Dr. Owiesy's Superior CCSVI-MS Solution

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
vesta
Family Elder

Dr. Owiesy's Superior CCSVI-MS Solution

Post by vesta »

Previously published on my site MS Cure Enigmas. http://www.mscureenigmas.net/

"Just as I returned to work on my MSCureEnigmas blog after a 2 month “vacation”, the ThisisMS.com forum http://www.thisisms.com/ has provided me with the material to write this post. In particular Mark Miller of Los Angeles, AKA CureIous, paved the way by posting the following entry:

Re: Notes from CureIous at Stanford Feb 9, 2017

As mentioned here's a few shots of the posters that my Dr. presented at ISNVD 2016.

There are two, one for his original protocol that has been very successful in treating migraines, currently under submission for FDA approval, and his adaptation of that treatment in treating CCSVI, which has also shown success in the few patients treated. All at no cost to the patients, and using his own resources.
Nevermind that ALL had already undergone traditional CCSVI treatments.

This Dr. is the real deal, which is why I have no problem backing him up 100%, we've seen enough $ grabs on this, he is genuinely all about helping us. What a shame when only IR's now get any traction.

Send me your address and I will gladly mail a copy of each no charge. These are too big to scan and don't feel like messing with it. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mark
lovemystents@yahoo.com...
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: Virtually symptom free since, no relap”

The M.D. in question is Dr. Faro T. Owiesy of Corona Doctors Medical Clinics located in the Los Angeles, CA. area. He apparently speaks Farsi, English, German, Spanish, perhaps French.

Mark (CureIous) then posted photos of the above mentioned posters titled :
1. “An innovative treatment of chronic Migraine and Trigeminal Neuralgia (one hour, one time treatment)”
2. “Autonomic signaling in Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI): A perivascular approach for vasodilation of the internal jugular vein”

SO, What is the treatment?

Dr. Owiesy presented the following paper at the April 29-30, 2016 ISNVD (International Society of NeuroVascular Disease) meeting which focused on the vascular connection in MS. (It would be worthwhile to read the many abstracts on line to see the current research. It’s amazing to me that the medical community ignores the science while criticizing others for being “unscientific”.)

The PAPER

“Speculation that CCSVI and related MS is Caused by prlonged undetected Vasospasm of the OJV and Azygos Vein

Faro T. Owiesy, MD
Corona Doctors Medical Clinics
Corona, California, USA

Synopsis:
Multiple Sclerosis is a disease characterized by demyelination of axons as well as chronic inflammation. Multiple sclerosis exists in several forms; the majority of patients demonstrate relapsing and remitting mode of disease. However, yet no findings or speculation made about the etiology of relapse and remit. In early phase, multiple sclerosis often associated with autonomous dysregulation such as thermoregulatory dysbalance “hot and cold, chills and diaphoresis, bizarre dreams, tachycardia, and migraine headaches. In progressive form, it may present itself with dysesthesia of the upper and then lower extremities. Speculation of initial cause of inflammation, encephalomyelitis, is still controversial. The main dogma” If not viral agent, then autoimmune process!” still Influence etiologic view.
It is speculated that “CCSVI” and related multiple sclerosis caused by prolonged, undetected vasospasm of the Internal Jugular vein, and azygos vein. Intensive studies since 2009 reported by Zamboni et all revealed retrograde back flow of venous content is particularly relevant for the neurodegenerative status in CCSVI, and related multiple sclerosis, which presents its damage at different brain level.
Purpose:
Based on the hypothesis of autonomous nerve switch setting toward autonomic nervous system dysregulation by disproportional sympathetic activation or parasympathetic withdrawal, we out sourced 5 patients with different behavior of multiple sclerosis.
Method:
Patients were randomly selected at our clinic. Informed consent obtained. A sterile mixture of medication dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine prepared and administered directly into the peri –venous space of internal jugular veins.
Results By continuous follow-ups and ultrasound diagnostic imaging at 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, and 48 weeks, status of IJV evaluated for continuous flow and vasodilation. We found extremely satisfactory results associated with neurological improvement in these five patients.
Conclusion: Alternative administration of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine mix perivascularly allows appropriate penetration of adventia and muscularis layer of the vein. It is tolerable and less aggressive.
Conflict of interest and Disclosure: Author has no financial relationship with any organization. The study was sponsored by Corona doctor’s medical clinics in Corona, CA

As further explanation, Dr. Owiesy had previously posted the following on the ThisisMS website

Posted on ThisisMS Re: Welcome to MS fowiesy02 – May 28, 2014
Hi. my name is Faro Owiesy, m.d, practicing family medicine in Corona,CA. In the path of research for Migraine headaches and craniofacial neuralgia for the past 15 years I learned the pathophysiology of the sympathetic and parasympatheic nerve system. Now I treat Migraine headaches -neuralgia with one session treatment with long term resolution. I had few patients with MS. To my knowledge CCSVI associated with MS or not associated with MS is a diesease of the autonomous nerve system with its Ganglia. Autonoumous nerve , sympathetic and parasympatehtic nerves acting from outside of the vessel maily from ADVENTIA not from INTIMA layer of the vessels. Their nervefibers never act and reach the Intima layer.Therefor Baloon Vasodilation -Venoplasty- in 80%-90% is not successful. Because the strangulation(stenosis) acts from outside the vessel not from inside. Peripheral nervefibers of the autonomous nerve system reach the Internal Jugular Vein through vasa nervorum. These nerve fiberes reach the adventia and muscularis layer not intima in arteries or veins. The effect of sympathetic and parsympathetic nerves are not permanent . they are under many factorial influences.Therefore we experience relapsing and remiting of the IJV permanently present. Remitting and relapsing is a character of the autonomous nerve system.
Within the past 16 months I performed a trial approach into the Internal Jugular Vein. Sofar I am experiencing interesting results. Two patients did have Venodilation and flow eversince. Their symptoms improved significantely. The thir patient just a week ago underwent the trial procedure. We will post the trial procedure and the results by end of the year 2014. This entery is only simple introduction into the MS and CCSVI news. Any question or discussion happy to attend.

So as far as I can tell Dr. Owiesy is basically saying that a “vasospasm” causes the venous stenosis observed in CCSVI MS patients, and by relaxing the spasm one can prevent the stenosis, thus putting an end to the blood refluxes. He administers dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine to effect vasodilation of the internal jugular veins. He states clearly he believes the problem is EXTERIOR to the vein, not INSIDE the vein and should be so treated. This idea is entirely consistent with the stress/body tension factor in triggering MS attacks. WOW. What is exciting about this treatment is that it is an inexpensive, simple remedy performed by an MD which will re-assure those who fear alternative therapies like acupuncture, kinesiology etc. (The latter must work by relieving the tension which triggers the spasm. However, the relief is temporary. Presumably Dr. Owiesy’s treatment is more profound and durable.)

Dr. Owiesy’s approach is entirely consistent with my thinking while proposing a simple, sound solution by a recognized medical professional.
Thus far the core ideas of my MSCureEnigmas site have been:
1. Dr. Zamboni proposed the breakthrough idea that MS is essentially a vascular disorder in which the CNS is injured by blood refuxes caused by CCSVI venous stenoses.
2. He proposed dilating the IJV, vertebral and azygos veins with balloon angioplasty.
2. I would expand that essential concept by adding that the CNS is injured by disruption of ANY fluid bathing the CNS (central nervous system) in particular cerebrospinal fluid and blood.
3. I added that the problem can be not so much blockage IN the vein as pressure ON the vein, thinking in particular of skeletal obstructions – bones, muscles, arteries. In this case angioplasty would be inappropriate and even dangerous. Chiropractic treatment would be more appropriate for skeletal obstructions.
4. Now Dr. Owiesy’s idea confirms my intuition that the origin of poor blood flow is exterior to the vein and can be treated manually without angioplasty. Thus is explained my following experience.

On reading about Dr. Zamboni’s Liberation Therapy “ I immediately asked my husband to massage my neck/back, both of us standing. He was to work from the head down to the waist while we both visualized the blood flowing down from my head to circulate through the heart. I felt better at once as the head congestion lifted. Late that summer stress triggered a MS “attack”. I wondered with a heavy heart how much ground I would lose. That evening I performed a TENS acupressure treatment on myself (see Acupuncture blog). I was shocked the next morning to realize the attack had abruptly stopped. Not diminished, not attenuated, but stopped. Years later when I studied my journals and records I realized a Shiatsu massage had abruptly stopped my first major attack in 1980 just when my Neurologist prepared steroid treatment. Opening the flow of blood/fluids was the best treatment.” Quote taken from my site http://www.mscureenigmas.net/

MEANING? The massage/acupressure released the vasospasm to open the blood flow.

O.K. Where are we now?

Dr. Owiesy doubtless hoped for deserved recognition for his work on CCSVI at the International Society of NeuroVascular Disease Conference in 2016. Apparently he was ignored by the Interventional Radiologists who are gung-ho on performing angioplasty in the Internal Jugular Veins of their MS CCSVI patients. While the IRs are frustrated by the lack of recognition for their work by the Neurological community, they in turn refuse to acknowledge the potential of treating CCSVI exterior to the vein. The same group only recently recognized the work of Chiropractors in treating obstructions EXTERIOR to the veins. And no one other than some renegade patients apparently wants to recognize my observation that the veins can be “opened” through massage and physical manipulation. In fact, Dr. Owiesy’s work confirms my thinking while offering a long term medical solution. Rather than having to get a one minute back/neck massage every morning or do a TENS acupressure treatment on myself, maybe I can get a one time one hour session that will correct the problem long term. And for those who only feel confident getting treatment by an M.D., what could be better? (One cautionary note. Some MSers suffer from obstructed cerebrospinal fluid in the spine. Treating venous spasms may not be enough. Also, Dr Owiesy apparently treats just the Internal Jugular Vein. That may be a key vein, but also it may not be enough. My main paper postulates various factors. Did my early migraines portend the future MS? It’s a complicated question, but Dr Owiesy’s solution is simple and inexpensive, so why not try it? So what if it doesn’t work.)

I sent Mark a personal message asking him to send the posters to me via my sister who lives in Alaska. After perusing them she can send them on to me in France. She suffers a serious case of the very painful trigeminal neuralgia (called the “suicide disease”). (What if, in fact, we have the same disease I’ll call childhood “Success Stress”. I have the added factor of the EBV virus following childhood Mononucleosis which is a marker for MS.)

CureIous responded to my comment under the thread “Re:Notes from CureIous at Stanford” on Fri Feb 10, 2017

Thanks Vesta! FYI just for posterity while we're at it I do have the ability to send more than one copy of each for the purpose of possibly sharing with either other patients or other doctors to just Network, there's absolutely no fundraising whatsoever involved in this, just for the record in case anyone thought there was any of that in this.
He reallly needs/desires collaboration with either larger universities or hospitals Etc it would not be that hard to set up a larger-scale study he just needs help he's a one-man Army at this point and one hell of an army I might add... the cost associated with this is so incredibly minimal versus any sort of study involving surgical procedures etcetera that it's an absolute shame it's not being studied harder and faster, as we all well know any one treatment modality is but just another piece of the puzzle that I believe the IRs are missing ,well at least some of them, maybe most. They are simply doing what they do best treating from the inside out he treats from the outside-in that's the main difference.
The ultrasound before and after do not lie the improvements in the woman patient with PPMS coupled with proper physical therapy has taken her from an almost predetermined course that her aunt and her mother both followed and we know how that goes from cane to wheelchair to bed to immobility and she was actually able to get out of her wheelchair and walk that's not a joke. She went from having assistance for dressing and showering to showering and dressing herself on her own this simply does not happen with PPMS patients her condition has not worsened for over 3 years now all from this simple treatment that is why I am so adamant this deserves further investigation and of course not to exclude all other avenues it is just worthy of consideration that's all.

I would stake my reputation and everything I own on this that's how strongly I feel about it.

Thanks for the private message I have that and about three other emails all I need really from people is an address and quantity if they are interested in sharing with others.

Mark Miller

Mark Miller has a right to be excited on the one hand and frustrated on the other at the lack of recognition by the world of medical research and by MSers for Dr. Owiesy's groundbreaking work.. Hey guys, wake up and smell the coffee!!!!
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Owiesy's Superior CCSVI-MS Solution

Post by David1949 »

What is Dr. Owiesy's protocol? Is it something that I could get done by a local doctor?
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Hello David:

I only know what Mark Miller (CureIous) has written and what I found on the internet. It appears the Doctor uses a treatment akin to what is used for Migraines. Why don't you call his office and ask? I am going to try to find a Neurologist here in Paris who will contact the Dr..(May not be easy.) Just ask. Sorry I can't tell you more, but I think it's a worthwhile option to consider.

Best regards, Vesta

P.S. Tomorrow I'm going to send a copy of my above post to Doctor Owiesy so he knows I've sent out this information which hopefully will trigger interest and inquiries. I'll ask him by e-mail what people out of the LA area should do. I'll get back to you once I have more information. Thanks.
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

Following along with great interest
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Thanks for this vesta. And Mark too. Any chance the people that were treated could give us their experiences??
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Hi all, the original thread that began this is here:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 21989.html

PLEASE, as I have clearly stated since starting this thread linked above, do not call his office asking about "his CCSVI treatment", or how much, or whatever. He is not operating a CCSVI clinic, he has a regular burgeoning practice, this was a limited study calling for TWO volunteers that would be able to commit locally, and do repeated scans before/after, as investigation only, so there is no extensive list of patients to list as go/no go etc.

All is in original thread above. As stated there, not every person treated had MS, there have been a few that had other things happening neurologically but still had compromised veins.

Please, please read original thread for more details. Far too complex to treat in one post. Time for me is limited right now, so will get back later with what I have. This is something the Dr. is doing in addition to his regular practice, there is no "CCSVI Clinic" shingle hanging out front just to be perfectly clear. However, there is the poster (s) which he presented at ISNVD 2016 last year, again was covered in linked thread above so all stays in one spot. Those that emailed/requested copies of said posters (poster is like science paper, in full color on 11x17 paper that is dispersed at symposium for other Dr.s to read), were sent out today save for one that I missed, and some time in the next week or so I may get posted online a link to the original .pdf form of paper, same info, different format. Posters are especially good for sharing in person, but obviously the .pdf form is best for online.

Gotta go.

Mark (cureious)
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

David1949 wrote:What is Dr. Owiesy's protocol? Is it something that I could get done by a local doctor?
Hello David:

I think it would be perfectly correct for you to ask your MD to contact Dr. Owiesy and ask the above question. Obviously it will take time for his idea to enter into practice. I just asked my Neurologist in France to do the same. In the meantime consider doing as needed to overcome the "vasospasm" - massage, TENS self treatment. Also, avoid foods/substances which stress which themselves can trigger stress "spasms".

Please consider my 5 steps to MS health.

MS Cure Enigmas
Previously published on my site http://www.mscureenigmas.net

"MY FIVE STEPS TO MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS HEALTH

1. DETOXIFY
“Dr. Hyman explains his 10 day detox diet.
want2bike (From Thisisms.com)
I had the advice/assistance of a kinesiologist/nutritionist and won’t myself suggest a detox protocol. Dr. Hyman maintains that a simple diet change over 10 days will do the trick (or at least be a beginning) which is something anyone can try. So why not?
See also Detoxification and Supplements

2. OPTIMAL NUTRITION AND SUPPLEMENTS http://www.mshope.com.

3. ENHANCE BLOOD/CEREBROSPINAL FLUID CIRCULATION - CCSVI - See Acupuncture (which includes Tens Self Acupressure)
Simple blood/cerebrospinal fluid circulation thérapies such as massage, acupuncture, neuro-muscular electrical stimulation, osteopathy, or swimming may suffice. I do daily Tens self acupressure treatments to stay afloat and try to get an acupuncture or osteopathic treatment once a month. A serious venous blockage may require ANGIOPLASTY. Prior to taking that decision, one might consult a specialist in skeletal disorders (e.g. Chiropractors or Osteopaths) to be certain a bone, muscle, tendon etc is not obstructing the vein. Best diagnostic tool – FONAR Upright Cine (as in cinema) MRI

4. SUNLIGHT OR UV RAYS on the skin at least 15 minutes daily to release Nitric Oxide essential to vascular health and blood circulation.

5. EXERCISE BUILD UP PROGRESSIVELY (Consulting a Physical Therapist can help.)

Be creative. Tif of ThisisMS has recovered function with Neuromuscular electrical nerve stimulation in the Onyx Body Shaping and Slim Spa which uses “Madame and Monsieur Electro-Slim Technology”. Hugo Macia (http://www.secretosdelaesclerosismultip ... pot.com.es.) is testing on himself a German made Neuromuscular “jacket” to regain function. See https://www.miha-bodytec.com/en/product/
He has brought to my attention the Bio-Magnetic Pair therapy used widely in Spanish speaking countries. It may prove useful as an “energy” therapy like acupuncture, in this case magnets are used to harmonize the body’s electro-magnetic field. Maybe worth a try.

I also use the homeopathic remedy Oscillococcinum by Boiron to head off a virus."

Best regards,
Vesta
pairOdime
Family Elder

Post by pairOdime »

Surely a small research group or network in the US could find funding to replicate Dr. Owiesy‘s brilliant work. Use his pre/post model and follow-up schedule as well. Replicate on a much larger scale. What is possible and which research networks in the US could or should be involved?

pairOdime
It's a paradigm shift
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

What I'd really like to know is if there are are people out there that would share the success or the unsuccessful treatment by Dr.Owiesy.

Thanks Glenn
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

pairOdime wrote:Surely a small research group or network in the US could find funding to replicate Dr. Owiesy‘s brilliant work. Use his pre/post model and follow-up schedule as well. Replicate on a much larger scale. What is possible and which research networks in the US could or should be involved?

pairOdime
Also for 81 Charger

Consider finding a specialist in treating Trigeminal Neuralgia who uses the same technique as Dr. Owiesy. Forget about waiting for a « deus ex machina » to save us, we can find ways to save ourselves. Be creative. Be courageous. Dr. Owiesy treats just the Internal Jugular Vein which in some MSers may be sufficient. However, Dr Sclafani treats many more veins.

Dr. Owiesy’s treatment may not work if

1) More veins than the IJV need to be treated
2) the obstruction of CNS fluids is caused by an external factor such as a bone, muscle or artery.

To understand my reasoning refer to the following article I posted on Feb 20, 2018 on MSCureEnigmas.net.

« Consider the work of Dr. Farough Owiesy of Corona CA who specializes in migraine headaches and Trigeminal Neuralgia. He has begun to treat CCSVI-MS with an injection of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine in the area around the Internal Jugular Vein. According to my sister who has struggled with Trigeminal Neuralgia these past 5 years (no MS) she was injected with the same mixture (a different B vitamin than Thiamine) which freed her from pain for a time until an accident triggered it off again (i.e. stress event).  

Dr. Owiesy’s thinking ?

Dr. Owiesy has observed that when the middle layer of the vein composed of smooth muscles go into spasms, blood flow is obstructed. Again the problem resides “exterior” to the vein, not “interior”.  The veins may be weak or somehow defective, but the mechanism which shuts off the blood flow isn’t “intima”.  This corresponds completely to my experience. The treatment?  Dr. Owiesy administers a mixture of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine in the area around the Internal Jugular Vein. Outcomes have been impressive, risks and expense minimal. 

His observations are consistent with the following recent research from the Buffalo New York University Department of Neurology.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 015-9599-y
Molecular Neurobiology
January 2017, Volume 54, Issue 1, pp 362–37
"Impaired Neurovisceral Integration of Cadiovascular Modulation Contributes to Multiple Sclerosis Morbidités".
“Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory demyelinating central nervous system (CNS) disease with an uncertain etiology. MS... we propose that the dysregulation in the neurovisceral integration of cardiovascular modulation can lead to many MS-related clinical symptoms...the manifestations of cardiovascular autonomic nervous system (ANS) dysfunction. The strategies for improving sympathovagal balance would likely prevent and minimize many MS-related clinical symptoms”

Dr. Owiesy has presented at least 2 papers to the International Society for Neurovascular Disease (ISNVD) founded 2011.

My point :

If the same mixture is being use to relieve CCSVI-MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia, perhaps they have a common origin.?

Dr. Farough Owiesy’s work brought the Eureka moment for me. The middle layer of the veins are « muscle » tissue.  Muscles cramp, go into spasms. Inflammation at the cellular level releases calcium which triggers these cramps/spasms. Appropriate Nutrition and Supplements work to prevent these cramps which lead to venous stenosis. That entire process must work in TN as well. Veins are also an issue with migraines. So let’s look briefly at some research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27500771

[Venous compression as a cause of trigeminal neuralgia].
[Article in Russian; Abstract available in Russian from the publisher]
Shulev YA1, Gordienko KS1, Trashin AV1, Pechiborshch DA1, Rzayev DA2.
Author information
Abstract
in English, Russian
CONCLUSION: 
Venous compression can play both independent and assisting roles in the TN genesis. When exploring the trigeminal nerve, examination of the proximal trigeminal nerve is of particular importance, with paying attention to veins that may be a compression factor. In the case of isolated venous compression, the MVD surgical technique has some peculiarities, in particular coagulation and resection of veins compressing the trigeminal nerve root entry zone.

There it is. Veins.  TN Venous « Compression ». CCSVI - MS Venous « Stenosis ». The same disorder, manifesting differently. In TN a severe venous muscle "spasm" crushes the nerve.  In MS the venous "spasm" sends blood back jetting into the Central Nervous System. I won’t look further than that.  I knew nothing about TN until just now. 

So for TN victims, check out my Seven Steps to MS Health. 

Tags : Trigeminal Neuralgia, TN, Dr Owiesy, CCSVI –MS.ThisisMS.com, dexamethasone, lidocaine, thiamine, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, ISNVD

Previously published on

https://www.mscureenigmas.net/