suggestions for American journalists?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

suggestions for American journalists?

Post by cheerleader »

Need some assistance. I'm going over to the conference in Bologna (Jeff can't go- Monk and Ugly Betty are on the air now), and Dr. Z asked if we had any medical/health journalist connections to invite. All our friends are entertainment writers...not much med cred.

I've tried the head health desk writer at AP. Wow...she's quite the gal. I e-mailed her, had a follow up phone call where she told me, laughing, she would "never report on such a narrow topic." This is the woman who just wrote about Steven Tyler's broken arm. There's some journalistic integrity. Anyway, I'm in touch with Reuters medical writer (no go yet) as well as a Hail Mary pass to Meredith Viera's producer at the Today show, since she has a vested interest.

Do any of you know smart, non-pharma medical writers who have a national platform and would like to go visit Bologna, interview Dr. Z and sit in on the conference- paid by Fondazione Hilarescere? PM me or post here.

Thanks,
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Jamie
Family Elder

Post by Jamie »

Try contacting Montel Williams?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Jamie wrote:Try contacting Montel Williams?
Yeah...we've been in touch with his foundation. Not interested at this time. (He's also the spokesman for the pharma bus.)
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Cheer,

What about Dr. Sanjay Gupta from CNN?

Just a thought.

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Post by RuSmolikova »

Try Benedict Carex from The New York Times. His articles about the brain are very informative.

<shortened url>
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

Neil Cavuto (Fox Business) has M.S. and he's been very aggressive about following research since his ability to walk, and more importantly for him, ability to talk, have been threatened. I doubt he could or would go since he's not a medical reporter, but he's in the business and might be a good place to start to get someone good from Fox to go.

Rokkit
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I was thinking along the same lines, like maybe someone at the LaTimes or some paper close to you where you could actually meet them face to face. Maybe the SF Chronicle with a Stanford tie-in? Just random thoughts.
IHateMS
Family Elder

Post by IHateMS »

Neil Cavuto - Fox news - has MS

Stone Phillips - wife has MS

or Dr. Oz
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks, guys...all great suggestions. Off to write more and call more. I think I can, I think I can (ala the little engine that could)
Any other ideas are heartily accepted!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

I'm a magazine publisher with ties to lots of writers and am trying to get to my network to ge a reporter to cover this. I have a connection to Fox News so I'll try to get to Neil Cavuto. I've already gotten to the NY Times, and I have a connection to Nancy Schneiderman of NBC. Keep the ideas coming and I'll pull as many strings as I can to make direct contact.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

I'm going bonkers again...this is so exciting....
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

Oh yeah...how bout Michele Obama?
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

I think Obama is a tough one. Maybe someone at he Surgeon General's ofc would be interested. I'll look for a contact.
Arcee
Family Elder

Post by Arcee »

Joan, I will think and network hard on the journalist angle, but am so excited you are going! Will you be able to post while you are there? Maybe even Tweet for us when it gets good and fast?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Arcee wrote:Joan, I will think and network hard on the journalist angle, but am so excited you are going! Will you be able to post while you are there? Maybe even Tweet for us when it gets good and fast?
Thanks for helping out, bestad....I knew we'd have some PR folks on here! I'm not a tweeter :) but I promise to take notes and write them up for submission on here-I'll have my trusty MacBook with me. As Jamie knows, I don't leave home without it.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”