Dr. Beggs' new article March 2017

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Dr. Beggs' new article March 2017

Post by Cece »

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 51220-4_13
Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System
Part of the series Current Clinical Neurology pp 259-273
Date: 21 March 2017
The Venous Connection: The Role of Veins in Neurodegenerative Disease

Clive Beggs

Abstract
The cerebral venous drainage system has often been viewed simply as a series of collecting vessels passively channelling blood from the brain back to the heart. However, recent studies suggest that this system may be far from passive and that it plays an important role in regulating intracranial pressure and the stiffness of the brain parenchyma, as well as influencing the dynamics of the cerebrospinal fluid in the cranium. Anomalies of the cervical veins have been reportedly linked with several neurologic conditions, including multiple sclerosis, and this has led to renewed interest in the role of the cerebral venous system. In this review we investigate this issue and explore the connection between veins and neurologic disease, highlighting the biomechanical links between cerebral venous drainage and the intracranial fluidic system.
"Current Clinical Neurology" -- this would be something neurologists will read?
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Dr. Beggs' new article March 2017

Post by 1eye »

This article is in a book. Doctors may read it if they buy the book, and if it is part of a course's reading list.
1 Emerging Roles of Endothelial Cells in Multiple Sclerosis
Pathophysiology and Therapy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
J. Winny Yun, Alireza Minagar, and J. Steven Alexander

2 Multiple Sclerosis: Clinical Features, Immunopathogenesis,
and Treatment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
Alexis A. Lizarraga and William A. Sheremata

3 HIV Infection of Human Nervous System: Neurologic
Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Treatment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 77
Christian Cajavilca, Debra Davis, Oleg Y. Chernyshev, and Alireza Minagar

4 Central Nervous System Vasculitis: Immunopathogenesis,
Clinical Aspects, and Treatment Options . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 99
Roger E. Kelley, Ramy El-Khoury, and Brian P. Kelley

5 Neurosarcoidosis: Clinical Features, Pathogenesis,
and Management. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 121
Ragav Aachi, Marjorie Fowler, Eduardo Gonzalez-Toledo, Jeanie McGee, and Alireza Minagar

6 Cell-Derived Microparticles/Exosomes in Neuroinflammation . . . . . 139
Lawrence L. Horstman, Wenche Jy, and Yeon S. Ahn

7 Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis: Clinical Features, Pathophysiology, and Clinical Management . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 161
Omar Hussein and Alireza Minagar

8 Autoimmune Encephalitis: Clinical Features, Pathophysiology,
and Treatment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 175
Ramin Zand

9 Neuromyelitis Optica: Immunopathogenesis,
Clinical Manifestations, and Treatments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 187
Shin C. Beh, Teresa C. Frohman, and Elliot M. Frohman

ix
x Contents

10 Immunopathogenesis and Treatment of Guillain-Barre Syndrome
and Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy . . . . . . . 203
Elena Grebenciucova and Kourosh Rezania

11 Myasthenia Gravis: Clinical Features, Immunology,
and Therapies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 227
Wael Richeh, John D. Engand, and Richard M. Paddison

12 Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 249
Robert N. Schwendimann

13 The Venous Connection: The Role of Veins
in Neurodegenerative Disease . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 259
Clive Beggs

Index. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 275
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Post by ThisIsMA »

Great find! I hope the MS related chapters in this book will be read by CCSVI researchers.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Cece wrote:https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 51220-4_13
Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System
Part of the series Current Clinical Neurology pp 259-273
Date: 21 March 2017
The Venous Connection: The Role of Veins in Neurodegenerative Disease

Clive Beggs

Abstract
The cerebral venous drainage system has often been viewed simply as a series of collecting vessels passively channelling blood from the brain back to the heart. However, recent studies suggest that this system may be far from passive and that it plays an important role in regulating intracranial pressure and the stiffness of the brain parenchyma, as well as influencing the dynamics of the cerebrospinal fluid in the cranium. Anomalies of the cervical veins have been reportedly linked with several neurologic conditions, including multiple sclerosis, and this has led to renewed interest in the role of the cerebral venous system. In this review we investigate this issue and explore the connection between veins and neurologic disease, highlighting the biomechanical links between cerebral venous drainage and the intracranial fluidic system.
"Current Clinical Neurology" -- this would be something neurologists will read?
Just the smart ones. Maybe there'll be some smart ones who will see it when they are still going to school.

While I was still going to school one prof told us about statistical analysis of prevalence of the letters of the alphabet and other symbols. These concepts applied in the cryptography Alan Turing and others worked on during the war. They used them to defeat the German Enigma machine, and win the war. They have been used since then, in a lot of cryptography work, and also for data compression. Compression seems to wax and wane, since the cost of storing or communication a bit (technical term) of information also rises and falls (with the cost of, and advances in, memory, media, transmission, etc.).

Also while I was still at school profs talked about liquid crystal and LED technology, then exciting new fields. These are still being developed, but have won at least one Nobel prize, and many dollars/yen/pounds/francs/etc. for investors. In 1980, when I graduated, people were mostly unaware of these fields, but now they use them in every cell phone. I imagine a bit of data compression theory makes these devices go, as well.

My point is, you never know what's going to become of new bits (non-technical term) of knowledge. One thing is sure, the more awareness there is of them, the better your chances are that somebody will do something useful with them.

While we are at it, has anyone done statistical analysis of the prevalences of different diseases? Sorted by the cost to the various possible heath care systems? Sorted by life length? Sorted by years of loss to insurance systems? Sorted by length of disabilty? Sorted by time off work? Severity of symptoms? Anybody?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”