Calling Dr Simkas patients.........

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fiddler
Family Elder

No surprise... and better for some people

Post by fiddler »

It isn't a surprise, really, and not just because it's a supply and demand issue. When it was just one of the services done by the clinic on an as-required basis, it was being administered by the doctors themselves and the clinic didn't worry about special insurance. Now that it's become so huge (long waiting list, world-wide clientele, high profile), it doesn't make sense for doctors to be doing admin duties any more so they're adding staff which adds to the overhead and getting "insured up" since some of the patients will be coming from places where the first reaction to complications is to sue. Some of the more "high-maintenance" clientele are probably demanding more personalized service, as well. One of the prices of success, I guess.
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
pgm1
Family Member

Post by pgm1 »

Hi Richardk

I'm glad they are putting it together as a package deal this will make it easier for all of us.
Do you know what Hotel you will stay at ? as i already have the Qubus booked.

Good luck on you're trip

Pam :)
Richardk
Family Member

Post by Richardk »

pgm1 wrote:Hi Richardk

I'm glad they are putting it together as a package deal this will make it easier for all of us.
Do you know what Hotel you will stay at ? as i already have the Qubus booked.

Good luck on you're trip

Hi Pam

Initially it was going to be the Park Diamant, but has changed to the Qubus hotel in Katowice, which I assume is the one you are booked into.

Richard
Richardk
Family Member

Re: No surprise... and better for some people

Post by Richardk »

fiddler wrote:It isn't a surprise, really, and not just because it's a supply and demand issue. When it was just one of the services done by the clinic on an as-required basis, it was being administered by the doctors themselves and the clinic didn't worry about special insurance. Now that it's become so huge (long waiting list, world-wide clientele, high profile), it doesn't make sense for doctors to be doing admin duties any more so they're adding staff which adds to the overhead and getting "insured up" since some of the patients will be coming from places where the first reaction to complications is to sue. Some of the more "high-maintenance" clientele are probably demanding more personalized service, as well. One of the prices of success, I guess.
...Ted
Hi Fiddler...I completely agree with you, I had wondered how long the costs would remain so low given the huge demand. This new arrangement takes the treatment to a higher level of organisation, making it a smoother experience for us patients, and, naturally, costing more, but still far less costly than what I understand Dr Dake was charging. When I return I will see what, if anything, I can be reimbursed for by either the provincial health system or extended medical. I'm not optimistic, but can always use it as an income tax deduction.

Richard
Dovechick
Family Elder

cost of liberation

Post by Dovechick »

Thanks for the information, that puts the cat amongstnthe pigeons for us as I have already got accommodation and hired car... will try emailing to clarify, as our trip is 16th Feb.
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

I believe that Dr Simka will honour the 'old' agreement if that's what you booked under. I'm sure he won't charge you the new fee Dovechick. Although, I've emailed him and asked him to clarify that!
Dovechick
Family Elder

Post by Dovechick »

ClaireParry wrote:I believe that Dr Simka will honour the 'old' agreement if that's what you booked under. I'm sure he won't charge you the new fee Dovechick. Although, I've emailed him and asked him to clarify that!
Thanks Claire (Michele here of ms-ccsvi-uk) let me know what reply you get... and I will let you know what I receive. I've also alerted them to the fact that from Europe flight prices increase the closer you get to the date of travel and that maybe it would be a good idea to let people know sooner, rather than only two weeks before travel. Lets see what happens.
PS what are you doing up so early?
Michele,  warrior4MS, mother and champion for Ella, the MSer. The solution is out there we just have to ask the right questions.
ClaireParry
Family Elder

Post by ClaireParry »

That would be the 4 unforgiving children!! Even though I've taken some time off for my MS, they don't give up!

First time I've taken time off though for 2 years, I don't think that's bad.....

I'll let you know what I hear.
acol
Family Elder

Post by acol »

This change was inevitable and generally speaking a welcome development. A few days ago (prior to seeing this posting) I had e-mailed Dr Simka just to let him know that I had booked my flights and accommodation. There must be quite a sizeable number of patients who have done the same.

I would have thought that Dr S would keep to his original agreement for people in this category. We will await the result of Michelle's e-mail.
Nigel
Maestro
Family Member

Post by Maestro »

I got my flight tickets few days ago, too. 8O
V.
lilaclomax
Family Member

Post by lilaclomax »

I am out there on the 16th and 17th March, we have booked and paid for flights, hotels and transfers already and budgeted for the original prices Dr Simka sent us... I hope that we can stick with these, I have not received an updated email and will reply as above if I do.
Robnl
Family Elder

Post by Robnl »

lilaclomax,

I'll be there also 16/17th March! Also for the old prices.

Hope to see you there!

Robert
pgm1
Family Member

Post by pgm1 »

Hi

I was wondering if Dr.Simka gave you times of the appointments and has he sent out confirmation yet?
I'm waiting for confirmation before i book flights or should i call? and who?

lilaclomax
Family Member

Post by lilaclomax »

Robnl wrote:lilaclomax,

I'll be there also 16/17th March! Also for the old prices.

Hope to see you there!

Robert
Hi Robert

I have pm'd you :D

pgm1 - I have not had times yet, just the dates but I was told that Dr Simka will try and accomodate times around you especially if you are flying in on the same day. We are flying over on the 15th so times are not a worry for us.
Dovechick
Family Elder

Dr Simka

Post by Dovechick »

My daughter is going next week and same as everyone here I had already booked hotel and hired a car. I made enquiries about payment and they now want it in advance and at the higher fee. I did try to argue to case, but they would not budge, they made a concession of 500 euros for the hotel and transport...
Still what can one do?