Plavix and aspirin vs coumadin post procedure ??

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Plavix and aspirin vs coumadin post procedure ??

Post by ozarkcanoer »

Today I visited the office of a professor/doctor of radiology/neuroradiology here in St Louis at the Washington University School of Medicine. He will be advising me after I get my MS-MRI scans in Detroit on December 7. I had a nice chat with his RN. She asked if people were given any medications post procedure. I told her I thought it was coumadin at Stanford and heparin in Europe. The RN said that they use Plavix and aspirin for their post-op patients. Does anyone here know about coumadin vs Plavix ? I know that coumadin can be difficult and I want to know if anyone has any information about Plavix & aspirin vs coumadin.
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

I'm on plavix, coumadin and 81mg aspirin for 8 weeks post-op. And then 81mg aspirin for life. I think almost all of Dr Dake's patients are given similar.
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

WOW Rokkit... you take all three ? That's a lot !
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

I think everyone does. I hate it. Can't wait to get off them.
CRHInv
Family Elder

Post by CRHInv »

Me too, same as Rokkit.
dx 4/09 * Stanford appointment 11/09/09 * One stent left, low jugular 11/10/09!<br />One year from treatment, I have my life back.  Placebo schmebo.
Arcee
Family Elder

Post by Arcee »

I bruised so much we kept it at just the coumadin and aspirin and dropped the plavix for the eight weeks. Now just aspirin.
diagnosed RR in spring '04
1 stent placed in left jugular vein 7/15/09
on and off Copaxone
allergric to interferons and Tysabri
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Rokkit wrote:I'm on plavix, coumadin and 81mg aspirin for 8 weeks post-op. And then 81mg aspirin for life. I think almost all of Dr Dake's patients are given similar.
Are you people really sure you must take Aspirin for life?
I personally do not mind but some German MS patients say something different.
So far, I take 150 mg a day. I will ask Dr. Simka in January how it is. I considered for such a small problem I have not even asked Dr. Simka about it so far.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
Rokkit
Family Elder

Post by Rokkit »

ErikaSlovakia wrote:Are you people really sure you must take Aspirin for life?
Yes, Dr. Dake was specific about that. I wish it weren't so, because I'd rather not. That's one aspect where it's too bad ballooning isn't enough. But hey, let's not get greedy! If this treatment works, I'll gladly take aspirin everyday!
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Rokkit wrote:
ErikaSlovakia wrote:Are you people really sure you must take Aspirin for life?
Yes, Dr. Dake was specific about that. I wish it weren't so, because I'd rather not. That's one aspect where it's too bad ballooning isn't enough. But hey, let's not get greedy! If this treatment works, I'll gladly take aspirin everyday!
Yes, this is what I remeber from this web page. OK, I will ask Dr. Simka on January. I do not mind taking it for the rest of my life.
I take 150 mg a day.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

I emptied my scrip of plavix then stayed with only coumadin thereafter until my follow up, so about a months' worth of plavix. Stuffs expensive too!
Mark.
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I was given pradaxa the first few days followed by coumadin. (Have been takin coumadin for 10 years). Still developed a clot in my stent. Synergy Concepts formally Pacific Interventionalists now prescribe pradaxa.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

At the AAC symposium, Pradaxa was the new most agreed-upon anticoagulant. It's a pill, too.

I am currently taking 2.5 mg Arixtra and a baby aspirin. Last February it was 5 mg of Arixtra.

Ozarkcanoer, there's a big difference between Coumadin and Plavix. Coumadin is an anticoagulant, Plavix is an antiplatelet. They work in different ways. My opinion is that an anticoagulant is what's needed (Coumadin, Pradaxa, Arixtra, Lovenox) and that if an antiplatelet is used, it should be in addition (Plavix, aspirin). But there is not yet research to guide the way. Thrombosis is more likely in patients with stents than those without them. There are also risks to the blood thinners.
zinamaria
Family Elder

Post by zinamaria »

I'm on plavix and a baby asprin once a day for a month post procedure, then the baby for life, I guess.

Dr Snyder answered some questions similar to yours ozark, here's that thread:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-17162-15.html
esta
Family Elder

Post by esta »

At the time, Aug/2010 with Dr. Simka we were advised, if we received a stent, to take Plavix and aspirin, for a year, then asprin for life, after the 7 day injections..
I still ended up with intimal hyperplasia anyways, after finding out after an ultrasound December 2010, at False Creek, in Vancouver.
when i had a consultation with Dr. Hewett from Synergy, Calif. in June of this year, he advised going off Plavix because its been proven not to work in the long run. I can't remember what they use at Synergy.
PPMS. Liberated Katowice, Poland
06/05/10 angioplasty RJV-re-stenodsed
26/08/10 stent RJV
28/12/10 follow-up ultrasound intimal hyperplasia
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Zinamaria, that's with Dr. Cumming, isn't it? That's a change, he used to use Lovenox, I wonder if he was seeing problems or just didn't think there was enough evidence to warrant the use of anticoagulants. He may have addressed this already too. Hope you are still doing well!!

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”