Childbearing advice after CCSVI treatment?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Rainbolt
Family Member

Childbearing advice after CCSVI treatment?

Post by Rainbolt »

I'm wondering for those females of childbearing ability who have had the treatment, were you told if pregnancy was at all advisable? My husband and I have been getting a little excited about possibly of being able to enlarge our little family if I get this treatment and am back in shape for carrying/having a child. I'm just wondering with the changes that happen due to pregnancy to the circulatory system and the extra high ability of blood to coagulate etc... I wonder if they may worry that pregnancy could cause the stent to stop working properly etc... I know I'm putting the carriage before the horse here but I just wondered and thought who better to ask seeing I don't know the doctors involved myself.
CureIous
Family Elder

Re: Childbearing advice after CCSVI treatment?

Post by CureIous »

Rainbolt wrote:I'm wondering for those females of childbearing ability who have had the treatment, were you told if pregnancy was at all advisable? My husband and I have been getting a little excited about possibly of being able to enlarge our little family if I get this treatment and am back in shape for carrying/having a child. I'm just wondering with the changes that happen due to pregnancy to the circulatory system and the extra high ability of blood to coagulate etc... I wonder if they may worry that pregnancy could cause the stent to stop working properly etc... I know I'm putting the carriage before the horse here but I just wondered and thought who better to ask seeing I don't know the doctors involved myself.
Wow that is a GREAT question! Sorry, I'll baton back to the ladies...
Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

I had the treatment back in June at Stanford. I waited 3 months before becoming pregnant. Since becoming pregnant my symptoms have deteriorated quite a bit but I expect that is just normal for pregnancy. After all the core temperature increases, the bladder is compressed by the expanding womb and the vasculature dilates, including those pesky veins at the centre of each lesion. Furthermore the high levels of progesterone worsen constipation. Curiously my neurologist said I'd feel better if I became pregnant. So far he has got that very wrong. If you have the time I'd recommend enjoying a few more months post-surgery before getting pregnant. :)
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

mmmm I was always told that the MS feels "better" during pregnancyas well. I know that the first 3 months might not be great but hopefully the last 6 months will improve.

Good to hear from you GG x
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

gibbledygook wrote:I had the treatment back in June at Stanford. I waited 3 months before becoming pregnant. Since becoming pregnant my symptoms have deteriorated quite a bit but I expect that is just normal for pregnancy. After all the core temperature increases, the bladder is compressed by the expanding womb and the vasculature dilates, including those pesky veins at the centre of each lesion. Furthermore the high levels of progesterone worsen constipation. Curiously my neurologist said I'd feel better if I became pregnant. So far he has got that very wrong. If you have the time I'd recommend enjoying a few more months post-surgery before getting pregnant. :)
ALEX!!!!!
So good to hear from you and that you're expecting!! The real benefit from pregnancy in MS patients (according to studies) comes during the 3rd trimester, with all those lovely hormones, doubled blood volume and new vessels. I do hope you feel some of the benefits...but the largest benefit is a beautiful, new life. So happy to hear-
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Thanks Cheer! I keep going away and coming back to find the forum has expanded exponentially. How you seem to read every posting, I can't imagine!
Happy New Year!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

I thought I'd update my pregnancy thread which I'm afraid has bad news. I suffered a relapse during the 2nd trimester when my blood pressure collapsed. I am now a week away from delivery and my blood pressure remains very very low. My MS symptoms continue to flare and I am really struggling to walk and sleep owing to the myoclonus which reappeared with vigour in the 2nd term.

Pregnancy alters the vasculature dramatically so I expect I may have a new stenosis somewhere in the system.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Hi GG, So sorry to hear how much you are struggling.
I guess with MS pregnancy isn't the wonderful feeling that many non-Msers experience.
If I were you I would see if I could go to Dr Sclafani's to see if he could do a venogram to check all your veins out (not just jugulars and azygous)

I really wish you and easy delivery and I hope that things improve for you soon xx
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

I'm going to visit Dr Simka as soon as I can as either this relapse is a low blood pressure thing or I have, like Marie, more stenosis. I am beginning to suspect the latter as my symptoms have been so much worse of late even though I'm in the supposedly great 3rd term. Unfortunately America is way too expensive!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Dr. Simka has so much experience, you will be in good hands.

Having been pregnant 3 times as a MSer...I was never so miserable in my life. From week 7 to week 39 (I had them scheduled early). And I felt so much better the moment they were born. I hope this will be true for you as well.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
msgator
Family Elder

Post by msgator »

I had two full term pregnancies during MS and felt fabulous the entire time. Even people w/out MS have very different pregnancy experiences.

Ann
always look on the bright side of life

Veins opened 10/15/10. RIJV still on the small side. Feeling much better.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Gibbs,
You hang in there and be strong...one week to go...I have my fingers crossed!!!
Praying for you,
Why