CCSVI and Colloidal Silver...safe?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dlynn
Family Elder

CCSVI and Colloidal Silver...safe?

Post by dlynn »

Does anyone know if it is safe to take "Colloidal Silver" (internally) after being diagnosed with CCSVI?
I have had angioplasty but it has been unsuccessful and I don't want to do any more damage than the m.s. is doing.
Will this cross the blood brain barrier and be harmful to my brain? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am looking for alternative treatments for sinus infections, etc. I'd rather skip the antibiotics
Thanks,
dlynn
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: CCSVI and Colloidal Silver...safe?

Post by NHE »

dlynn wrote:Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am looking for alternative treatments for sinus infections, etc. I'd rather skip the antibiotics
Have you tried a saline sinus rinse such as the NeilMed?

http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sinus- ... egular-Kit

You can get it at stores like Target or online at Amazon.

I have one and use it whenever I feel like a sinus infection is coming on and it always stops it early before hitting the misery of a full blown sinus infection.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Thank you NHE,
I have not tried saline but I will take your advice a harmless solution to a sinus infection. But how about other infections? Do you know if silver would be deposited in the brain and aggravate m.s. symptoms?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I know nothing about Colloidal Silver, so I spent a bit of time reading up on the topic on the web. I found this article on of the better ones:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... dal-silver

From the article:

"Colloidal silver is a mineral. Despite promoters' claims, silver has no known function in the body and is not an essential mineral supplement."

Although I have not had sinus issues in many, many years, I used to have frequent episodes. A treatment that I found worked for me was inhaling steam. There are a couple of ways to do this, you can turn the hot water on in a shower and the room will fill up with 'steam'. Another method - I used to boil water in a pot, put the pot on a table, sit in front of it with a towel over my head and the pot and inhale the steam for as long as I could tolerate it. I found the steam very effective.

I have seen advertisements for a product called Nevage which is used to flush the nasal passages. Don't know anything about it or if it can help with sinus issues but it might be worthwhile looking into it.

Good luck!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

dlynn wrote:I have not tried saline but I will take your advice a harmless solution to a sinus infection. But how about other infections? Do you know if silver would be deposited in the brain and aggravate m.s. symptoms?
I would stick with the saline. Follow the instructions - use distilled water and warm it up to the specified temperature, the saline packets are sterile and buffered with bicarbonate. It'll do a great job cleaning the goobers out. A few years ago I had a sinus infection. I then had what was initially thought to be a bad MS attack. It later turned out that I was both folate and B12 deficient. In any case, I went to the hospital for the "MS" attack and was there for 6 days. They gave me antibiotics. My sinus problems seemed to clear up. However, they came back upon my return home. I used the NeilMed sinus rinse every day for a week. It cleaned me out. There was stuff that no antibiotics would have likely touched. The sinus infection was then cured. PS - Keep a box of Kleenex handy when you do the rinse.

Oh, here's what the NIH has to say about colloidal silver. The silver can get deposited in any tissue and has the potential to permanently discolor your skin, eyes, etc.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver

Here's a brief article from WebMD.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/new ... lver-faq#1
  • What other risks are there from colloidal silver products?

Apart from argyria, the NCCAM says colloidal silver products may cause side effects including "neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation," and that colloidal silver may hamper the body's absorption of certain drugs (penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine).
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Thank you NHE and ElliotB for the links,
And I also found this "Apparently, silver colloids are mostly absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal tract, since colloidal silver does not seem to adversely affect friendly bacteria in the lower intestines. Silver can be toxic to nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, but is normally prevented from entering those areas by the blood-brain barrier. Silver has not demonstrated any evidence of carcinogenic activity". So Colloidal Silver is out of the question...that's the last thing I need
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

dlynn wrote:"Silver can be toxic to nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, but is normally prevented from entering those areas by the blood-brain barrier. Silver has not demonstrated any evidence of carcinogenic activity".
oooh that's a hard no then
I don't trust any of our blood-brain barriers to function correctly!