Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)-

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Huh....that's interesting Marie. I found this study yesterday which claims these venous systems are interconnected in portal hypertension.
In our patient, the azygos vein dilation was probably caused by portal hypertension due to intrahepatic block secondary to liver cirrhosis. The portal, esophageal, and azygos veins play the major roles in venous drainage via the portosystemic collateral circulation in portal hypertension. The azygos vein connects with the portal system through the cervical esophageal vein, which then merges with various groups of veins from the lower esophagus, stomach, small intestine, spleen, large intestine, and rectum to form the portal vein at the hilum of the liver. In a patient with portal hypertension, the portal blood flows back into the splenic vein, spleen, gastroesophageal veins, and intrinsic esophageal veins, any of which may become varicose and drain upward through the thoracic and esophageal veins, thence into the azygos system and the systemic veins.
http://www.chestjournal.org/content/127/2/661.full
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Marie...
I'm finding tons of studies saying that azygos blood flood is greatly increased in the presence of liver disease, and that the azygos is affected by portal hypertension. These veins may not be directly connected, but problems in either of these veins affects functioning. I still think there is a connection here.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

From day one of diagnosis we use only glass utensile of cooking (or olla or stainless steel if unavoidable) as aluminum is toxic and harmful!
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Hi Cheer,
the thing you posted is backwards from what you are thinking. Here's why:

The liver when you have CIRRHOSIS, which is what that article was about,
is all hard and sclerotic. Its entire blood system is pinched. It is the sclerosis that causes the problem of blood backing up upstream, not the other way around.

Because it is all hard and sclerotic the blood can't get through there, the heart pumps blood to the liver but it can't get through because all the vessels through there are rigid, hard and surrounded by scarred liver. Because of that, it backs up BEHIND the liver, causing vericosities in the esophogeal area as your quoted paper talked about.

That's what I was talking about in regards to the alcoholic dying secondray to cirrhosis because of these esophogeal verices, but its a upstream problem when the thing we are talking about is downstream ie the azygous downstream of the head.

But that's an effect of the heaptic problem in cirrhosis, not cause. it doesn't work the other way. Read this part again:
the portal blood flows back (note; as in backwards-mr)into the splenic vein, spleen, gastroesophageal veins, and intrinsic esophageal veins, any of which may become varicose and drain upward through the thoracic and esophageal veins, thence into the azygos system and the systemic veins
The real bottom line is that for the venous insifficiency to be the problem for something it has to be blocked directly downstream of the thing in question and it has to have only a couple of ways out so that another vein can't take the slack. The abdominal system has so many veins that the point Dr Anonymous was making is that it is not possible, except in extremely unusual circumstances like a stricture in the hepatic vein itself, for a stricture to be the cause of portal hypertension.

Obviously if you already have portal hypertension it can cause all kinds of circulation havoc after the fact, as the paper notes.

I made this same upsteam/downstream mistake on about page 3 of this thread too. When I first thought about the CCVI thing I thought of the cirrhosis deal and the fact that a hard sclerotic liver causes esophogeal vericses. I wondered if the hard sclerotic brain was causeing Zamboni's findings---But that's backwards of course.

The venous system is complicated, it gets vastly worse when stuff is going backwards too :?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks, Marie...I actually get it now! I appreciate your patience with me.
Not the first time I've looked at things backwards! :)
(dyslexics of the world, untie!)

I've got a copy of Dr. Franceschi's article, "The Unsolved Puzzle of Multiple Sclerosis and Venous Function"- and found it to be a good, clear, concise summation of Zamboni's and others' work. This section of the paper clearly layed out how something as seemingly "benign" as venous insufficiency could account for the damage we see in MS. I like the phrase "erythrocyte sludge." Very descriptive of the hypercoagulation and high SED rate and endothelial dysfunction we've found in Jeff's blood.
Venous drainage depends primarily on a major haemodynamic parameter called transmural pressure (TMP). The TMP balance is essential to tissue life and plays a role in balancing the liquid compartments. Venous insufficiency owing to a lack of drainage is due to an excess of
TMP. It leads to cellular suffering from accumulation of cytokines and toxic
metabolites. TMP is the differential value between two opposite pressures. One is the so-called external pressure (EP) that presses on the external side of the venous wall. The other is the so-called internal pressure or lateral pressure (IP) that presses the internal side of the vessel wall.
TMP, oncotic pressure and the permeability of the capillaries constitute the triad that determines the exchanges between the intra- and extravascular compartments. When the IP of the capillary is low and/or extracapillary pressure is high, TMP is low and favourable to drainage, and vice versa. The opening of substitute circles in the case of blocked outflow, as shown in the article of Zamboni, also decreases the IP as much as possible and, consequently, TMP. However, over time, in a situation a tissue accumulation of toxic metabolites associated with capillary flow slowdown is the key haemodynamic mechanism possibly leading to tissue injury. In chronic venous insufficiency, erythrocyte sludge facilitates their transmigration, and the subsequent extravascular haemolysis leading to increased pericapillary iron deposition.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

More on Dr. Franceschi's "erythocyte sludge"

A study showing that patients with MS had blood which showed a rise in red blood cell aggregation...another phrase used to describe blood which is more viscous.
As many as 45 patients with multiple sclerosis were examined for rheological blood properties. As compared to controls, the group under examination manifested the rise of plasma viscosity, acceleration of red blood cell aggregation. 26.2% of patients demonstrated an appreciable increase of blood viscosity. It is assumed that these changes contribute to the deterioration of microcirculation and aggravate the demyelinating process.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1706550
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I bought a copy of that paper too. It's interesting, though I was surprised it is such a small editorial comment for the price!

I bought the '09 paper it is good. I hope the money I paid for it goes to the Ferrrara team and helps them!
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

hello -

I have been following this stream since Dec. and I fignt it very promising. My neuro is old school (for a young guy) so I will need to copy all the links presented in this forum and send them to all 3 neuros in my town plus my GP.

Cheer you seem to be the champion of this thread. Is i possible to email me a complied list ot links> There are so many!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

peekaboo wrote:hello -

I have been following this stream since Dec. and I fignt it very promising. My neuro is old school (for a young guy) so I will need to copy all the links presented in this forum and send them to all 3 neuros in my town plus my GP.

Cheer you seem to be the champion of this thread. Is i possible to email me a complied list ot links> There are so many!
Hi Peekaboo...
Welcome to the party. I am only co-champion of this thread with our initiator, dignan, and our resident go-to gal, Marie (Mrhodes40). Here's a fabulous list of all the papers (with links) compiled by Marie-
Zamboni 2008 Chronic Cerebral Venous insuff.....
http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/rapidpdf/jnnp.2008.157164v1

Zamboni 2008 Doppler Haemodynamics..
http://www.bentham.org/cnr/openaccessar ... /006AG.pdf

Zamboni 2007 Intracranial venous haemodynamics..
http://www.ms-info.net/Intracranial_Ven ... erosis.pdf

C. Chung 2008 review Jugular Venous Reflux
http://health.elsevier.com/ajws_archive ... 3A4703.pdf

Zamboni 2006 The Big Idea (I bought this one)

Schelling
http://www.ms-info.net/ms_040504.pdf

Abstracts to support the overall idea that Dignan posted on this thread earlier:
7 tesla...
Raised venous pressure...
Hypothetical Molecular mechanisms...

All of this is about 220 pages, 125 of that is the Schelling paper, a substantial committment on the part of the vascular/surgeon reader.
I would suggest skipping your neuro and finding a vascular doctor to read this. When I brought up the vascular connection, our neuro looked at me as if I suddenly began speaking in tongues....and changed the subject. HOWEVER, the head of one of the largest university vascular depts. in the country called me personally on the phone to discuss after I sent him the papers listed above. He was quite excited, and we see him at the end of April. I've never had a doc call me before, let alone the head of a dept. The vascular docs get it.

NOW...to everyone following this thread. Please ask the administrators of this site to let us start a CCVI forum. That way Marie and I can untangle the jumble of this thread, and break it down into coherent chunks.

PLEASE...Aaron, let us have a CCVI thread.
Thanks,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

Thanx Cheer. Your suggestion is noted and will see what I can do to hook up w/ a vasc dr.

Also I support and will email Aaron re: a total new CCVI forum.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Lyon wrote:Looking back I'm not sure if NHE has ever given us a hint as to whether he/she is a he or a she, but if you PM NHE personally I don't think he or she would have any qualms about starting a new thread....especially since vascular issues are among the oldest of considerations in the world of MS research.
Bob
huh...good point, Bob. I've assumed NHE is a guy, but not sure why. Maybe the "tone." Or the N.H.E. seems kinda masculine. Of course, I spent months thinking Jimmylegs was a guy, until "the picture."
NHE has sent along my and Marie's request for the new forum, but no news yet. Just trying to show there's an interest to TPTB.
thanks,
AC
Ha! PK...I agree! I'd like it in the big print version, too. :)
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I would suggest skipping your neuro and finding a vascular doctor to read this. When I brought up the vascular connection, our neuro looked at me as if I suddenly began speaking in tongues....and changed the subject. HOWEVER, the head of one of the largest university vascular depts. in the country called me personally on the phone to discuss after I sent him the papers listed above. He was quite excited, and we see him at the end of April. I've never had a doc call me before, let alone the head of a dept. The vascular docs get it.
Ditto!! I will repeat what I did;

-I went to my local big University with a medical school's website (U of Washington) and looked for vascular doctors who were professors there.

-I entered the doctor's name in "google scholar" which searches only scientific data bases, or could also use pubmed. This gives you a list of what that guy has published. Look for someone who has done doppler studies, studies in venous ulcers, that kind of thing.

-look at any other vascular docs from the school the same way and pick the best one.

1. Cheer's guy is cardiac vascular guy, that's a pretty good choice because the issues are mainly in the neck and chest not the brain

2. Cureorbust got a neurovascular guy, someone who deals with strokes and things like that, and that office was familar with brain dopplers

3. my guy is a regular vascular surgeon, mostly does legs so we could not do the cerebral veins in his doppler lab BUT he was very interested in the whole idea. We easily found reflux in the vertebral vein.

-Contact the person you choose through his office and ASK PERMISSION to send papers.

I tried through email but ended up talking to his receptionst and explaining what I was doing and what I needed, specifically that there was some new research out of Italy that suggested MS patients might have problems with the venous drainage and that I wanted to see if Doc would check me for it, if he thought it was reasonable, after reading the material. She said if I sent a detailed request to her, she would see that he had a chance to read it. I had her on my side, that helps.

I sent a nice letter requesting his expertise and help in evaluating this idea, explained what exactly the research was showing, and told him that if he was interested in pursuing this I could either email the actual papers or send hard copies for his evaluation.

Importantly I mentioned the numbers of patients the Zamboni team has seen in blinded controlled studies, the fatastic 100% concordance, generally outlined why they think this has a role in MS causation, and importantly listed the 5 doppler tests that are done so he could know if it was stuff he could do.

He called in one week excited by the idea and wanted email copies. He had spoken with his partner and the sonographer and they decided they could do Zamboni's tests and that if we got reflux, he'd go deep and really learn all about it then. We got reflux, and now I await his plan of action--he is emailing Dr Z too, so hopefully we do venography soon cause I am guessing that's what Dr Z'll say to do.

It is my belief that if this is going to go, it will be vascular doctors who do it. They are the one with the expertise in this area, the ones who can do dopplers, the ones who can understand the idea (they deal with venous ulcer all the time, this is essentially the same but in the head; it's kind of familiar) and the ones who will do the venograms and the repairs if needed. If this is the problem in MS we won't see neuro's mainly, we'll see vascular docs.

The vascular doctors have nothing to lose and everything to gain, as a field of medicine, if this is "it" for MS.

And let's be honest; neuro's have everything to lose and nothing to gain from this paradigm.

From the neuro point of view you need none of those vascular studies or procedures. What you need is to understand that MS is autoimmune, even though that's never been proven, and that you have options including CRABS, novantrone, tysabri rituxan all of which you can get in THEIR offices. From them. They believe this is what is best for you. Period.

As a patient I just want the truth and I want this idea evaluated and assessed NOW... because the difference between treatment in this paradigm and the autoimmune one has no overlap.

This is unproven and at this point what your doctor will do with the findings, whatever they are, is in question and it might be worth having that talk up front.

Will he be OK with doing venograms? Cheer's doc is doing dopplers with venograms planned if he sees anything THAT DAY!

What will he do if they can't see more than one abnormal finding? Cure's doctor gave up even though he had IJV stenosis because by their lights they only saw the one problem.

The Zamboni paper '09 clearly states that ANY abnormals are highly significant. I am going to do a thread on that when we get a forum, but some people might read it that only if you have 2 is it important. How the doc interpets that is important

And finally what will you do with the information if you have abnormal dopplers and then a venogram that shows a stenosis? Will the doctor offer endovascular repairs? will you agree to it? Will insurance pay for it, such a thing is experimental we have no evidence at all yet that such a thing would help people with MS. It may not for all I know. (ALTHOUGH, don't forget, Dr Zamboni is presenting his findings of doing endovascular repairs on a group of MS patients April 4-7 at the cxsymposium, so we'll have some idea of that then, fingers crossed----)

I think it kind of depends on your situation financially and healthwise what you decide to do with this interesting but unproven theory that MS might be helped by alleviating strictures in the veins. If you can wait a year or two there will be a lot more to go on, AND a lot more to make insurance pay with assuming it is successful.

It is possible my guy or cheer's guy may do a study or a case study getting the all impotant literature going. That is one reason I used a University doctor....they live to find something new to publish. This is going to be a hum dinger if it is the truth about MS so it is very interesting for a true researcher to get on board!

But if you are like me I have no play room at all, none. I am progressive and even a year is too long for me, I've begun having trouble in my GOOD leg 8O 8O .!! Oh no!! In such a situation, I can't wait for Dr Z to finish what he is doing, nor to wait 6 months for someone else to set up a study then another year to get it done then another couple months to get published.

My darling husband decided he wanted us to go for this NOW, even if insurance does not pay. We plan to push for everything we can get to help. If my guy bails on me, I'm down for Cheer's guy, plane ride and all.

I do NOT personally have answers to the questions I posted above from my doctor, I don't know if my guy is going to offer venograms, don't know if he'd do repairs, have no idea if there is logic for insurance paying for those things once you see that here is a stenosis there. It is after the fact these occured to me. :oops:

(I mean really, if you had a venogram and saw a lesion in the jugulars, could your insurance deny payment for repair? 8O I hope not!)

Bleh! I have post-orrhea. Sorry! hope it helps. I talk like that too :roll:
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Three cheers for Marie for the longest post ever!! Your fingers have to be hurting girlfriend!! Honestly though, whether this is what we are looking for or not, I again applaud you guys' efforts on this. It has been so nice to know that you guys are the boots on the ground and the rest of us can (hopefully, fingers crossed, wood knocked on) all benefit from the incredible amount of work you guys have done on this. It is no small task all the stuff you guys have organized and I know it sure made it a whole lot easier looking for a vascular doc at OSU armed with the appropriate papers and not just showing up and saying "I need you to look at my veins, I have MS". I don't think that would work too well. I still haven't heard back yet, so I may call next week and say "don't you want to be famous?" :wink: