How many are of Celtic background?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Merlyn
Family Elder

Post by Merlyn »

Hello... I am new here, although I have been interested in alternative treatments for MS for many years and have never done any of the standard MS drugs as they did not seem to me to be very effective

This new treatment of Dr. Zamboni's is the first thing that has made sense to me, but I do have a number of questions that is about abnormal iron metabolism I am wondering how many people have Celtic backgrounds in their ancestry... I started doing research on hemochromatosis and was amazed to find out that one in six Irish potentially have genetic problems with iron metabolism in that they accumulate it... Northern Ireland has the highest MS rate in the world I believe, and I cannot believe that nobody has wondered about iron in the brain of MS patients before Zamboni... especially since there is clearly a genetic component to developing MS. When I was diagnosed the neurologist asked me where my ancestors came from and I answered the County Cork and he said oh yes, that is one of the world hot spots
Mutley
Family Elder

Post by Mutley »

Hello Merlyn and welcome!

Good question. My mum was born in Ireland so you've started me off thinking about Ancestory. Hmm......
Mutley goes to Poland 1st symptom was Optic Neuritis in 1998, DX RRMS Jan 2001, DX SPMS 2007. Last EDSS by doctor 7.5
MaggieMae
Family Elder

Post by MaggieMae »

My husband and two of his sisters have MS. Their grandfather was from County Cork.

Wanted to add that my husband's iron levels are low. He is on Tysabri for 2 years now and part of the program requires blood work every few months.
Last edited by MaggieMae on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlyn
Family Elder

Celtic backgrounds

Post by Merlyn »

I just wrote my aunt to verify where my great-grandparents were from in Ireland... also have some Scots ancestry, another hotspot. I was just amazed when I started to do some research on hemochromatosis and found all of these organizations devoted to trying to alert that people with Irish ancestry are at great risk of iron overload! Some of Zamboni's older work is dealing with this iron/inflammation findings in MS patients... I have not been in the information loop really, and I am amazed at the number of people that already gone ahead and had the procedure done and I am awed by their bravery and for the most part results I am investigating IP6 to see how I feel when I chelate iron out of my system

http://hemochromatosiscny.org/irish_at_ ... n_overload
happy_canuck
Family Elder

Post by happy_canuck »

My grandparents came from the Isle of Man (tiny island between Ireland and Scotland) and Scotland, so geographic cousins to Ireland!
paulmur
Family Member

Post by paulmur »

I'm 3/4 Irish. My grandfather was German.
Ruthless67
Family Elder

Post by Ruthless67 »

The information being presented here in this forum is just so INTERESTING! So many people with so many different symptoms, and yet we keep coming up with commonalities! My maiden name is Irish and my folks, had always said we were Irish, English and French in that order! But we really know very little about my dad's family and they were the Irish in the mix.
Lora
hwebb
Family Elder

Scottish ancestry impt

Post by hwebb »

Oops - accidentally posted this as a new topic....should've been a reply to this thread

My brother and I have high iron levels, though are pale-faced, and don't eat a lot of iron-rich foods. Ancestry is irish/scottish (predominantly Scottish). These regions have long been known to have a high incidence of MS:

According to the UK MS website:

'In Scotland, there is 137 per cent more MS than in England and Wales'.

In particular, Shetland and Orkney districts have four times the incidence of MS as mainland Scotland (1 in every 250 people from Shetland/Orkney have MS)

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseact ... ageid=2325
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

Scot Swede Irish English Danish French. The usual mix lol.
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
Kacey
Family Member

Post by Kacey »

My husband is Irish, blood from County Cork, I believe...
strayinma

Post by strayinma »

This is the first time I have ever considered ancestry or genetics with MS - I've always read over it. I'm half Irish, half Lebanese. My mom (Irish) and family are directly from County Cork (Donoughmore). I'm 1st gen USA. Weird creepy and interesting.
andrepol
Getting to Know You...

Post by andrepol »

Where my partner comes from, the folks are supposed to be alamans. (they alamans settled the high alpine valleys here in the 9th century) but the native inhabitants were celts (also archeologicaly proven).
I was told that in Oberwallis the MS rate was clearly over the average, although pretty healthy living conditions (there are here places with NO pollution at all, but she has been living a long time in Bern)...
dunno...
skydog
Family Elder

Post by skydog »

Hmm, Scotch and German Swiss And can go a long ways back in genealogy. Never been mentioned that anyone had MS or even something similar even in our distant past. Slainte, Mark
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
andrepol
Getting to Know You...

Post by andrepol »

Well, in Middle Age, they were just called "disabled"...
And other dideases show/have shown similar symptoms (like syphillis prior to peniciline),
don't you think?
Dovechick
Family Elder

Scottish Ancestry

Post by Dovechick »

Ella's father is a Scott and I am half Flemish and half English. Additionally her paternal grandparents were first cousins and therefore more likely to pass on faulty genes.

There was some research done on a different kind of chronic disease namely the leukeamia that my husband suffered; they found out that people of indian and pakistani origin were more likely to have Chronic Lymphcystic Leukaemia than the rest of the world's population. They discovered that the cultural habit of marrying within the family (ie cousins and other close relatives) was a likely cause of this propensity to CLL. Maybe the same thing is happening with MS.

There is also evidence that MS exists in higher concentration in places where there is a large number of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland, namely Canada for one. All this points to the disease coming with the people rather than caused by the environment, although there is also evidence that there is less MS in the countries closer to the equator, so maybe a vitamin D element...
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”