Recent article: CCSVI could work for only some patients

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
frodo
Family Elder

Recent article: CCSVI could work for only some patients

Post by frodo »

Chronic Cerebro-Spinal Venous Insufficiency in Multiple Sclerosis: Is It the End?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5880341/

It was published the long awaited Italian clinical trial investigating the safety and efficacy of a venous percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA) to treat patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). According to the authors, venous PTA has proven to be a safe but largely ineffective technique; the treatment cannot be recommended in patients with MS [1].

Anyone who read the seven-page study, however, would have found a second, somewhat contradictory conclusion— that magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) results showed some people with MS, a degenerative condition of unknown origin, benefitted from improved cerebral blood flow, and further study was warranted: The delayed effect of venous PTA six months after the procedure on the MRI biomarker suggests a possibility that PTA may produce benefit for a sub-group of patients with MS. According to the authors this should be further analyzed and investigated [1].
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Recent article: CCSVI could work for only some patients

Post by ElliotB »

ALL MS treatments seem to "work for only some patients" which to me says everything you need to know about their effectiveness. Yet for people in 'desperation mode' it makes sense to try some of them.

I have nerve pain and have tried many products/drugs without success, and recently decided to try a couple more because you never know and I have actually achieved limited but VERY welcomed success in my pain management (after having given up hope of any relief months ago!).