Is TVAM the new kid on the CCSVI block?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
zjac020
Family Elder

Is TVAM the new kid on the CCSVI block?

Post by zjac020 »

Hi all,

How many of you have heard of TVAM?

IT seems to be very similar to CCSVI, but from a marketing perspective its been cleverly dissaciated from MS, so that neuros turn a blind eye to it.

There seems to be one very well know Dr Arata performing the procedure in the states, with good results.

Any of you heard of this procedure?

Thanks,
zjac
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Is TVAM the new kid on the CCSVI block?

Post by Cece »

With TVAM, he balloons the jugulars in the area of the valves regardless of whether or not there's an abnormality there. That's concerning because a healthy jugular valve could become damaged. He justifies the procedure as having a physical mechanical impact on autonomic nerve fibers or the vagus nerve but there's very little science behind that, as opposed to angioplasty having been used to clear vessels of obstructions for 25+ years. The idea of modulating nerve fibers via angioplasty is not entirely out of left field; it is currently being investigated in renal nerve denervation with mixed results.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

zjac020 wrote:There seems to be one very well know Dr Arata performing the procedure in the states, with good results.

Any of you heard of this procedure?
I know of one patient that was treated by Dr. Arata and had their heart ballooned as well as their jugular veins. In ballooning the heart, it seems like Dr. Arata has ventured quite far from CCSVI.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

As far as ive seen, Dr Arata has found some kind of correlation between some slight heart issue and MS (im repeating what ive seen on a fafacebook MS related page, no on scientific literature).

I guess my real question is...is it a better treatment than the standard CCSVI treatments in poland or Italy?
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Cece wrote:With TVAM, he balloons the jugulars in the area of the valves regardless of whether or not there's an abnormality there. That's concerning because a healthy jugular valve could become damaged. He justifies the procedure as having a physical mechanical impact on autonomic nerve fibers or the vagus nerve but there's very little science behind that, as opposed to angioplasty having been used to clear vessels of obstructions for 25+ years. The idea of modulating nerve fibers via angioplasty is not entirely out of left field; it is currently being investigated in renal nerve denervation with mixed results.
Hey Cece,

You've stirred my mad mind with your reference to jugular damage. Since you live and breathe all of that ccsvi imaging stuff, have you seen any scarring from ballooning? I wonder if Arata doesn't wind up scarring the jugular (jugular callous? Lol) and consequently creates a long lasting stimulus to the vagus or whatever nerve he is targeting. Doesn't he use a large balloon at high pressure? Just another shot in the dark but I'm curious. :)

I have no idea what the vagus might have to do with ms...but it seems like its safer/less expensive to stimulate the vagus through diet, gut flora, and physical exercises (there must be some Pilates or yoga pose to do that).

Be well
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Anonymoose wrote: I wonder if Arata doesn't wind up scarring the jugular (jugular callous? Lol) and consequently creates a long lasting stimulus to the vagus or whatever nerve he is targeting.
Huh, that's a new theory. It seems simpler to assume that ballooning the jugular removes obstructions and improves brain blood flow which improves autonomic nervous system functioning. The action (jugular ballooning) and the end result (improved autonomic functioning) are the same as in Dr. Arata's scenario; it's the theories that are different.
Since you live and breathe all of that ccsvi imaging stuff, have you seen any scarring from ballooning?
I think what's seen is a reduction in the size (CSA) of the jugular. Yes, in the early days especially, the use of oversized balloons increased the risk of scarring. Jugulars can be lost. That's why I'm a fan of precision in measurements.
You've stirred my mad mind with your reference to jugular damage.
Mad mind! Love it. Hope you are well.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Hehe. Thanks, Cece. TVAM still makes no sense to me. But I can get over it. :)
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

It seems that TVAM is a procedure, not a name for a condition, as CCSVI is.

And it is not kept unrelated to MS. There is at least a publication about both together.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24915592

Transvascular autonomic modulation: a modified balloon angioplasty technique for the treatment of autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis patients.