steven novella's article on CCSVI

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

steven novella's article on CCSVI

Post by Cece »

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/up ... sclerosis/

Any thoughts? We are an echo chamber of denial and belief and that is why doctors, academics, scientists, and science communicators should engage with social media communities? The welcome mat is out for all comers.

Tooth fairy science? He had a valid point, about the need to establish foundational research before moving on to subsidiary concerns, but bringing in the tooth fairy comes across as mocking.

CCSVI angioplasty on MS patients is unethical and should completely stop? My own experience with CCSVI treatment was tremendously positive. I don't want that denied to anyone. It depends on what is being treated. If MS is being treated, then angioplasty is an unproven treatment, but if impaired blood flow is being treated, then angioplasty is a very validated treatment with 30 years positive history. So once again CCSVI needs establishment as its own entity, with its own symptoms, that may overlap with some MS symptoms but which are a syndrome of its own that is treatable through angioplasty. More foundational research on CCSVI syndrome, please, leaving MS out of it, looking at it with the view that MS is a possible sequellae of CCSVI that is itself a subsidiary concern, albeit one of great importance.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Re: steven novella's article on CCSVI

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Cece--
Hope you're well! We have been really busy, and I'm not on here any more. still writing my blog and over at Facebook.
Neuros are making a preemptive strike, as Dr. Zamboni will be discussing his Brave Dreams trial at the upcoming Veith vascular conference, and they want to get ahead of the story, and portray him as an outlier. But they are ignoring the fact that Zamboni is no longer alone, as the ISNVD is growing, and with clinical trials at the Alfred Hospital in Australia and in other locations in Italy. Also vascular MS research at the Gladstone Institute, Nedergaard Lab and Kipnis Lab.

Here are my thoughts on Novella's hyperbolic post...he's not alone :roll:

http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2013/05/h ... -2013.html
Joan
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

The problem with skeptics:

Some who want to paint themselves as skeptics are sometimes willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, for the purpose of self-aggrandizement. True skeptics will attract negative attention such as lawsuits, death threats, etc., because they will sometimes attack targets which are too close to religion. This CCSVI "cause" is full of nobody but dedicated researchers and those willing to make sacrifices. Meanwhile, nothing positive seems to emanate from the self-desribed skeptics. They are the favorites of bored bureaucrats and publicity seekers.

They have to ignore too much truth. Dr. Zamboni has, through his research, established that humans will not survive to colonize Mars without artificial gravity (a spinning vessel), which is not part of the space station's design. Weightlessness has a similar effect to a neck stenosis because humans are fully dependent on gravity to return blood from above the heart. That means astronauts can get CCSVI. Gravity's square-law relationship to mass is a fact of existence anywhere near the earth. If a planet is too small or too large it will not support life. But if you want to build a centrifuge, you had better be familiar with the math, or you might break something.

The blanket statements about MS, that we are all familiar with from neurologists, are nothing but embarrassing, and have been, for more than 100 years.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I want to read the comments on Novella's article, as I like all discussion of CCSVI, but I keep feeling argumentative.

I still think the dismissal of CCSVI because of the idea that its link to MS is unproven is grossly premature. We need to be talking about CCSVI as a syndrome of its own. We need invasive imaging to be researched if that is what it takes to fully capture these valvular obstructions that can be obscured by their own backfill.

Thanks, Joan, for the link to your response.