A Postural Connection With MS? Please Answer Poll Questions

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.

When are you most likely to notice a significant relapse /new symptom (RRms) or general deterioration / worsening of symptoms /new symptom (PPms)

Morning after sitting too long (Sitting)
15%
During or After using a wheelchair (Sitting)
6%
During the night while sleeping / trying to sleep (Horizontal)
6%
During or after standing (Upright)
5%
At night while trying to get out of bed (Horizontal)
1%
After or during Walking (Upright)
10%
Following a journey while sitting (Sitting)
11%
In the morning on waking (Horizontal)
22%
In the evening while resting (Sitting)
8%
Rising from bed in the morning (Horizontal)
17%

Total votes: 106

AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

BUMP

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

BUMP

Need 100 votes at least, if you havent voted please do and help complete this poll
Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) | http://www.inclinedbedtherapy.com
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
1eye
Family Elder

pump

Post by 1eye »

I heard tell that the CNS does have a pump, called tha Sodium Pump.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

MRI cerebral blood flow & CSF flow dynamics Posture Stud

Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2005;95:177-81.
MRI study of cerebral blood flow and CSF flow dynamics in an upright posture: the effect of posture on the intracranial compliance and pressure.

Alperin N, Hushek SG, Lee SH, Sivaramakrishnan A, Lichtor T.

Department of Radiology, The University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA. alperin@uic.edu
Abstract

Postural related changes in cerebral hemodynamics and hydrodynamics were studied using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) measurements of cerebral blood flow and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow dynamics. Ten healthy volunteers (mean age 29 +/- 7) were studied in supine and upright (sitting) postures. A Cine phase-contrast MRI technique was used to image the pulsatile blood flow to the brain, the venous outflow through the internal jugular, epidural, and vertebral veins, and the bi-directional CSF flow between the cranium and the spinal canal. Previously published analyses were applied to calculate and compare total cerebral blood flow (TCBF), intracranial compliance and pressure in both postures. A lower (12%) mean TCBF was measured in the upright position compared to supine position. A considerable smaller amount of CSF flow between the cranium and the spinal canal (58%), a much larger intracranial compliance (a 2.8-fold increase), and a corresponding decrease in the MRI-derived ICP were also measured in the sitting position. These changes suggest that the increased cerebrovascular and intracranial compliances in the upright posture are primarily due to reduced amounts of blood and CSF residing in their respective intracranial compartments in the upright position. This work demonstrates the ability to quantify neurophysiologic parameters associated with regulation of cerebral hemodynamics and hydrodynamics from dynamic MR imaging of blood and CSF flows.

PMID: 16463846 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Sleeping Inclined To Restore and Support Your Health For Free. Fascinating Science, Discovery, History and Medical Research In Circulation And Posture.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

I am convinced that (IF) my MS is vascular in origin; then it is due to postural behavior.

I work on computer since 30 years and finally almost roll down to the keyboard :D
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

We need 6 more votes people

In order to complete this survey, we need 6 more votes on the Postural Poll

So if you have not already done so please add your vote and if possible add a comment to let us know a little more about your reasoning for the vote, whatever it is.

Andrew
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Phil Collins and poor posture resulting spinal cord damage

Hi Algis

Thought you might like this:

Phil Collins Overcomes Challenge of Drumming After Spinal Cord Injury

Former drummer and later front man of the legendary band Genesis, Phil Collins has recently undergone spinal surgery on the vertebrae in his neck after years of drumming in a poor posture left him with a spinal cord injury and nerve damage. Collins told Rolling Stone: “My vertebrae has been crushing my spinal cord because of the position I drum in. It comes from years of playing. I can’t even hold the sticks properly without it being painful.” More on Phil Collins:-----
http://www.andrewkfletcher.com/index.ph ... id=30#p674
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Thank you Andrew; but it does not surprise me at all. A world-known violinist that I meet sometimes has the same (well; similar) problem after 40 years of intense practice. She cant play any more than few minutes without having 'eye flashes' and 'numb arms and fingers'.

She is seeing a chiropractor with 'very' mixed results.

Cheers!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

You forgot the option of "none of the above" in the poll
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Hi Cure

Hard to fathom out what someone would be doing at the time of their downturn if not either standing, sitting or laying down. Spose they could be sky diving, or swimming :lol:
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Posture Poll for people with ms 100 vote Target Reached

A big thank you too all the people who voted on the MS posture survey 100 votes is A fantastic response from the people at Thisisms and from my friends on Facebook and at the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre. This has proved to be a very interesting POLL showing a clear connection with sitting and sleeping postion. The Survey will remain open so if you have not yet voted lets make it 200 votes. I will be forwarding the results to the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre in Essex and to Professor Zamboni, Dr Claude Francheshi, Dr Franz Schelling and others to learn how they view the results.

Some very interesting patterns indeed.

Andrew
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

AndrewKFletcher wrote:Hard to fathom out what someone would be doing at the time of their downturn if not either standing, sitting or laying down. Spose they could be sky diving, or swimming :lol:
I ccant speak for others, but a relapse / downturn is not a bolt of thunder, it occurs over time, over which you may end up doing all of the above; including "sky diving, or swimming :lol:".
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Reply from Dr Franz Schelling on MS Postural Survey

Email: Permission Obtained From Dr Schelling to share
RE: Posture Survey conducted on Thisisms Forum reached 100 vote target‏
Sent: 19 June 2010 08:16:04
To: 'Andrew K Fletcher'

Dear Andrew,

The discrepancy between 1% deteriorations noticed at night while trying to get out of bed and 17% upon rising from bed as well as 18% upon waking in the morning appears remarkable.

In regard of the underlying haemo- and CSF-dynamic events, Alperin’s study fails to take into account that it is respiratory and other other bodily movements and exertions which alter intra- cerebral and –spinal fluid dynamics for more abruptly and intensely than arterial pulsations.

What I would yet primarily be interested to learn more about are the effects of raising the MS patients’ beds at different angles – and the dependence of these effects upon the presence of different forms of stenosis of, on the one hand, lesion-related and, on the other, not lesion related venous drainage systems of the brain.

Sincerely,

Franz
scorpion
Family Elder

Post by scorpion »

CureOrBust wrote:You forgot the option of "none of the above" in the poll
I agree Cure that relapses are generally gradual. I would have to answer none of the above. My relapses occurred slowly. My episode of ON occured
while on the treadmill at a gym. I don't see that as one of the options.
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

scorpion wrote:
CureOrBust wrote:You forgot the option of "none of the above" in the poll
I agree Cure that relapses are generally gradual. I would have to answer none of the above. My relapses occurred slowly. My episode of ON occured
while on the treadmill at a gym. I don't see that as one of the options.
Treadmill is walking
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

BUMP