I'm sorry, but to find an association "beyond any doubt" between MS and vascular problems in a study whose background suggests conflict between any association and whose conclusion clearly states that their review is confined to MSer's in a small number of regions, seems to me to be over-reaching at best and selectively biased at worst.

Your subject line really seems to be misleading, IMO, and is not in MSer's best interests.
Well, I admit that the title was my own conclusion and maybe misleading. Maybe I should change it?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Frodo---
I would say that one study will never prove "beyond any doubt" and you'll certainly get into trouble using that language around here :)

More and more studies from different practices, including cellular biology, are saying that there is a connection between MS and the vasculature, and we must study this.

Here's 3 brand new studies on the break of the blood brain barrier and microbleeding in the MS brain before immune activation. I wrote it up recently on my blog, and posted today on TIMS.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 25766.html

Here's to learning more in 2015!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com