Trigeminal Neuralgia, MS and Veins

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
vesta
Family Elder

Trigeminal Neuralgia, MS and Veins

Post by vesta »

I noticed a post referring to Trigeminal Neuralgia on the ThisisMS website. Because THX1138 posted something recently I assumed the issue was current, but in fact it dates from 3 years ago. No matter. I will copy here what I wrote and also send on the info to my sister. The 2 disorders, MS and TN (Trigeminal Neuralgia), are apparently « cousins » from the same stress related family. This implies they both can respond favorably to the same recommended diet/supplements (not to mention my 7 steps to MS Health). See the THX1138 post below.

« Effect of coenzyme Q10 on mitochondrial respiratory proteins in trigeminal neuralgia.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29424256

consumerlab.com wrote that 100mg coenzyme Q10 taken 3 times a day for 2 months along with standard medication significantly reduced the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. They cited the above stud »

If one consults the entire thread « Trigeminal Neuralgia » under General Discussion on the ThisisMS.com website launched by Jaded on Jan 21 , 2015, there are numerous entries recommended for diet/supplements. A Vit B12 shot did wonders for one TN victim.

On Feb 20, 2018 I posted the following :

Consider the work of Dr. Farough Owiesy of Corona CA who specializes in migraine headaches and Trigeminal Neuralgia. He has begun to treat CCSVI-MS with an injection of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine in the area around the Internal Jugular Vein. According to my sister who has struggled with Trigeminal Neuralgia these past 5 years (no MS) she was injected with the same mixture (a different B vitamin than Thiamine) which freed her from pain for a time until an accident triggered it off again (i.e. stress event).  

Dr. Owiesy’s thinking ?

Dr. Owiesy has observed that when the middle layer of the vein composed of smooth muscles go into spasms, blood flow is obstructed. Again the problem resides “exterior” to the vein, not “interior”.  The veins may be weak or somehow defective, but the mechanism which shuts off the blood flow isn’t “intima”.  This corresponds completely to my experience. The treatment?  Dr. Owiesy administers a mixture of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine in the area around the Internal Jugular Vein. Outcomes have been impressive, risks and expense minimal. 

His observations are consistent with the following recent research from the Buffalo New York University Department of Neurology.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 015-9599-y
Molecular Neurobiology
January 2017, Volume 54, Issue 1, pp 362–37
"Impaired Neurovisceral Integration of Cadiovascular Modulation Contributes to Multiple Sclerosis Morbidités".
“Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory demyelinating central nervous system (CNS) disease with an uncertain etiology. MS... we propose that the dysregulation in the neurovisceral integration of cardiovascular modulation can lead to many MS-related clinical symptoms...the manifestations of cardiovascular autonomic nervous system (ANS) dysfunction. The strategies for improving sympathovagal balance would likely prevent and minimize many MS-related clinical symptoms”

Dr. Owiesy has presented at least 2 papers to the International Society for Neurovascular Disease (ISNVD) founded 2011.

My point :

If the same mixture is being use to relieve CCSVI-MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia, perhaps they enjoy a common origin.?

Dr. Farough Owiesy’s work brought the Eureka moment for me. The middle layer of the veins are « muscle » tissue. Muscles cramp, go into spasms. Inflammation at the cellular level releases calcium which triggers cramps/spasms. Appropriate Nutrition and Supplements work to prevent these cramps and corresponding venous stenosis. That entire process must work in TN as well. Veins are also an issue with migraines. So let’s look briefly at some research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27500771

[Venous compression as a cause of trigeminal neuralgia].
[Article in Russian; Abstract available in Russian from the publisher]
Shulev YA1, Gordienko KS1, Trashin AV1, Pechiborshch DA1, Rzayev DA2.
Author information
Abstract
in English, Russian
CONCLUSION: 
Venous compression can play both independent and assisting roles in the TN genesis. When exploring the trigeminal nerve, examination of the proximal trigeminal nerve is of particular importance, with paying attention to veins that may be a compression factor. In the case of isolated venous compression, the MVD surgical technique has some peculiarities, in particular coagulation and resection of veins compressing the trigeminal nerve root entry zone.

There it is. Veins. TN Venous « Compression ». CCSVI - MS Venous « Stenosis ». The same disorder, manifesting differently. I won’t look further than that. I knew nothing about TN until just now

So for TN victims, check out my Seven Steps to MS Health.

Previously published on ThisisMS.com and on my site
https://www.mscureenigmas.net/

Best regards, Vesta
Rosegirl
Family Elder

Re: Trigeminal Neuralgia, MS and Veins

Post by Rosegirl »

Dealing with problems of the trigeminal nerve (TN) is similar to the ongoing discussion of CCSVI. Are the veins really blocked, and if so, from the inside or from an outer impingement? Likewise, the TN exits the brain past the jaw, and the TMJ can act like a bone spur to cause irritation, either intermittently or constantly. That irritation can cause symptoms upward (like headaches) and downward.

Because the TN also controls movement, the TMJ problem can also cause gait issues, among other things. Just as CCSVI doesn't work for everyone, neither does a dental treatment for these conditions. But for some, an inexpensive dental orthotic similar to a bite protector can work miracles -- right away. It slightly shifts the TJM so it no longer hits the TN. His videos are heartbreaking at the beginning as people are so crippled, but watch what happens when he inserts a little device into their mouths. If only it worked for all of us. . .

For more info, google Dr. Brendan Stack DDS.