CCSVI exists again and this time is related to more problems

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
frodo
Family Elder

CCSVI exists again and this time is related to more problems

Post by frodo »

CHRONIC CEREBRO-SPINAL INSUFFICIENCY (CCSVI) IN MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS (MS) and MENIERE DISEASE (MD): SAME BACKGROUND, DIFFERENT PATTERN

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Da ... 0c7a6a.pdf

Abstract
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease of the Central Nervous System characterized by demyelinating lesions with a progressive loss of sensori-motor functions. Mèniére Disease (MD) is a disorder of the inner ear characterized by acute spells of vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss with a progressive loss of vestibular and cochlear function. A multifactorial pathogenesis is accepted for both and both the diseases present quite the same percentages of cerebro-cervical venous abnormalities as evaluated by means of MRI or Duplex exam adopting the criteria for the diagnosis of chronic cerebro-spinal insufficiency (CCSVI) . The aim of this paper is to show that MS and MD present a specific CCSVI pattern.

Three groups of patients were enrolled and subdivided into groups: 70 clinically assessed MS -27 definite unilateral MD [13] (MEN) -51 with other, no-Mèniére, audio-vestibular disorders (OVD). All subjects underwent 1,5 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain during which contrast enhanced imaging of the venous cerebro cervical system and venous eco-Duplex(ECD) according to Zamboni’s protocol for CCSVI diagnosis.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI exists again and this time is related to more prob

Post by 1eye »

Of course, certain xenophobic neurologists will say that all papers written in Italy are suspect...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Please explain the true significance of CCSVI to MS if not all of those with MS have this insufficiency (and yes, I understand that some, even many with MS do, but certainly not all).

Also, consider that some studies have reported CCSVI in almost exactly the same number of healthy people as in people with MS.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

ElliotB wrote:Please explain the true significance of CCSVI to MS if not all of those with MS have this insufficiency (and yes, I understand that some, even many with MS do, but certainly not all).
I don't understand the question.
ElliotB wrote:Also, consider that some studies have reported CCSVI in almost exactly the same number of healthy people as in people with MS.
Many studies have been done. Not many clearly conclude anything. Most say MS has an unknown cause. None of the prevalence studies use any of the methods recently developed by Dr. Paulo Zamboni, using plethysmogaphy or video measurements, even though some have been accepted by NASA as very useful in microgravity. Stenotic neck veins depend very heavily on our common 1G of gravitational force to get blood at low pressure from the brain back to the heart and lungs. Venous blood needs to be properly drained, and if it isn't, MS symptoms can result. Similar, or worse problems occur when it is refluxes back into the brain.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Please explain the true significance of CCSVI to MS if not all of those with MS have this insufficiency"

If not all of those with MS have this insufficiency, why do you think CCSVI is the direct cause of MS?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

ElliotB wrote:"Please explain the true significance of CCSVI to MS if not all of those with MS have this insufficiency"

If not all of those with MS have this insufficiency, why do you think CCSVI is the direct cause of MS?
Not this nonsense again! It is generally accepted that MS is multifactorial. I think there are more than one thing that can cause both MS and CCSVI, including microgravity. More than one thing is the direct cause of MS. Why do you not think MS is the direct cause of CCSVI? I think your question has to do with the generally deprecated view that there is no such thing as CCSVI. This is not a competition. CCSVI is real. It causes some subset of MS symptoms, which may be treated for some indeterminate length of time by ballooning.

The discussion of whether or not CCSVI exists, or has an effect on MS is a spurious one. Ask NASA whether insufficiency causes problems.

If you do not believe this you have a tough row to hoe on this forum. The footsteps are deep.
Not a doctor.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I was not asking what is generally accepted, I was asking for your opinion.

And I am not questioning whether or not CCSVI exists. I find it troubling to accept this condition as a root or major cause of MS when there are people with MS that do not have CCSVI and there are people who have CCSVI and do not have MS.
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

ElliotB wrote:Please explain the true significance of CCSVI to MS if not all of those with MS have this insufficiency (and yes, I understand that some, even many with MS do, but certainly not all).
MS seems an heterogeneous disease. This means that there is not just one underlying condition that produces the known demyelination, but maybe two or more. One of them could be CCSVI
Also, consider that some studies have reported CCSVI in almost exactly the same number of healthy people as in people with MS.
Yes. But positives have appeared among the blinded studies. If a negative appears, it could be caused by a mistake in the experiment or bad practice, but if a positive appears, it can only be explained being truth the hipothesis or by the researcher having mental powers