Lawsuit against Dr. Arata is dismissed

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Lawsuit against Dr. Arata is dismissed

Post by Cece »

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html

The lawsuit made it all the way to the closing arguments and then was dismissed.
frodo
Family Elder

Re: Lawsuit against Dr. Arata is dismissed

Post by frodo »

Is sad that all this happened. Thanks for the information.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

I'm glad it was dismissed. It's an unfortunate case, but it's not plausible that she didn't know about potential side effects given that she traveled so far to have it done. She had obviously researched the treatment extensively.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Before I saw Dr. Arata in 2010 I did my own research. We then went to California and had a long talk before AND after the procedure with Dr. Arata at his office. A couple months later when I had phoned him he called me back on his way home from work. The conversations were always detailed and professional. He was a talker. Don't understand this but I wasn't there during her consultation..........
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/vica ... mahon.html
Instead, he said, she experienced a stroke that left her unable to walk or care for herself. Silberberg said hours passed before Vicary was taken to Fountain Valley Regional Hospital in rush-hour traffic rather than to Hoag Hospital, a mile away.
McMahon said in his opening statement that Vicary’s decline was due to the progressive nature of her illness, not anything done by Arata. He pointed out that the consent form she signed included risk of stroke or death and included language that any improvement in multiple sclerosis symptoms is still being investigated and outcomes are not guaranteed.
There was a signed consent form. There was what seems like a delay in recognizing that a stroke had occurred and an unfortunate choice in not going to the closest hospital. But the case has been dismissed.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Cece wrote:There was a signed consent form. There was what seems like a delay in recognizing that a stroke had occurred and an unfortunate choice in not going to the closest hospital. But the case has been dismissed.
There is a risk of stroke with the procedure. Early recognition and treatment of a stroke has no guaranteed benefit. If you are not willing to accept the small but real risk of stroke, don't undergo this dubious and unproven treatment.

I feel sorry for her, but this is a frivolous lawsuit.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”